3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front end rattle/clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front end rattle/clunk

So I just got done reading 100+ posts talking about front end rattles and clunks, but none mention if the brakes are applied or not, so here goes my question:

I've got a clunk/rattle that sounds metallic when moving at slow to medium speeds over rough roads. It only happens when the left front tire hits a rock or hole, and it doesn't happen at all when the brakes are applied even the slightest bit. I don't feel it through the steering wheel or floorboards. I can't imagine brake pressure tightening up tie-rod ends or bad ball-joints, but I'm at a loss here. I've had it in the air and pulled the tire every which way; spun the tire forward/backward; lifted up the suspension arm with a pry bar looking for a bind or pinch, and still nothing. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
your left front caliper is loose in its slides.

Ask me how I know.

The 05 was driving me nuts, I went through that thing with a fine tooth comb. ( and boy did its hair look purdy.....) Ummmm, anyway.

What I finally did, was reached behind the right front wheel, and gave the caliper a shake... lo and behold, it was loose, so then the test was take it for a drive over some washboard. Brakes off, rattle like a bugger, brakes on... no rattle.

Pulled the wheel, and actually had to shim the caliper slide. no rattles since.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same rattle. I will have to pull the wheel and take a look at the caliper.
Pind - where do you put the shims?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I put some thin shim material under the slides, between them and the caliper bracket. DO NOT use too much, as the caliper has to be free to slide, you don't want it hanging up at all.

I also checked the bores for the caliper pins, they were equal on both sides, yet one side seemed a little loose. The shim fix was simply to buy time until I can rip it completely apart and fix it properly.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by pind
I put some thin shim material under the slides, between them and the caliper bracket. DO NOT use too much, as the caliper has to be free to slide, you don't want it hanging up at all.

I also checked the bores for the caliper pins, they were equal on both sides, yet one side seemed a little loose. The shim fix was simply to buy time until I can rip it completely apart and fix it properly.
Thanks Pind, I will give it a try. What do you think is the real fix, replacing the calipers? Maybe rebuilding them?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Pind!

Guess I'm pulling it into the garage tomorrow after work.

I like your location: Last time I hit Whitehorse (December '07) I was moving up from Colorado and broke a trailer spring. I watched in amazement as the good folks at Tamarack Welding lifted it off the ground (with all 13Klbs of my worldly belongings in it) and replaced not just the broken leaf, but also the equalizers on both sides and then they gave it an alignment to boot. The equalizer on the side without the broken spring was so worn it probably wouldn't have made it to Tok without failing. Can't say enough good about those folks.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM

It could also be the sway bar end link, I chased the noise for months before I found it on my 05. Just pry on the sway bar link joints, its an easy check.

Lmurphy