3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Creaking Door Panels on 06?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking Door Panels on 06?

Does anyone else have the problem of their 06's door panels creaking and poping all of the time. This isnt even on really rough roads. Mine does it all the time. Gives a clicking noise that drives me absolutely crazy. Even when bass notes hit when im listening to music it does it. Im going to take it into the dealership and see if they can do something about it. Im going to go crazy with them doing this. I mean in know its not a luxury car, but it is a 40,000 dollar truck and i dont think it should be doing this..Jason
Old 02-24-2006, 04:43 PM

YES! [growl]

This was true from drive-off in my 2006. The passenger side door had a creak in it that occurred just by rolling down a smooth road. Any flexure of the truck at all caused it. Cold, warm, day, night, it didn't matter. Incredibly annoying.

I was loathe to ask the local dealership to do anything about it because I was planning to replace the speakers, thus perhaps undoing their fix. Then, of course, once I removed the door panels to replace the speakers it would probably become "my fault" and "something I did". So I just attacked it while working on the speakers.

I'm a whitewater kayaker, and one of the things we use to outfit our kayaks is adhesive-backed neoprene. I have sheets of it in 1/8 and 1/4 thicknesses. I narrowed down which part of the door panel was creaking, then started applying neoprene to the door and its liner. This has two effects: It prevents things from rubbing together, and it increases the space between objects. It took a while but I finally quieted it down.

Very few things annoy me more than vehicle creaks. I have another one in the B pillar, right behind my left ear, which is next on the list. I **think** that's the last one. Two on a brand-new vehicle, frankly, isn't that bad if you think about it... there are literally thousands of places where pieces rub together and could make sound. It's pretty remarkable there aren't more.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Frankly WACTD, what you did is almost exactly what the dealership would have done to fix the noise as well.

I am a tech at an import dealer and when repairing squeaks and rattles it can sometimes be disturbing how they are fixed. If it is as simple as removing a part to insulate with foam, foam tape, etc then that is what happens...however sometimes the noise is coming from an area where it is a major pain to remove and could cause more issue...such as a dash rattle that option b would be removing dash. by removing the dash many times new rattles are created so many times the repair involves taking foam rolled up and shoving it into nooks and crannys with screwdrivers and such to get the noise to stop. Sometimes gently tweaking/bending/performing chiropractic adjustments to parts is what is required (many times for door wind noises it is necessary to take a knee to the door panel while pulling in on the door frame swiftly to 'bend' the door frame slightly to give the door a tighter fit to the body to elimnate nosies...hence the chiropractic adjustment, again no one would ever notice visually that anything was out of place, but OUCH!). The end result isn't visual but if one knew what had happened they may or may not be ok with the repair.

I have the same door panel noise on my truck and just haven't had time to look at it but being in the trade and knowing how most dealerships repair rattles and squeaks...I would rather fix it myself then take it in because at least if I do it I know it won't be butchered. Sometimes it is easier to deal with it yourself if the cost is minimal to nothing more than some of your own time.

In a perfect world a $40000 vehicle wouldn't have any noises...however this is a truck...major squeaks and rattles can be fixed but keep in mind that they also don't affect reliability of the truck and I will never regret buying a Dodge/Cummins for this reason!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 PM

hmm yea i guess i would be better off fixing it myself. it drives me crazy though..might give me something to do tomorrow before work...but man when that door is creeking it just makes me want to start beating the sh*t out of it while im driving down the road...might make me feel better, but it would prob make the noise worse..lol...Jason
Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 PM

my 05 had this.while i was in getting my updated doorseals installed,i told the guy about it...they pulled the door panels and put double sided tape behind them..no squeaks since.in 20k miles,this is all i have had to get done to mine........bama
Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 PM

I Had The Same Thing, Dealer Could Not Here It, So I Put A Little Wd40 At The Top Of The Door Panel Towards The Back And Let It Run Down The Length Of Panel Towards The Latch Side Of Door And The Noise Went Away. I Think Dirt Gets Between The Plastic And Metal And Rubs. On My Truck It Sounded Like Something Vibrating. I Do It Twice A Year.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 PM

my truck has 850 miles on it...dont think it is dirt or anything...but at 850 miles it SHOULDN'T do that!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:46 PM

mine has no problems at 22k after 80mph down dirt roads .
Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 PM

No sqweaks or rattles yet, but only have 900 miles on her!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '03 developed the same squeaks and rattles from the door panels. I put some silicone grease on the touch points between the door panel and the door frame and added extra foam. No more problems.

MikeyB