3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front end noises 2008 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end noises 2008 6.7

Dealers been trying to chase down a "thumping" sound in my front end. Sounds like it is coming from drivers side. They have replaced steering box and both lower control arms. They indicate the track bar, ball joints and drag link are good?

Noise is noticed on blacktop washboard but only after truck is driven awhile?

Noise is very distinct when putting a load on the bumper ie: camp trailer.

It is not metallic sound...more of a dull thud which I think I can feel in steering wheel?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtfoxtrot
Dealers been trying to chase down a "thumping" sound in my front end. Sounds like it is coming from drivers side. They have replaced steering box and both lower control arms. They indicate the track bar, ball joints and drag link are good?

Noise is noticed on blacktop washboard but only after truck is driven awhile?

Noise is very distinct when putting a load on the bumper ie: camp trailer.

It is not metallic sound...more of a dull thud which I think I can feel in steering wheel?
This may sound stupid, but check your windshield wiper fluid bottle. Mine had a random thud sound out there when crossing railroad track, or short hard bumps similar tho that. I wiggled the wiper fluid bottle and there was my noise (I learned that in another thread here a long time ago looking for my noise). All I did was loosen the top bolt, slide it over a hair and re-tighten. Problem solved. May or may not be it, but worth taking a look. Good luck!

Brian