3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front Splashguard Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Splashguard Mounting?

Has anyone put the molded front splashguards on - are they easy to install, do you have to drill holes? Are you happy with the way they work?

I get a lot of winter time slush that collects along the wheel wells and the cab steps, and hope to do something to help with this before winter gets here.

Thanks for inputs, or other suggestions.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 PM

I installed the Husky mud guards and am very happy with them. You only need to drill one hole. The other holes line up with existing screws. If you have a 90 degree drill adapter, you won't have to pull the wheel off. I just used a stubby screwdriver to tighten the screws.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM

I looked at the molded plastic splash guards and did not care for them. The HD rubber ones that MOPAR sells are larger and cover/protect a bigger area. If you like the look of the rubber ones, I'd suggest going back to the dealer and trading yours in for the rubber units.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not bought them yet, just trying to find out what others have experienced. I was hoping if I stick with the Dodge ones that I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the metal, just becasue I don't want to make a hole where rust could get started. I didn't realize they had two types, I will ask about these at the dealers next week.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Husky Liner splash guards that I installed uses existing holes in the fender sheetmetal. The only hole to drill is in the plastic wheelwell liner.

MikeyB
Old 09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Tom

RDM16CTD,

I've had molded Husky guards for about four years. They work okay, but I wish they covered a larger area...especially longer.

If you install the molded type, but sure to use the 3M clear guard, which came with my Husky set, so the paint doesn't get rubbed off by guard when it vibrates.

Tom
Old 09-04-2006, 07:12 PM

The place I bough mine from ran out of rear mud guards for Dodges. They said the Ford ones were just a little bigger but would work fine. so I have Dodge in the front and Ford in the rear, and it looks good. I had to drill holes though. Also, I had to remove both front inner-fenders for the install. But I'm happy with them.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 AM

I used the dodge molded ones in the front and rubber in the back. You have to drill a hole for the fronts and for the back. The back was just in the plastic liner, but you can drill it from the backside so you don't have to pull the wheel. On the front just turn the steering wheel and you can get in there. The front come with some sealer goop on the screws so in theory it seals up as you put the screw in. Personally I would dab some primer and touch up paint on there first.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Finally amde it to the dealer, and checked out two types of front splash guards. They both look OK, but I decided to hold off and check into the Husky guards to see if those are better. Both types of the Dodge guards looked like they need another hole

I did pick up a set of the rear wheel well liners - can't wait to install them. These are going to be a good addition, I like to keep the truck looking clean and these will make it much easier than keeping up with the springs, axle, etc.

So next step is to see if I can find a local source for the Husky guards so I can 'try before buy'.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:22 AM

I have the molded Dodge splash guards and like them alot. I did notice that the molded part will accumulate water in the rain, so I drilled a couple of 1/4 inch holes in the bottom and that fixed it.

Pete
Old 09-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Drill Holes

My fiancée’s father owns a body shop. He said when using heavier guards you must drill holes and use a washer behind the fender (with a nut and bolt of course). The metal is too week, it will bend or crack (he sees it all the time, on all makes). You can put the nut on by opening the door. He does this for the last two bottom bolts on the back side.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 PM

I originally went for the biggest front and rear mud flaps I could find - figuring that with the 19.5" tires I'd be picking up a few more stones and I would have more ground clearance to play with.
Winter came and I went back to the stock tires as I wanted a bit softer ride and didn't need the extra weight carrying capacity. Spring and I needed to get into the back '40 to pick up some firewood - I caught a big stick between the tire and big front mud flap while reversing - and rather than the mud flap coming off, I pulled the front sheet metal down....ouch.
500 bucks later, it's almost as good as new.

Lesson learned - bigger is not always better....by the way, drill pilot holes and used self tapping or sheet metal screws, preferably stainless
Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 PM

If you just want them for looks, they're ok. They wear the paint off the truck, by rubbing back and forth as you drive. You should put 3M tape under them , on the truck before you mount them. They also collect dirt, sand, etc. inside of them, and it cannot wash out because they are a plastic bowl on the bottom, basically. Personally, I think they are garbage, and I just took a set off the back of the 05 I bought, and replaced them with the MOPAR heavy duty rubber RAM flaps. I am not sure if I will advertize them for $20 OBO, or just throw them away, as I think they are useless. (IMO)