1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front end/Transfer case making some scary noises and vibrations

Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end/Transfer case making some scary noises and vibrations

Hi all,

Well just tonight my truck started to scare me. It's been snowing a lot lately and the roads in town are slick and snowy so naturally I've been putting it in 4x4 alot. Anyways tonight I put it in 4Hi and I start going and it made this banging sound from what I'm *guessing* the right side of the axle. After that the transfer case made this grinding noise. Plus it now vibrates when in 4x4 and I want to say its the right side of the axle again. So with the vibration and noise I'm pretty sure something is broken, bent or malformed . I try to shift it into 4hi when I'm just rolling along but there have been times when I've shifted it into and out of 4hi with some speed (read less than 40mph). I'm guessing that that has something to do with it.

Once my garage is free of a dead car (sister's car died) I'll pull it in there and take a look. I have a feeling this isn't going to be cheap .
Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the cheapest replacement item first - the front drive shaft U-joints.
Unlock the front hubs and put it in 4WD. See if you have the same vibration.
If yes, then pull off the front drive shaft & retest.
If it stops vibrating the problem is usually a bad u-joint on the flanged end of the shaft.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup. Front driveshaft is likely the culprit from your description. If it's bad enough, you might gross out the axle yoke too, so just putt around in 2x4 untill you can have a look.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 PM

Smile

Hi All,
Mine did that , and it turned out to be the axle u-joints.

Mike
Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Well it looks like aicomp is right, I'm pretty sure that I ruined an axle u-joint or both of them, but it only feels like one. Anyways with my sister's car out of the garage I can get a look at it tomorrow since its a day off from school. How much would a set of u-joints run me?

Thanks

Lucas
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think u-joints for a d60 are cheap...but I haven't bought any, either...FWIW, mine are shot...I mean NO needle bearings shot, and I've driven 60mph with just a slight vibration. I know I'm running on borrowed time, but listen to this--I pulled 15 pine trees out this summer with the truck in 4lo...and when I say out, I mean like, out of the ground by the roots 20psi 4low...knowing full well that the joints were bad. On the last tree, the front driveshaft broke...just have a look at the driveshaft u-joints while you're in there
Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Well thats comforting. Chalk up another one for the 1st gen's toughness . I'm going with a buddy tomorrow to get a part welded for his 01' GMC Sonoma turbo project and after that my tank goes in the operating room .

Stupid question but is it bad to leave my hubs locked while driving out on the highway and obviously in 2 wheel drive? I've heard it can shorten the life on some parts but I'm not sure. It gets to be a pain in the **** to get out and lock the hubs constantly, especially in snow and mud.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you get quality ujoints or you will be doing it again real soon, stick with Dana Spicer. The best in my book.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs

Stupid question but is it bad to leave my hubs locked while driving out on the highway and obviously in 2 wheel drive? I've heard it can shorten the life on some parts but I'm not sure. It gets to be a pain in the **** to get out and lock the hubs constantly, especially in snow and mud.
While I can't answer that question, I can tell you I leave mine locked.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:57 PM

some times you can lengthen the life of the joints by having it lock in!

If them needle bearing, set dormant, they can create grove that will cause noise when you do us it!

BUT....A hub that never gets unlocked could cause quicker ware!