3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

In-cab ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-cab ventilation

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed that there isn't any in-cab ventilation without running the fan. Every vehicle I've owned, I've been able to adjust the controls so that, when driving and I really don't need heat or A/C, outside air would enter through the vent intakes and flow through the vehicle without running the fan. I've yet to figure out a way to do this in my truck; the fan HAS to run in order for air to enter the cab. :P I know I can always roll the window(s) down, but then the road noise also enters. I don't know if it matters or not, but my truck has the separate driver/passenger controls.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Re:In-cab ventilation

T6,

As far as I know there is no other way to get fresh air into the cab. I have a 1999 BMW 540i that operates the same way. It took a bit of getting used to, but I did. I didn't think about it on my new truck until you just posted on the subject.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Why are you so determined not to run the fan at low speed? Is it loud? Worried it'll wear out?

But in answer to your orig question, Yes I've noticed it. Paid no attention to it either. I turn the fan off when I dont feel the need for any HVAC ventilation, and turn it on when I do.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad it doesn't ventilate without the fan running. Some times in the past I've wanted to turn off the a/c before getting home, or when running really low on fuel, and wanted to keep the cold air inside, not have the vents allow hot air in and spoil my cool interior...used to have to hit the recirculate button to prevent the warm air from coming in. I also question why you are afraid to run the fan. Oh well, I guess there are both up and downsides to this feature...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 PM

Passive ventilation was added to all vehicles back in the early to mid 70's following a rash of CO asphyxiations. It was federally mandated. Like T6, I like fresh and heated air entering the interior by this method rather than being forced by a fan. It's quiet (not that this counts with my Cummins), and I find it a more... :- .natural way of adjusting the atmosphere inside the cab. You don't have air blowing in your face from the vents. I noticed that my 2000 Chevy Impala, and as we know the Rams no longer have this. I don't know if it was recended or what exactly changed to eliminate the need for passive fresh air.

[edit] The open vents did allow critters to enter the cab. I had a small stow-away one day on my way to work in my 'ol 89 C1500. You never saw someone "abandon ship" as quickly as quickly as me.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=17;threadid=20026;start=0#msg188665 date=1064425679]You don't have air blowing in your face from the vents[/quote]

Ummmm....you DO realize the vents can be adjusted to blow the air somewhere else, right? ;D

Vents are nice in the fall or early spring, but in Texas in the summer you don't want any of that hot air outside getting in the cab and in the winter time of course you'd like some heated air. I never would have noticed though....
Old 09-24-2003, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure I get this whole thread. Whether you have a "passive" system or you use the fan to force air into the cabin, in both cases all air enters through the intake forward of the windshield, through the air box, through the ductwork and out the vents. Right? It just doesn't flow without the fan running in the Ram. So the air isn't "fresher" one way or the other, is it?

I just leave the fan on low and send the air where I want it. A higher volume of air without fan noise would be nice, but what can you do??
Old 09-24-2003, 10:31 PM

[quote author=kayjh link=board=17;threadid=20026;start=0#msg188725 date=1064434106]
A higher volume of air without fan noise would be nice, but what can you do??[/quote]Open the slider in the back a little bit.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:28 PM

For the guy without the rear slider, the lug wrench is under the right front seat. Give it a toss through the rear window if it gets too stuffy with the fan off. ???
Old 09-26-2003, 11:40 AM

My Jeep does the passive ventilation and the wife's Sebring has the "active" system. I prefer the passive, I just don't want to have to think about turning the fan on and off. I just leave the control on one temp and let it flowwwwwww.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:49 PM

Roll down the window