3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Contamintaed fuel...dealers way out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could also tell the fueling station that your dealer is telling everyone they sell contaminated diesel fuel and is voiding their warrantees because of it.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hounddog and I were just talking about the same thing last week. Somehow we new this warranty voiding crap was coming because of contaminated fuel excuss.

My question for the dealer would be why did D.C. upgrade the fuel filter from 10 micron to 7 micron if you didn't have a problem. NO problem, NO need to upgrade I would think. They are saying use them on all 03' to 07' year trucks.
I smell dog poopoo and it ain't on my shoe!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:44 PM

This whole 07/ulsd/more stringent pollution regs is going to wreak havoc on owners of newer diesel trucks.
I hear one tankful of lsd in an 07 or newer vehicle will void dealer warranty, I'll bet that one will be getting alot of use.

Faulty injector? You must have run lsd.
Bad pump? ? You must have run lsd.
Broken recirc door? You must have run lsd.

Same reason I run Diesel Kleen, dealer says don't bother with additives when running ulsd. Yeah but when my lift pump fails I'll be on my own.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:46 PM

I wonder what Dr. Z would say about this?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Whats wrong with the fuel in those trucks. Water or forgein substance such as dirt etc.????? Have a reason for asking of course. Curious if STUFF got by the filter.Dealer should have (I always made sure we saved some in a jar) saved some of the subject fuel for the owner to have etc.Do you know about the EXPOSED vents on the fuel tanks(ones D.C. DID NOT plug off on many many diesel built trucks?)
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM

This 'contaminated fuel' excuse IS getting old. DC has taken a NEW position about the fuel filter, 7-microns period. So, if you purchased a new truck from them, and they have a 10-micron filter out the door in the canister, the problem with the injectors SHOULD BE THEIRS TO FIX whatever needs fixin' because they are the ones who installed an inferior part.

I buy 100% of my fuel from 1 place. If I have a problem that is labeled inferior fuel by my dealer and they try to do the voided warranty stuff, I plan to go straight to my local station owner and dump on him. I also plan to take it up with my regional DC guy because I installed a 2-micron filter as a preventative measure to the problem. I had the roll-over valve recall done, but not until after about 6K miles, so again, I will remind them about the recall and the contamination that may have existed prior to the recall. The dealer was supposed to replace the fuel filter at the time the recall was done, but my invoice does not show that they did - dealer error? You bet! and they will eat it if I have trouble.

I have a friend that is an attorney, and I discussed all of this stuff with him, his reply - YOU GOT THEM FROM THE START and all the way through because the aftermarket industry has been in place forever. NAPA, Checker, all of them sell REPLACEMENT parts that meet or exceed OEM and are designed to fit every model of vehicle out there. The same applies to filters - gas, oil, air. The same applies to oil as all the mfrs of oil meet or exceed OEM. Every oil refinery HAS to take samples out of every bulk tank used for distribution prior to that distribution. Records of distribution are maintained on a daily basis about what went where. State govs require regular sampling of in-ground tanks for contamination by every station owner on a regular interval.

To claim contamination is one thing, to prove it is another. There are labs all over every state, find out where you're local lab is, if your dealer claims fuel contamination and tries to void your warranty go immediately to your local lab and have a sample drawn out and tested. You will then know who to hold responsible and go after them.

I would bet that if EVERY owner did this testing the dealers and DC would change their tune big time. DC has opened a can of worms by not recalling the fuel filter stuff and letting the un-suspecting owner continue to drive around with a sub-standard piece of equipment on their vehicles. The liability based on their forehand knowledge of the filtering leaves their barn door open not yours. They should have written each and every one of us a letter TELLING us to have the better filter installed immediately upon their knowledge of the problem. Their TSB has a date on it, you have not received a letter regarding the problem, I certainly have not, and it is their liability when your injectors go if you have a new filter installed or some protective measure to prevent the problem. If it is contaminated fuel, you will have already gone through several filters almost immediately after fueling, go after your fuel source to reimburse you for your filters and the headache of it all.

CD
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 PM

One thing to also consider is the tankers that haul the fuel to the stations. EPA requirements state that no fumes can escape from the tanker while being filled. One type system to eliminate the fumes is called a McGill Vapor Recovery System, it basically sucks the fumes from the tankers while being filled. Gasoline or Diesel is not corrosive, but it's funny as crap as to the number of vacuum pumps we have seen with rotors eaten to nothing, some repaired on a few months ago, some been running for years and then BAM. Maybe somebody should question what the drivers are ACTUALLY hauling in their tankers, OTHER than Gasoline or Diesel. The fuel stations don't haul or produce the fuel, they only purchase it for resale. And who's to say that when a supplier pushes 10 or 20,000 gallons of gas down the line, with 10 to 20,000 gallons of diesel behind it, the pig in the line doesn't leak. Tankers only tank it to fuel staions, 99.99999% of gas and diesel travel under ground in lines, seperated by "pigs" to tank farms.
This crap gets VERY complicated, maybe that's why DC just blows everybody off, they know that we DON'T know.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 AM

From the info I just wrangled from Bosch 7 micron is NOT whats recomened for HPCR. Its 5 Micron to absolute.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
From the info I just wrangled from Bosch 7 micron is NOT whats recomened for HPCR. Its 5 Micron to absolute.
Who sells a 5 micron?

All ive seen is 7 and 2, and Ive heard that 2 is too restrictive(with a completely stock fuel system).
Old 09-14-2006, 07:33 AM

No one other then a add on fuel filter kit like from Glacier diesel products.Our systems don't have enough push or pull to get fuel through a lower micron filter in the stock location.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:02 AM

I have been trying to call the 04.5 friend since yesterday to get an update. No return call yet. I think what we all will be seeing after reading through the posts are more and more 'contamination' excuses. I just cant figure why though.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
No one other then a add on fuel filter kit like from Glacier diesel products.Our systems don't have enough push or pull to get fuel through a lower micron filter in the stock location.
Somehow I think the dealership would put a spin on that as well, saying the aftermarket filtration/pump casued the failure.

At any rate, the best you can do is keep it as clean as possible, and in the event of a problem and take it to the dealership, try to find one that will work with you, and if they try the warranty black list jive, fight it, some take it, but if you have the time, fight it.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by sadlerb_98
I wonder what Dr. Z would say about this?
He'd say "ze new stow and go seating is ze bomb!"

In all seriousness, research vehicle lemon law in your state and serve Daimler Chrysler with a letter of intent. They listen then. I know this because I sued them. My dealer has one of those 5 trip minimums, where it takes 5 trips back to fix a problem. $5,000 cash made this a little less of a problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:16 AM

I think that somehow this 5 micron to absolute from Bosch should be shoved at D.C. where the sun don't shine.That was the intent when I found the info which was NOT EASY.Bosch told me the micron ratimg was PROPRIETARY.Then I used my trusty computer thumbing through Bosch stuff and managed a phone number to R&D whom called back 24 hours later and in less then 15 seconds said its 5 micron or absolute on ANY of OUR HPCR systems.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:35 PM

Is the fuel filter problem on all 2006 models?

Is the Cummins filters better than the factory filter?

Quick Reply: Contamintaed fuel...dealers way out