3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Navigation

I'm thinking of swaping out my stock radio/cd player for one of the Dodge navigation radios. I was wondering if anybody here that has one could post some pictures of how the screen looks while navigating. I've seen some in best buy and such that look cheep and crappy. I'm use to using my Dad's Tom Tom and wanted to see what the Dodge ones look like.

Also, how easy is it to enter info, change info ect on the fly? is it touch screen? What other features do they have?

I went to my local dealer and asked to "test drive a nav radio" and they asked if I was looking to buy a new truck. I said no and they said then no test drive. Didnt even bother to let me turn the key in one and look at the nav system. Nice fellas I tell ya!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM

If you get the new REC Nav or My gig it wont let you change the location/search while in motion, just a safety thing I guess, so the drive isnt distracted. If I had the new canbus style and could upgrade, I would. Its better than the previous RB1/RB4 nav.
They also do make "cracks" so you can change nav settings while in motion, AS well as watch DVDs thru the stock REC unit
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM

I've got an '06 w/the factory unit and love it - more than I thought I would. Although I've never used another system, I have looked at others, and I do like the way my DC factory unit looks and operates compaired to what I've seen. It's pretty easy to use and operate. It's not a touch screen, you use a joy-stick and buttions to manuver. It's very accurate and has a lot of useful data like emergency numbers (police, med facilities, fire, etc), gas stations, hotels, banks, addresses and phone numbers. I'm sure there's better available with newer stuff if you decide to purchase a non-factory unit. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Hey stacked..... I knew they made the disc to override the stop to enter thing, BUT how do I find out bout that DVD thing. Definately interested in that. Plenty of times while sittin waitin for kids at a school or somethin I would have liked it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM

I am not very happy with my REC unit, any $150-200 handheld unit such as a Garmin or Magellan is much, much better in my area for guidance, in fact I have not been on a road yet that has turn by turn guidance with the REC. I have a Magellan and it will give me turn by turn down back trails. This thing won't on our primary highways.
There is an "in motion" hack, it works, I did it to mine, now at least I can play with it while i'm driving. But entering info is kinda cumbersome, it has a rotating joystick thing, I find it hard to use, and it seems hard to see the highlighted selections. A touchscreen would have been nicer. For the $2000 or more that they charge for it as an option it is a crime that it isn't better.

edited to add: I also don't like the fact that the updates for the thing are like $200! When most other Navigation manufacturers post there updates on the net for free..

I don't know about the DVD option, I don't think it will because the only DVD drive in it is the one for the NAV disk.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Hey stacked..... I knew they made the disc to override the stop to enter thing, BUT how do I find out bout that DVD thing. Definately interested in that. Plenty of times while sittin waitin for kids at a school or somethin I would have liked it.
Its not cheap, but shoot, if I had an '06+, id deffinantly get it, I actually like the factory nav radios quite a bit...

http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm

Edit, I think the DVD in motion and all that is for the MyGIG radios
But the lock pick does let you input video to it.(Not sure if you can while in motion though)
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM

I would just go with a aftermarket one. I really like my Kenwood navi, the navi is by garmin plus a 7" touchscreen makes it really nice to use, and the hack to use while driving is so simple. Plus getting a factory navi isn't going to be cheap at all.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM

I just checked out the link for lockpick http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm
It looks like a good product.

I did the in motion hack from here http://www.carhack.org/forum/
you just need to rip the nav disk, apply the hack to one of the files, then reburn the nav disk (dual layer DVD) and you have full functionality while you drive. It looks like they are working on a nag screen hack also.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM

I just emailed that company to see if that lock pick allows me to play dvds on my rear dvd player but view them on the front screen (nav screen) I think it will because they ARE integrated.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 PM

I asked about the stock one because I've seen them on ebay for $500-700 and figured they'd be easier to install. What would an aftermarket one run me (for something similar to Dodge's) and how more involved would making it work be?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 PM

I have been VERY pleased with my REC NAV. While I have not used it out on cow paths (no way to program them in as a destination) it has done an excellent job when programmed, turn for turn have been correct. I have programmed it for many trips, to MM, MI, PA, FLA and even CA.

When I am just driving around I turn it on, it gives accurate positioning, and it does show trails and albeit unnamed cow paths accurately as well.

I have a recent fall 2008 release disc, it was modded to work in motion, works fantastic on the fly programming. If you get the REC NAV and want an 'opened up' disc, I can put you in touch with the fellow that does the work.

I'd buy another one in a NY minute. It will be an option in every vehicle I buy in the future, may even get one to put in my Jeep Wrangler if it's possible to put one in.

CD
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Would any of yall mind taking a few pics of what the screens look like. I'd like to see what I'd be looking at while just listning to the radio or a cd, what it looks like while in 'navigation' mode, and so forth.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM

My kenwood cost me $475 used. The great thing about it is it's miles ahead of the Rec etc in terms of audio for connecting subs, amp, etc. The install is pretty straightforward, you need to buy an extra harness if you have the infinity (makes the install a breeze). It would take a few hours if you've never done one. They look intimidating because there is a TON of wires, but it's very easy. Mind you the price i'm in Canada and stuff is more expensive here, and you can use a double din which are cheaper yet again, a good one is like $500-700 new.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by 13MWZ
Would any of yall mind taking a few pics of what the screens look like. I'd like to see what I'd be looking at while just listning to the radio or a cd, what it looks like while in 'navigation' mode, and so forth.
You could type "rec navigation" into google and hit "images" at the top left, there are plenty of pictures. If there is something specific you want to see, I could take a pic of it.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You will be a lot happier with an aftermarket navigation unit. The REC is ok but lacks many of the added features for the same or usually cheaper price. With an aftermarket unit you will get DVD playback, iPod control, etc pending what unit you get. The mygig unit is not available in the HD trucks, just the 09 1500 and Durango and cars. My wife has one in her durango and its ok, heads and shoulders above the nav unit that comes in the HD trucks. The unit that would work in your truck is not touch screen. It is unlockable but the harness used to unlock the dvd functions and motion use is quite expensive. To unlock my Pioneer nav unit took about 4 mins and was free. Look around here www.onlinecarstereo.com they have new stuff at really good prices. I recommend either a Pioneer or Kenwood head unit.

Quick Reply: Factory Navigation