3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Is caster adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is caster adjustable?

Hi guys. I have a 3500 4X4. I have the pull to the right. Took it to the dealer who had it on the rack for 3 hours before I started asking questions. They said the front was out over 3* and couldn't be adjusted. I inquired about the rear axle and they hadn't checked it. When they did, the thrust angle was out, almost 3/4". They loosened the rear, adjusted thrust, and realigned front. It helped, but didn't totally fix. Took it back to the dealer again for another alignment and got the old road crown story. Fine. Took it to an alignment shop. They said I have 6* left caster and 7* right caster and the rear end still needs a tweaking. They said it's possible the front axle housing was welded up wrong and I would need a 1/4* right side ball joint (or a new housing under warranty). From what I've been reading, axle housing replacement hasn't been helping. I've also read that the caster can be adjusted? Even on a 4X4? Thanks for any info, John
Old 05-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that's what the eccentric cam adjusters do on the bottom links of the four link suspension.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:04 PM

Having caster set up as you indicate will not cause a pull to the right. The left wheel needs more camber and less caster to compensate for road crown. You didn't say what your camber readings were. Also is the thrust angle - or + ?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The guy at the alignment shop didn't say anything about the camber being right or wrong. Hmmm. After doing some searching I think Mike is right about the caster, that more positive caster on the right would cause the truck to go left. As far as the rear axle, the driver's side was farther away from the front than the passenger side, if that makes sense. I guess it was acting like articulated steering. The alignment shop said it was still out, but only about 1/8". Mabye time to find some other shop. At least they didn't charge me for checking it out. Thanks again, John
Old 05-28-2004, 11:19 PM

The pull to the right is very common.Lots of discussion on the TDR web site.I printed several complaints of this and took to the dealer I use after the same thing you went through.Read that a 02 etc.adjustable ball joint will correct.This was a TSB on earlier year models.Not a TSB on 03 as yet.One guy posted that a Calif.dealer is using them often and his D.C.rep has approved and is paying the claims.Read two differant ball joints.Depends on how far off it is.Some dealers replaced entire axel housings trying to stop pull.Mine depends on road if its a hard drift right or a pull but if in far left lane it always goes right.On right lanes it will go off road in as short as two truck lenghts or at times 50 to 75 yards.I want mine fixed also.