3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stand the Stock Dodge Nav system. Updates are expensive, scrolling through the different letters is a pain, and the **** is prone to breaking off. You have to spend big money to mod the system to run either DVDs or a back up camera, and the in motion cut out is ridiculous. My Garmin Nuvis run circles around the stock system. If I had it to do again, I'd get an aftermarket set up.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM

kenwood navi also updates with a flash drive so you don't need to bother with discs. The only thing better about the rec is it looks a bit better in the dash being factory but even the new double dins look real good.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Thatnks for all your advise. I stoped at a differant dealer today to ask about the factory ones and the accesory guy told me straight up "it's a waist, here's a number to a good aftermarket place". So I called them but they didnt have any instock due to a fire. Stoped by Best Buy and got to see a kenwood and a pioneer. The pioneer display unit was broken so I didnt get to play with it, and the kenwood didnt have the nav upgrade and the touch screen was way off (had to touch about a half inch down and right of each button)
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I usually avoid the big box places (best buy, circuit city etc) there techs are usually a step or two behind the local guys and you will get better service from the little man. The kenwood unit on display have probably been poked prodded jabbed and molested so many times im suprised its still working. Find a reputable local audio shop and take some time to talk with the guys, or gals, who work there an you wont be disappointed. I do suggest thought that if you are even slightly electrically inclined, try installing it yourself. After you get your first one under the belt, its a breeze and a youll feel pretty good about yourself to...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Most all aftermarket units are pretty much a plug and play installation. You DO need to be thorough about what things are necessary (adapter cables, additional crossover boxes, antennas and the like) but once you have your grocery list correct for what you are installing it's just a simple process of following the instructions, and following them anally. Web sites like Crutchfield have all the information to make your aftermarket purchase needs a breeze when just installing the head unit to your in-truck existing speaker and amp equipment. It does get a little more complicated when you are changing amps, installing subs, in general a much more detailed system. But, in the overall, just doing the head unit to somethng with nav/dvd/increased disc capacity and all the other stuff is cut and dry plug and play installs.

Finding all the information from Dodge to take things apart is a whole other issue.

CD
Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM

I just did a pioneer navi in my truck. The bezel was 80 shipped from Ebay, the dash kit was 12 dollars, my truck had the canbus adapter needed from Metra already, and the navi unit was 500 on clearance from Circuit City because they're going out of business. All in all, I think I have 650-700 into my setup because I purchased an Ipod adapter as well which is truly a sweet interface on this unit.

This unit also has bluetooth capabilities, a microphone for use with your phone, is updateable, and stores the maps on flash. The unit I got does not play DVD's, but I don't care. It accepts video input, which I can do from my rear DVD player. Also, it can be found for much cheaper on Ebay than what I got it for but I'm not a big fan of electronics on Ebay personally. Only way I think I could improve upon this unit is if I got a Z series which is like a 7" touch screen. Oh, this is a F700BT by Pioneer.

I've been meaning to post a little write up, anyways here are some photos:

Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
I just did a pioneer navi in my truck. The bezel was 80 shipped from Ebay, the dash kit was 12 dollars, my truck had the canbus adapter needed from Metra already, and the navi unit was 500 on clearance from Circuit City because they're going out of business. All in all, I think I have 650-700 into my setup because I purchased an Ipod adapter as well which is truly a sweet interface on this unit.

This unit also has bluetooth capabilities, a microphone for use with your phone, is updateable, and stores the maps on flash. The unit I got does not play DVD's, but I don't care. It accepts video input, which I can do from my rear DVD player. Also, it can be found for much cheaper on Ebay than what I got it for but I'm not a big fan of electronics on Ebay personally. Only way I think I could improve upon this unit is if I got a Z series which is like a 7" touch screen. Oh, this is a F700BT by Pioneer.

I've been meaning to post a little write up, anyways here are some photos:

Thats a really nice setup, and even more so for the money!
I also like how its not a flip out either, dang! Makes me think about jamming a double din into my '05

My vote goes for ^ instead of a stock nav unit for sure!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM

I like the looks of your Pioneer. Thanks for the pics! Curious though, are you able to change your 'view' while navigating? I really liked how my Dad's TomTom would let you "fly" above and behind the point the truck is at and see almost street level views. Also, can you make it so it follows with the turns or is North always up?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 13MWZ
I like the looks of your Pioneer. Thanks for the pics! Curious though, are you able to change your 'view' while navigating? I really liked how my Dad's TomTom would let you "fly" above and behind the point the truck is at and see almost street level views. Also, can you make it so it follows with the turns or is North always up?
It has 2d, or 3d which is kind of a fly over. I believe the next model up has the street level views as well. Also, avic411.com has a good group of hackers who put out software that basically lets you put any brand of mapping on your pioneer GPS.

Shawn
Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 PM

x2 on the avic411.com, really helpful bunch of folks, got all of my D3 knowledge there, I go by kaplan_reject.... if you go with any pioneer unit, give the site a look, youll learn tons....
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM

Cool, thanks a lot for the help yall! One more question for ya. Does the monitor dim with the dash lights or is it a seperate thing? Kinda a goofy thing to be consorned about but small things like that bug me.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Yes they dim with the rest of the lights.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 13MWZ
Cool, thanks a lot for the help yall! One more question for ya. Does the monitor dim with the dash lights or is it a seperate thing? Kinda a goofy thing to be consorned about but small things like that bug me.
It can, you just need to hook up the illumination wire. I didn't hook that wire up, so mine is the same brightness all the time. Would annoy me if they dimmed, I usually drive with my headlights on during the day and would not be able to see the unit.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
It can, you just need to hook up the illumination wire. I didn't hook that wire up, so mine is the same brightness all the time. Would annoy me if they dimmed, I usually drive with my headlights on during the day and would not be able to see the unit.
I really didnt care for the bright unit at night, so I do have mine hooked up. I dont drive with headlights on during the day unless raining, and it does make the unit hard to see. There is an easy fix however. Put a toggle switch on the illumination wire. Presto, you can have it bright during the day and dim at night...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Anyone know how I can upgrade to a nav unit and keep my sat radio?

I hate the factory unit. I can't see the frickin' led output with polarized glasses on. I really don't even care if it has nav, since I have a nice little portable magellan unit, but I am interested in a better display (LCD?).

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Factory Navigation