3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearance Lights

How hard is the install of those cab clearance lights?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:39 AM

saw someone doing it once, only messy part I noticed was tearing up the cloth rooftop. Other then that i dont see any hard part.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Lights

Did my own on my 98 dodge. Comes with a template, this and that, it was really easy if you take your time. I think It took me around 2-3 hours but I really took my time, didn't tear anything drilled the holes with a vacume to keep chips from going inside the head linner. No problem in my book. I put two ladders up and then put a board between the two and did the work off that. Made it much easyier than stretching over.

Also on a note I was fixing mine over the weekend and sliped off the tire and put a nice dent in the hood . Buy two ladders, cheeper
Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_2500
How hard is the install of those cab clearance lights?
Don't do it. You will be sorry. They all eventually leak. I wish they were not mandatory on a 3500 when I ordered my truck.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Leaks

I think a lot has to do with the dealer. My dad's 99 has yet to leak any. The ones I did on my truck, never a drop. i think half the shops put them in so fast they either crack the lens, don't ensure a good seal. I had mine replaced with the new style and new gaskets, stupid dodge didn't even put the gasket in right, it was pinched under the light. I think a lot has to do with who installs them. I love mine, looks great when hooked up to the trailer with the lights on it.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We did the ones on my dads truck..The truck has a template etched on to the truck..After screwing them on you may also want to think about clear caulk to help waterproof it...

Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 PM

Ones on my 93W250 never leaked.If they do a little clear RTV fixes that.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Ones on my 93W250 never leaked.If they do a little clear RTV fixes that.
I agree. My 97 never had any clearance light leaks and I installed them. My 4.5 hasn't leaked either.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 PM

you dont have to drop headliner just loosen the front enough to fit your hand in and i used a license plate between the roof and headliner to protect the headliner so i wouldnt drill into it. i have done 4 sets of them now and i have never had a set leak........ knock on wood.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:56 PM

There have been many posts on the GEN III forums in regards to the leaking cab marker lights. I am talking factory installed ones. Just do a search on this topic before you decide to start drilling holes in your roof. I have replaced more of them at my expense than I care to mention. It was less costly for me to buy them than miss work and have the dealer replace them. I have tried everything including silicon to no avail. They are ok for a while but they all eventually start leaking again. I gave up on the OEM ones and bought the Recon clear ones. They lasted about a month and they all had water in them. Todd at Recon told me that they had a problem with the adhesive and were now using a new adhesive. I ordered a new set. In the mean time he said to put clear silicon where the clear lense meets the black base. That worked for about three weeks, just long enough for the new ones to come in. I have installed the ones with the new adhesive and yep, about three weeks later one now has water in it. I am just waiting a little longer to see how many more start to leak and then give him another call. I do know how to install these things and have tried everything imaginable.

Next I am going to order the lenses and base gaskets for an 06. They supposedly have a separate base gasket instead of the 03-05 rubber ribbon attached to the lense style. To each his own but I will never own another truck with cab marker lights. Good luck if you decide to install them on your truck turbo_2500.

Took delivery 01/11/03:
2003 Ram 3500 Quadcab 4x4, LWB, SRW, HO, Six Speed, 3:73, LSD, Heated seats, Tow pkg, Laramie, Sport, Graphite Metallic, Slate interior, Mopar molded mudguards, Rear wheel well liners, Rhino Liner, 20x8.5 American Racing Chrome Kahunas, 285/55R20 BFG KO-ATs. Two leaking CP3 pumps replaced, Water leak on passenger floor that dealer can't duplicate or fix, Persistent leaking cab marker lights that also can't be fixed. Just say no to cab marker lights!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 AM

i just ordered the clear lens recons...i hope i got the new ones. got them off of stylinconcepts.com. any tips b4 i install?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:23 PM

Leaks

The problem with the lights is not the actual gasket, rubber, foam, ect. The actual leaks are coming from where the factory presses the two lens parts together. Both of them are amber. I put air in mine under water and air was bubbling out of this area. Nothing to do with the seal but actually where the two plastic halfs meet. This is why some with the new gaskets leak, some don't, ect. I feel that most of the leaks are with the new design. not sure why but as with anything if it works, they have to F with it.

Tom
Old 12-30-2005, 03:15 PM

It rained all day here yesterday. Took a look at the Recon supposed new adhesive clear cab marker lights today. I now have two with water in them. I even used clear silicon on all of them just as an added measure, to no avail.

Rockittboy, I doubt that you got the new adhesive ones from Stylin Concepts. I got my first set from them and the new set directly from Recon. I wouldn't think Stylin Concepts depleted all of their stock so quickly, but who knows. It really doesn't seem to matter anyway since all five of my first set leaked and so far two of the new ones are leaking. I think eventually all five will leak.

As far as any tips, put some clear silicon on them where the clear lense meets the base and on the screws. There is no need to use silicon on the gasket. As TAS05CTD610 stated it is not the gasket that leaks. When I have removed them you can easily see that no water is getting past the gasket. The light socket size on the Recons is different than the OEM. You have to cut and splice the new wiring. I used solderless male and female connectors in case I put the OEM markers back on. This way no more cutting is involved. Just install a male and female connector on each of the OEM sockets if you should decide to put the OEMs back on. Good luck. The Recons look way cool but the leaking sucks.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:20 PM

so they dont leak in the cab just the light fills with water correct? im wanting to add some to my 04 how hard is it to pull the headliner and what all do i have to do to install them (wiring wise)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by johndeere1259
so they dont leak in the cab just the light fills with water correct? im wanting to add some to my 04 how hard is it to pull the headliner and what all do i have to do to install them (wiring wise)
Correct. No water in the cab yet from the Recons. It would require an appx. 1/4" of water depth to come up to the bottom of the light socket. If it gets any deeper than this you will get water leaking past the socket and into the cab. This has happened on the OEM lense directly above the passenger side A-pillar on mine. Water dripped out of the grab handle. That is when I gave up on the OEMs and bought the Recons.

As far as the install without having the cab marker lights from the factory, I am not sure. I had no choice. All 3500s came with them when I ordered my truck. Someone else will have to answer that question.

Quick Reply: Clearance Lights