3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"Death Wobble" Resolved... What Worked For Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Death Wobble" Resolved... What Worked For Me

I have read extensively about the "dreaded Dodge death wobble", on this site. Finally, it happened to me. I would like to share my experience because I read a whole lot about what to check/what to try, but not so much about what 'worked' for other users.

I will start with "facts" first, followed by opinion later. Purchased a used (my first) 05' 2500 4x4 in late December of 2009. It was bone stock, with the exception of the tires. A previous owner had installed Nitto Terra Grappler LT295/70 R17's. This is what was on the truck at time of purchase, with about 82K miles, on the odometer. No death wobble. In February 2010 I purchased a HBS (Hell Bent Steel) 2" leveling kit. The orgional shocks & steering stabilizer were still installed. I opted to purchase new shocks and steering stabilizer partially because the two front shocks would have to be removed for the leveling kit installation & I figured I'll give the 82K+ miles shocks a rest. I purchased a set of four Rancho RS5000 shocks (2" extended length for the front) and a new Rancho steering stabilizer. I installed the shocks, steering stabilizer, and HBS leveling kit, all in the same project. There was literature that came with the HBS leveling kit, pertaining to the "death wobble". It was the manufacturer's opinion, stated in the literature, if this "death wobble or hammering" condition is experienced, to remove the leveling kit immediately. I was totally satisified with the new 'stance' of the truck, after the installation was complete. Within the first week of driving the truck, it happened. The "death wobble" showed its ugly tail. For those of you that have not had the pleasure of experiencing this - You haven't missed anything. Imagine driving down the interstate. Cruising about 70mph. All of a sudden, you travel over a series of speed bumps spaced about 10 feet apart. This continues until you reduce the vehicles speed to below approximately 40 mph. If you have any loose tooth fillings, it is sure to work them loose. It will also act as a laxative, if you are not expecting it. This condition would occur and was consistent with the following conditions present:
  • Vehicle speed above 55 - 60 mph
  • Vehicle strikes a pot hole or...
  • Bridge/Overpass joint or...
  • Expansion joint or...
  • Dip or low spot on road surface or...
  • Change in roadway surface (concrete to asphalt etc.) or...
  • Abrupt change in roadway surface such as rail grade crossing.
I wanted to keep the stance that the leveling kit created, but did not want a truck that was safe, only if it was sitting still. I re-checked my work pertaining to the shock and leveling kit install. Everything seemed to be correct. I read several opinions refering to increasing or decreasing caster, from the factory specs, if a leveling kit was present. I don't remember which one was which, but there are two concentric bolts with egg shaped washers, on the lower of the two of four links, which connect the front axle to the body/chassis. I realize me 'eyeballing' the position of the arrrows stamped on the egg shaped washers was not as fine tuned or exact as a qualified alighment shop would do, but I figured what the heck. What do I have to loose now? Both of the triangular arrows were pointed straight up, in the 12 o'clock position. There were six additional 'notches' or marks; three toward the front of the vehicle and three toward the rear of the vehicle. The thrid notch or mark would have put the triangular arrow at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position respectively. Not remembering if I needed more or less caster, I decided to experiment. I moved both forward, toward the front of the vehicle, two notches forward. I tightened all fasteners and decided to take a test drive. It was clear, this was NOT the direction I needed to go. I began experiencing the "death wobble" at any speed over 40 mph. Back to the residence. Moved/rotated the concentric bolts/arrows, rearward, toward the back of the vehicle, two notches past 12 o'clock. Subquential test drive proved positive. For the next 6-8 weeks, only in extreme cases would the death wobble present itself. It was easily felt as it 'started' to do it, but resolved itself easily, on its own. However, this was short lived. Gradually, the death wobble condition began to slowly re-present itself.

I took the vehicle to a 30+ year mechanic, I know personally. I did not tell him about the history of the vehicle & asked him to take a look at the front suspension. He concluded that everything looked 'okay', with the exception of the passenger-side upper and lower ball joints. He asked if I had experienced any vibration or wobble within the steering. I replied, "No." He stated, "Well... Both the passenger-side upper and lower ball joints have a lot of wear on them. I'd imagine they are in need of replacement. However, if you are not experiencing any issues - drive on."

Needless to say, I knew what I needed to do. I purchased new upper and lower ball joints. Additionally, I purchased urthane trackbar bushings (Luke's Link from Geno's Garage). I installed the trackbar bushing first. I immediately noticed a decrease in the death wobble. Seemed like as long as you kept vehicle speed under 65 mph and were aware of roadway conditions, you would feel it 'wanting to start', but resolving itself. Then I took the vehicle back to my 30+ year mechanic to replace the ball joints. Long story short - I've put almost 600 miles on the truck, since the trackbar bushing and ball joint replace. NO, I mean absolutely NO death wobble, nor any incling of it even starting. Steering is also firmer and there is not as much 'wonder' of the vehicle at highway speeds.

