3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electric Fan Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan Conversion

I just started doing some research on converting to electric fans but it doesn't look like Flex-a-lite or Perma-Cool make an application for an '06 Dodge Cummins. I hit the search button but there was nothing up to date. Anyone have any info. Nothing wrong with my clutch fan yet but I know they can be pricey when they go.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

One of showed a new setup for the Cummins at SEMA this year. Supposed to be out soon.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM

They do have electric fan kit Part# 264 was displayed at SEMA show and is supposed to be in the $600-700 range for the kit. Don't know if they have realeased it yet but is supposed to be for 03-07 model years. Not supposed to be used for towing over 18,000 combied weight.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM

Don’t bother man, these truck don’t have cooling issues. It is one thing Dodge/Cummins got right. If your clutch/fan goes bad, maybe it is a different story, but if I were you I’d save for ball joints, U-joints, injectors...maybe an aftermarket fuel filter system.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
Don’t bother man, these truck don’t have cooling issues. It is one thing Dodge/Cummins got right.
usually E-fans are swapped to squeeze some more power out of the engine that is lost to spinning the fan. good mod for a gas truck, not real practical on a diesel given the realm of other performance options.

agreed there are many "if it's not broke, fit it anyways" parts on our trucks, fan clutch is not one of them.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 PM

well i don't know about that, i talked to a few guys that have installed them on their 2nd gens and loved em, not really for power but for fuel economy. they were getting 2mpgs better with the elec fan.

i mean have you ever payed any attention to the bi-plane like sound screaming out from under your hood when pulling a steep grade...... that takes a lot of power to pull that much air through your ac,radiator, intercooler, trans if you have it, and then push it over your motor. elec is more efficient, there is no arguing that.

now that all being said, no they(flex-a-lite) have not come out with one yet and when they do it will be 650+
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by tinbanger
well i don't know about that, i talked to a few guys that have installed them on their 2nd gens and loved em, not really for power but for fuel economy. they were getting 2mpgs better with the elec fan.

i mean have you ever payed any attention to the bi-plane like sound screaming out from under your hood when pulling a steep grade...... that takes a lot of power to pull that much air through your ac,radiator, intercooler, trans if you have it, and then push it over your motor. elec is more efficient, there is no arguing that.

now that all being said, no they(flex-a-lite) have not come out with one yet and when they do it will be 650+
Na, never heard it over the freightrain coming through the exhaust and the turbo whale

I would think that you could see way better gains through a chip or injectors otherwise lots of peeps would have done this already. I have always wanted to do this to my wifes 5.2L Durango though

chris
Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everything I have read so far, says it is hard to get an electric fan to pull the cfm required to cool the engine ( under extreme conditions ) as compared to the mechanical fan. A good upgrade, indeed, but I think it would take awhile to recoup the money if they are over $500! You could replace at least 2 fan clutches for that kind of money!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 PM

My clutch fan just went so I removed it before it shot through my radiator. It's $311 for a new one and no junkyard around here has one. Also for those of you that have yet to remove yours it's not left handed thread. Lefty is loosy
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Driving without a fan in the winter seems to be fine but I have to have it to tow my snowmobile trailer.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bdewey
They do have electric fan kit Part# 264 was displayed at SEMA show and is supposed to be in the $600-700 range for the kit. Don't know if they have realeased it yet but is supposed to be for 03-07 model years. Not supposed to be used for towing over 18,000 combied weight.
Gee, that would put you in the same towing class as a Toyota or Nisson.

Pete
(XPLORETX)
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisM55
Na, never heard it over the freightrain coming through the exhaust and the turbo whale

I would think that you could see way better gains through a chip or injectors otherwise lots of peeps would have done this already. I have always wanted to do this to my wifes 5.2L Durango though

chris
i bet a ton more people would buy them and convert if they didn't cost 600!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:43 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The new 4 wheel parts catalog lists them for 3rd gens now. It did not list a price. I think while it is more efficient (mpg wise), ultimately it does not pull as many cfms under the extremes when needed as the stocker will.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM

If I remember right, they had the new electric fan set up for the Cummins advertised in the last Diesel Power Mag I got, I flipped through it just the other night.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally I just lurk.....but I had this open in another tab...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/264-diesel.html

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Conversion