3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Contamintaed fuel...dealers way out

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a issue on ALL 3rd generations.The factory filter is made by Fleetguard.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there somewhere we can't all start writing too to make a formal complaint? Toyota used to have a website where you could write letters directly to the company AND you would get a personal response!!! I would be happy to write a 5 minute letter and drop it in the box... I think that if we could get as many people as possible to start making formal complaints then it will get some attention. Bosch says 5 then it should be 5! Factory pump can do that then a different pump should be installed! End of story. To go and pay good money on a truck like this and to KNOW it was not equipped correctly is ridicules!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Been thinking on those same lines.Thats why I dug into Bosch to find out what they say there system needs. Start call 1-800-992-1997 tell them about this thread and that the info needs to go to HIGHER UPS not BACK to the dealer.There is a Dodge/D.C. webb page and so on.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 PM

So, if I got a Fleetguard Filter that is 10 micron, should I get it swapped for a 7 micron filter??

I ordered the Geno's 4/2/1 which came with 2 FS19579 (Fleetguard Fuel Filters - 10 micron)

The 7 Micron is Part #FS19800E.

OR should I go with a 5 micron Bosch filter??? Where can I get them??
Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
So, if I got a Fleetguard Filter that is 10 micron, should I get it swapped for a 7 micron filter??
Yes...I would!

Originally Posted by pet05
OR should I go with a 5 micron Bosch filter??? Where can I get them??
Bosch specs 5u filtration....there is no 5u filter for the factory filter housing. If you want <7u filtration, you need an aftermarket filter assy and probably an aftermarket fuel pump.

HTH

Tony
Old 09-19-2006, 06:09 PM

X2 what he said ^^^^^
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 AM

I dug this thread up. I am having the same issue. I wonder how many others have had this problem.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 AM

My stock truck went thru fuel filters about every 5k miles when new, I'd notice that it didn't rev as well as it usually did and feel like it was hesitating at crusing speeds, but it seems fine now. I've always used the Fleetguard filters.

As far modifying a truck still under warranty and expecting Dodge to cover any problems, I have no sympathy, as it's just creating a situation for denial of coverage and everyone one is paying for the coverage. This is simple stuff - don't modify your truck while it's under warranty. That being said, what is the problems for stock trucks ?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Dealerships are only acting on DC input with the fuel contamination issue.
But when one challanges the dealership over contamination the story always changes to we have seen alot of these.

The only thing you have to do is get a fuel sample pre and post filter. Send it away to a reputable lab and wait for the results. Cost around $40.
Then show the dealership the results.
If every person who had their fuel contaminated did this then there would be less then 1% of the of ths issues of voiding warrenty over it.

Problem is to many people listen to the dealerships garbage they talk about.

Fight with the dealership, I have and have sort of won. They are stupid when it comes to the HPCR. They do not understand how the system works, or what causes failures.

Unless you have over a liter of water, hand full of sand in your tank then you should not have a problem with fuel tank contamination.
Also changing from LSD to ULSD will should not cause problems for 03 and newer trucks in the form of contamiantion comming from the tank or lines. Your fuel system should be clean anyways, it isnt that old.

Now if it were a 90's truck I would be concerned about garbage in the system. Only because the system was not designed to run on the newer stuff, and the age of the system would allow more contamination in.

Call their bluff, ask for a fuel sample from the dealership.
Get your own before hand. Then when they waffle yell at them for lieing to you. Make a big scene in front of the new customers and old ones about them ripping you and your friends off along with how many others. This usually goes well when there are other diesel owners there. Make sure that you do not let your truck out of your site during this time.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM

I (think) that Baldwin now makes a 5 micron filter for the cummins.

Part no. 7977.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by northernwheeler
I (think) that Baldwin now makes a 5 micron filter for the cummins.

Part no. 7977.
This is true, and they are about 1.50 cheaper than the fleetguard 7mic if you buy them at the right place....
Old 05-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Will a stock system push thru a 5 micron filter without premature failure? Seems like a previous poster on this LOOOOONG thread mentioned that it would not.

What's the number and cheap price for the Baldwin?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM

I have had my GDP MK-2 + Big Line 2-micron filter kit on my truck for 10,000 miles now with no issues, and all those miles have with a pressure box installed also.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 PM

well i just found out that the dealer that replaced my injectors had me pay them and then they also collected on warranty . i found this out when i had the wiriing harness replaced the dealer asked if the injectors were replaced under warranty. well they are going to help me nail the other dealer. so you guys need to watch everything that the dealer does.i did not take a fuel sample . i wish i did.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

Wow, nice break.

On a side my old college roommate's father owned a toyota dealership and when ever he had a problem with any of his various vehicles he'd get they'd just charge it to someone elses warranty. He got a different car almost every semester... From GT mustangs to lifted Z71s to Z28s and different Toyotas. He blew the tranny in a couple year old land cruiser and he wasn't too concerned because they'd just charge it to a random warranty.

Anyway, this is why for awhile it was hard to get 6.1 cams for Hemis because you had to have a VIN to attach to the order... There are some SRT8 owners out there with multiple cams on their record LOL.

Quick Reply: Contamintaed fuel...dealers way out