3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"Death Wobble" Resolved... What Worked For Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J BODY
"It was bone stock, with the exception of...."
Originally Posted by J BODY
....but if we had a dollar for every "ball joints cured my DW", and it re-occured again later post. I've seen these posts time and time again over the years.

I've had two customers in the past year in "my leveling kit isn't the problem" denial finally krapcan the spacers and go with the KORE set up. Both of them so far report that DW is gone..... but time is the proof and I'm not convinced yet. It kills me how these guys "HAVE" to have there trucks level, but then add air bags so they can tow their toy haulers without the headlights aiming at the stars.
edit: to the op, good post!

Originally Posted by JayBird Enero
I think the initial post was pretty clear, that the installation of the leveling kit spacers WAS a contributing factor to the problem. I would further speculate the 'stretching' of the front suspension due to the installation of the leveling kit will cause or contribute to cause premature failure of the ball joints, as well as additional premature wear on the other suspension/steering system. Do I think the death wobble will never return? I remain optimistic, but recognize I have modified the truck from what specifications it was designed and constructed for. No whineing here.
just have to over look jbody, he is a little sensitive over any kind of lift on these trucks and usually resorts to name calling like show pony etc....
lifting of any sort amplifies the poor design of our truck's steering.
if there is the slightest wear on any steering component, you'll probably get the DW.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can the Death Wobble happen to a 2wd truck?

47Dodge
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cured mine on my 99 with urethane trac bar bushings., on my third trac bar, every time i get dw i either need a new ball and socket or the bushing shot., next time im doing the 3rd gen conversion
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM

I've had two customers in the past year in "my leveling kit isn't the problem" denial finally krapcan the spacers and go with the KORE set up. Both of them so far report that DW is gone..... but time is the proof and I'm not convinced yet. It kills me how these guys "HAVE" to have there trucks level, but then add air bags so they can tow their toy haulers without the headlights aiming at the stars.[/QUOTE]

There is alot of info out there about DW. Suspension is related to geometry, and when you change one thing, it affects other related parts. The leveling/spacer kits are a cheap fix for lifting the frontend. Typically, the track bar and links are moved out of center due to increasing distance between axle and frame, and the parabolic shortening of the track bar radius. This moves the axle off-center and can load the links differently. That's why a Kore or Thuren kit solves this problem because they provide longer/adjustable trac bars and different links, as well as other necessary parts when lifting these rigs. But they also cost alot more....but they are a complete kit w/a fully functioning suspension.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM

I had constant death wobble until i got rid of the Bfgoodrich tires. I now have nitto dura grappler in the same size as the BFs, 285 70 17 and i've never had death wobble again. Do some research and you'll find that the common variable on these trucks with death wobble is Bfgoodrich A/T TAs.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 PM

I just changed my stock BFG 265 tires with the same replacements. Bought 3 new and used the unused spare for #4. Never had dw and now have 63,000 miles on stock suspension except have Bilstein 5100 shocks and that Steelbiz steering stabilizer. That bar made a huge difference in the steering and handling. Hate to say it but - steers like a chev now.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 47Dodge
Can the Death Wobble happen to a 2wd truck?

47Dodge
I'm not saying it can't but due to the completely different suspension setup with rack and pinion steering you would have to have some serious problems going on with your front end suspension for it to occur.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 PM

Very good write up, and very well put.

I put a rebuilt steering box in, and a DSS type stabilizer in. That's when my DW started!!! I had my alignment man set the caster to 5.3 degrees +( meaning the upper ball joint is closer to the rear of the truck then the lower ball joint) I haven't had a chance to hit the highway yet to see if it helped. I never had the DW before that? I didn't check the tire balancing yet, that's another thing to check when experiencing the DW! I have just 40,000 miles on the tires now, and I have about 4/32 left, everything else in the front end is either new or had been replaced within the last 30,000 miles.