3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

GVWR vs GVW ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GVWR vs GVW ???

On my driver's door jamb the GVWR states: 9,900 lbs. However the original "window sticker" shows "GVW Rating 12,200 Pounds".

Given that "GVW of a vehicle is constantly changing ..." how can it be stated on the window sticker? And how can the stated GVW be so much greater than the GVWR?

Can anyone here explain the GVW stated on the window sticker?

How Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) Works | HowStuffWorks

Old 09-30-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
GVW is what the vehicle weighs at ant point and time'

GVWR is the maximum allowable weight

If the window sticker gvwr is higher than the door sticker, then I would imagine the dealer has installed a tow package or something to allow for the 12000 gvwr.

The way I read the picture you posted is that is the GVWR. They just spelled the word "rating " instead of using gvwr.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What the weight police look at besides VIN when weighing your vehicle on the spot is the door jamb sticker.

If its a 3/4 ton, its probably the lower number. I would trust the dealer about as much as I would trust Kim Jong Un.

The difference between the ACTUAL weight of your rig in tow-ready form with wifey, kids, dogs, firewood, toolbox, ammo, in bed fuel tank, etc. and the vehicle's GWR from the door sticker is payload. Payload is usually the limiting factor in the confusing weight capabilty equation when you factor in loaded fifth wheel pin weight, for example.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GVW and GVWR are the same thing, the weight of the truck with max payload. NVW is your empty weight, usually with a certain amount of fuel and sometimes an approximate driver weight.
GCVW is your weight including what you are towing and the truck payload.
With a difference between window sticker and door sticker, it's probably what ftltmp said, they added helper springs for a camper package or something. The dealer, or whoever added the additional rating equipment, should have updated the door sticker with official documentation for the larger rating.
But, regardless, the police are going to look at your registration first, and ticket you based on how much over your registration GVW your truck weighs. They are mostly concerned that you paid enough to the state to weigh that much. They gotta have their money, you know.
After that, usually in an accident investigation, they will look at the door sticker to see if you are exceeding the manufacturer's specification for weight ratings to help determine fault in said accident.

Chris