2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Adjustable or non adjustable track bar.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable or non adjustable track bar.

My truck has some sway to it going down the road. So i figured i will start replacing everything under the front since it will all go bad anyways. So what style track bar should i go with. A 3rd gen set-up thats non adjustable or a adjustable track bar. i will never lift my truck either. thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM

any suggestions
Old 12-05-2009, 03:54 PM
BRO

Bump.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I am going to start my front end refurbishment after xmas. I will never lift my truck either. My plan did not call for an adjustable track bar unless someone more knowledgeable on the subject can provide me a good argument to go with an adjustable one.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 77machomopar
My truck has some sway to it going down the road. So i figured i will start replacing everything under the front since it will all go bad anyways. So what style track bar should i go with. A 3rd gen set-up thats non adjustable or a adjustable track bar. i will never lift my truck either. thanks
If you are not going to lift the truck, why spend the extra money on the adjustable one? I have an adjustable third gen style on my '01 (non lifted); has been in for over four years now. I doubt I could adjust it now if I wanted to...
My vote goes for the non adjustable.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Second that, no reason for adjustable with no lift.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like all you need is non-adjustable. I put the adjustable in mine in case I decide to add a leveling kit later. It's been 2-3 years and still have not put in a levelling kit.

The adjustable bar did seem to made it easier to install instead of tweaking to get it in.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 PM

I got adjustable because I lifted the front 2"... but if you don't plan to lift, I wouldn't hassle with it. It took me a few times (hours) to get the axle centered after install which wouldn't be worth it if I hadn't lifted it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM

ok thanks alot. Who's Track bar should i go with? Tell me what you guys like and dont like about yours. thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Well, I picked the 3rd gen style but I got it frm PSC 2-3 years ago when they sold them. I believe it is the Solid Steel bar but they don't sell them anymore. I'd go with a SS 3rd gen bar from www.sourceautomotive.biz in Oregon. Rip is great with customer service and lots of knowledge with these trucks as he installs his products. I got my SBC clutch from him.

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/shop...ades-20-1.html

Another choice would be the Thuren bar at http://www.thurenfabrication.com/products.html.

Don makes a good stock track bar with a heim joint ( http://www.thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html )
which you probably don't want if you want 3rd gen style and he makes a 3rd gen (2003-2009) style ( http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html ).

If I had it to do again I'd get the 2nd-t0-3rd gen adapter bracket from Source here... http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/shop...Kit-54-20.html
... and use Don's 2003 3rd gen bar. http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html

Don makes a 2nd-3rd gen style TB bracket with his 0-5 inch lift bar here:
http://thurenfabrication.com/trackbar.html but I don't see the bracket alone or this setup for a non-lifted truck.

If Don has a 2nd-3rd gen style TB bracket/bar for a non-lifted truck as you want then I'd go with the thuren bracket and thuren 2003 bar.....talk this over with don.

Dave
Old 12-06-2009, 11:31 AM

I've given alot of info above but would like to say that based on lots of threads I've read I'd recommend either the 3rd gen setup from Source Automotive or the Thuren 3rd gen 2003 bar with SS bracket or (if Don makes it) a Thuren 3rd gen bracket and Thuren 2003 bar.

I have read several posts of those removing the 3rd gen bar in favor of Don's setup and he gets lots of favorable comments on his bars.

On a side note, 3-4 months ago my "death wobble" came back to my surprise after having the SS 3rd Gen bar installed 2-3 years ago by myself. I found on inspection that my SS 3rd gen track bar bushing (bushing on the frame not the axle housing end) had lots of play in it and was flexing.

I checked the torque on the bolt and it was good so I called Rip at Source Automotive and got a new bushing. Rip told me the early design bushing (Solid Steel and Dodge's 3rd gen bar) had too much flex so the bushings were redesigned and replaced with a stiffer poly graphite bushing. Dodge tried to use a softer bushing initially to combat the harsher steering feel but it flexed too much with the weight of the mighty cummins.

I replaced the track bar frame end bushing (about $40) and all is well so far. Just something to keep in mind for those who might have got the early design 3rd gen track bar and have experienced the "death wobble" again.

Dave
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 77machomopar
ok thanks alot. Who's Track bar should i go with? Tell me what you guys like and dont like about yours. thanks
I like the $150 Napa lifetime warrantied one because it's cheap (relatively), no questions asked for an exchange and takes less than ten minutes to swap.
The Napa bars last longer than the stocker, I get about 70k out of them.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I read around here that Napa is no longer offering the lifetime warranty on the trac bars they carry. Better check that out first.

I have the Thuren adjustable on mine with a 2" levelling kit. Its a very strong and well engineered piece.

Kurt
Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM

thanks everyone oyu been a great help
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I like the $150 Napa lifetime warrantied one because it's cheap (relatively), no questions asked for an exchange and takes less than ten minutes to swap.
The Napa bars last longer than the stocker, I get about 70k out of them.
I had the Napa one installed when I had my front end done. The truck drove beautifully for a very short while, and is not back to wandering all over the place.

How do I know if my track bar is worn?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM

How do I know if my track bar is worn?
Tires on the ground, engine doesn't need to be running have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the driver's side end of the track bar.
You should see no slop in the ball/socket.

Quick Reply: Adjustable or non adjustable track bar.