3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Emergency brake sticking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency brake sticking.

Anyone had trouble with the e-brake sticking? My wife had trouble yesterday after backing out of the garage. Temp was about -4c.. brake was locked and she could not get up the hill in front of the house ... Had 8" of snow and truck was in 4x4...Told her to try backing up and if that didn't work push as hard as possible and try to release. Eventually brake released and ABS light came on. It reset after about 3 miles of driving. Seems ok now. Any had similar?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Haven't had the problem yet with my CTD, but my 98 F-150 would do that when the temp dropped below freezing. I have a large puddle on my gravel drive, so it is easy to splash water up into the brakes just before I get home and park it. If I apply the e-brake and then it freezes, I am dragging a rear wheel until it breaks free.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 AM

If you look where you pedals are, you will see where the E-brake cable enters a tube. Check to make sure you have greese in there. Also follow it out, i am pretty sure there is a zerk fitting to put more greese in there.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by steelydan
Anyone had trouble with the e-brake sticking? My wife had trouble yesterday after backing out of the garage. Temp was about -4c.. brake was locked and she could not get up the hill in front of the house ... Had 8" of snow and truck was in 4x4...Told her to try backing up and if that didn't work push as hard as possible and try to release. Eventually brake released and ABS light came on. It reset after about 3 miles of driving. Seems ok now. Any had similar?
if these trucks have a cable runs the length of the truck that actuates the E-brake there is a good chance water has gotten into the cable and froze. I have the same model truck, but do not remember how the cable runs.

If the cable is getting h2o in it you may want to see if you can warranty a new one.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:48 PM

We got about 7 inches of snow the other day and I had to flip it in 4x4 to get back to the trailer. When I flipped it back into two the brake stuck. I just turned truck off and back on and it hasn't done it since. That was the only time by the way.