3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Da puddy cat is in its basket!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Da puddy cat is in its basket!!!!

Sierra Phil,<br><br>How did they install your hitch - - did they drill or weld? I can't remember what hitch you said you had? <br><br>Getting anxious to get all this stuff done and put that fiver on the back and hear it purrrrrrrrrrr. 8)<br><br>Bob
Old 10-30-2002, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sierra, Did you get this info from DC in writing - :Textabout the drilling and welding?<br><br>Thanks,Bill
Old 10-30-2002, 11:49 AM

Fiver &amp; MrBilly, my brackets are welded. I have the Reese 16k hitch mounted using their standard mounting brackets which came with the bedrails. Here is a portion of an e-mail I sent in reply to your question:

&quot;Daimler-Chrysler prefers that you don't weld or drill frame, that has been there position since at least 1990. At the time I needed mine mounted, none of the hitch manufacturers had their new mountinag systems tested and in production. D-C customer assistance informed me and others there was no drilling or welding problem with respect to the warranty. I talked to a certifed welder/hitch installer used by the D-C dealer in our area . He stated that he would prefer to weld the brackets to the frame.

The standard brackets were used. The two longest brackets used to support the front bed rail must be installed outside the frame with the top leg of the bracket turned inward above the the frame. (The width between frame members is greater than the 94-2002 models.) The two shortest L-brackets are used for the rear bed rail. These two L-brackets must be installed inside the frame with the top leg turned away from the frame inward. Because of under bed reinforcing it may be necessary to drill an extra 1/2&quot; hole through the center each end on one bed-rail for 2nd bolt. If this new hole is necessary I suggest use of a grade 8 bolt of appropriate length. Use the number of washers need as spacers to support the bed rail above the bed before tightening.

Both Reese (Draw-Tite is Reese) and Valley Industries should have their mounting systems for the 03 HDs available now.&quot;

There have been several posts on the subject from persons asking DC if drilling or welding is prohibited. All have received the same answer, &quot;welding or drilling the frame is not prohibited&quot;. Check your 2003 Ram Truck warranty booklet, pages 12-17, What's Not Covered. There is no prohibition of welding or drilling the frame mentioned. Therefore, it cannot void warranty if accepted practices in welding are followed. (Reese states in their Instructions, &quot;Optional weld pattern. Weld must not go into radius of frame. Welds must be made by certified welder. See Reese Instructions below:

;D 8)
Old 10-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sierra Phil.<br><br>Great post. Thanks. I will be at installer next Thursday when I get back home. In the meantime, just drivin' and smilin'.<br><br>Smilin'Bob
Old 10-31-2002, 02:59 PM

Glad I can help out FiverBob. When you have a good hitch which you like it would be a shame to need to buy a new hitch just because of a slight change in design of the truck frame. When you buy one you understand it has a universal mount to fit all trucks. <br><br>In the 1960s into the seventies the installer had to design the proper mount and this was by welding. they fabricated the necessary supports out of angle iron and welded it do the frames. Unibody construction gave them some problems, however good welders figured out a solution quickly. I believe a good certified welder sometimes knows more about fabrication than a graduate engineer. ???
Old 10-31-2002, 04:07 PM

Can't see the Pic.

DRecu!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:28 PM

Can you see the Reese Instructions for Ram? If you can see the instructions with graphic, you see the pic. Scanner copy in a graphic format. *.jpg format is the preferred format for internet use as it is a condensed format.