3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Electrical Gremlin

Ok Yall

Got a bug in my 08. Been trying to find it with no luck. When I start my truck for the first time in the morning, or after it sitting for a while I get a strange very fast clicking noise that sounds like it is behind the instrument cluster. I can only describe this as something similar as a relay clicking but at a rate of 10 to 15 times a second. It will not do it all the time, and have noticed it more since the colder weather has set in. Usually does it first crank of the morning and then will not do it again for the rest of the day.

Other things that have been happening are when I get the clicking noise the trip odometer will default back to the mileage odometer, my fog lights will default back to off. and the key on time on the overhead console will reset to zero. Its as if some part of my truck is losing its "memory".

Ive also gotten two strange codes lately, V0195 and V0184, one was lost comm with satellite radio receiver, and the other is lost comm with radio.

I have never seen these codes before and in fact have aftermarket radio and satellite radio receiver since it was brand new.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The first thing I would check is to make sure the battery post connectors are clean and tight.

MikeyB
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my post under 6.7 engine and drivetrain,,,please help. I posted it there because i thought there was a problem with my emissions. It is probably your bus connector from your factory radio harness ,to your aftrmarket radio. bad connection will do all those things you mentioned. Sounds crazy, but true. Bypass the plug and hard wire the wires is what i did and all is ok now...My fog lights were flashing, chime going off, overhead kept resetting, mine sounds like it was worse then yours but same symptoms. Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks Fellas

I made sure all the post connections were tight. They are squeaky clean.

Rob, I do have a PAC adapter for when I had my screen. Im gonna pull it out and just hardwire like you said see if that fixes it.

I also pulled my push button start, thought that might be causing some troubles but still doing it.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 PM

I have an accept box instead of a pac box. Try to unplug it one night and see if it acts up the following morning on start up. I can't believe this could be the problem but it was. The radio wires are wired through the computer harness somehow, I think its the power wire, because if you shut the engine off and don't open the door the factory radio wood stay onuntil the door is open. There is a mute,dim, and amp turn on, along with the speaker wires and power and ground in that plug.. I cut my wires and connected them directly to one another to bypass the plug. But be shore not to cut the wires to close to the factory plug in case you want to reuse your factory radio again. By any chance did you read my other post about this? Good luck. I hope it fixes your problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Ok fellas got it fixed.

Sorry I didnt post for a while.

Passenger side battery was bad. Once isolated it wouldnt come up above 10 volts.

The combination of the heating grid and cranking would cause the good battery to drop below 8 volts and cause the memory loss.

Two fresh Duralast Golds and no more problem.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by blake.clark
Ok fellas got it fixed.

Sorry I didnt post for a while.

Passenger side battery was bad. Once isolated it wouldnt come up above 10 volts.

The combination of the heating grid and cranking would cause the good battery to drop below 8 volts and cause the memory loss.

Two fresh Duralast Golds and no more problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Thank Mikey B for that one...simple things first.