Facts over. Opinion starts now... From what I've read as well as what I have personally experienced, if you have front end problems (i.e. ball joint wear, track bar bushing wear, etc) installation of a leveling kit will elevate the likelyhood you experience the death wobble. Add larger tires - increase the factor even more. Using factory specs for wheel alignment (caster specifically) - increase the factor even more. Add worn steering stabilizer - increase the factor even more. Add the fact that the moon and stars are all in proper alignment - increase the factor even more.

Longer story shorter. The "death wobble" is fixable. I hate I had to 'throw parts at the truck' to get it resolved. I realize that not every truck will have identical probelms and solutions. I just wanted to share what worked, didn't work, helped, didn't help, and finally resolved the issue, for MY VEHICLE.

Hope this helps. <Fingers crossed for many more Death Wobble free miles!!>
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Yeah man great info!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Very well written!

Almost like an experiment from science class. Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks for a very logical write up. I will put this one in my folder for future( I hope not) death wobble issues.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM

On second thought......

On second thought, you should change you user name to DR.DEATHWOBBLE.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also posted several times how to cure the death wobble. The problem is inherent in the design of the truck, so everything must be perfect to keep death wobble from happening. If you haven't had it you are lucky, your truck is probably out of spec also, but I'd leave it alone. If you ever truly had death wobble you will never forget it, it literally takes control of your truck away and can easily cause you to crash. It is very violent.
Mine is gone and I'm still running 34" tires and getting better than 50,000 miles a set even while pulling and hauling. I like my set up.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM

I fought with death wobble all last winter, couldn't go above 50mph with being tossed in the passenger seat. I ended up rebuild the whole front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, axle joints and steering stabilizers (I have the super lift dual stabilizer setup). Got it aligned and it helped some but still on occasion I'd get a bad case of DW. I ended up replacing my 37" BFG A/Ts with a set of 35" Toyo Open Country A/Ts. And thats what ended up curing my DW almost entirely, my tires. After doing some reading on here I found that the BFG A/Ts are notorious for causing DW. Its as if they amplify the problem as they wear. I still have a tiny bit of shimmy hitting bumps on the highway but it smooths out almost instantly. Guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"It was bone stock, with the exception of...."
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Very well written for your 7th post, welcome to DTR!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....but if we had a dollar for every "ball joints cured my DW", and it re-occured again later post. I've seen these posts time and time again over the years.

I've had two customers in the past year in "my leveling kit isn't the problem" denial finally krapcan the spacers and go with the KORE set up. Both of them so far report that DW is gone..... but time is the proof and I'm not convinced yet. It kills me how these guys "HAVE" to have there trucks level, but then add air bags so they can tow their toy haulers without the headlights aiming at the stars.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Very nicely done post, OP. I don't have a 4WD, but have tried to keep up with all issues that arise on these trucks.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
....but if we had a dollar for every "ball joints cured my DW", and it re-occured again later post. I've seen these posts time and time again over the years.

I've had two customers in the past year in "my leveling kit isn't the problem" denial finally krapcan the spacers and go with the KORE set up. Both of them so far report that DW is gone..... but time is the proof and I'm not convinced yet. It kills me how these guys "HAVE" to have there trucks level, but then add air bags so they can tow their toy haulers without the headlights aiming at the stars.
I think the initial post was pretty clear, that the installation of the leveling kit spacers WAS a contributing factor to the problem. I would further speculate the 'stretching' of the front suspension due to the installation of the leveling kit will cause or contribute to cause premature failure of the ball joints, as well as additional premature wear on the other suspension/steering system. Do I think the death wobble will never return? I remain optimistic, but recognize I have modified the truck from what specifications it was designed and constructed for. No whineing here.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM

question

I am in the same boat, and have had 3,000 + people look at it.... A Diesel shop in the area looked at it and informed me that i need a brand X new pitman arm because of the 2.5 hell bent steel. They say my BJs are ok and UJs are fine too. ??? Some say I need a new track bar and BJs. And YES... I do have the BFGs (265 70 17) they where on the truck when I bought it (07 -11) I did replace the front 2 with same size newer BFCraps 6 mo. ago
This DW started about a week and a half ago.
??? I don't want to throw a ton of $$$ at it....

So,what BJs did you end up putting on?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ball joints do not solve the death wobble. This does. http://www.solidsteel.biz/

I put one on my truck and drives like a brand new truck .

Quick Reply: "Death Wobble" Resolved... What Worked For Me