3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

build quality on Dodge vs Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build quality on Doge vs Ford

Ok, since I didn't yet take delivery of my Dodge, I would like input on build quality of The Ram 2500 Vs Ford's SD 250.

I'm refering to body & suspension mainly. I know the cummins is far superior, but how good is the rest of the Dodge truck?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

The 3rd Gen is a very nice truck. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would put it at 8. I think the F250 (less engine) is at a 9. Add the 6.0 and you are at 7 (running well) and 2 running poorly. Mine has 3541 on it and runs fine, but is the second engine. Dodge has a longer leaf spring in the rear, a little better ride I think. JMO Ford has a much better 4wd (again IMO) Full time 4wd is not for me. Good luck
Old 02-21-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I haven't driven a brand new SuperDuty I have driven one that was nearly new (2000 miles). Compared to my Ram the chassis felt dated. Brakes, steering and handling are definitely not as refined as my truck. It rode stiff and there were weird wiggly vibes through the steering wheel. Turning radius was pretty sad. The frame seems stronger on my truck (I notice pulling into parking lots how much twist the SuperDuties have between the cab & bed whereas mine has virtually none).

Fit & finish are probably about the same.

I have 24,000 miles on my 2003 Ram and it's as tight and squeak/rattle-free as the day it rolled off the lot.

Vaughn
Old 02-21-2004, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up ron717

I have not compared the ford to my dodge,but having owned a 2002 chevy Z-71 prior to my dodge no comparsion,My new ram 2500 wins hands down.The ram IMHO is a better quality truck.I have had no problems with my truck,only 3800 miles on it.coobie
Old 02-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

Vaughn is correct about the brakes. The Ram does have better brakes. I don't agree with the frame flex. I also disagree about the dated chassis. IMO I like the beltline of the Superduty. I also like the door handles better. DC dropped the ball there IMO. I can't compare steering as one is rack and pinion(Ram) and the other has a 1960's steering box (ugh) The Ram is more quiet. Hands down.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:02 PM
cp

This is my first Dodge truck and I heard beforehand all the talk about how Dodge's build quality is inferior to Ford's.

I don't see it. This truck seems as well put together as any I've owned, and better than a few.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My input is going to be like comparing apples to oranges but here's my .02 worth:

I bought a new Ford Mustang in 1989 and a new Ford Explorer in 1994 and with a 650 miles on the Dodge truck so far, I can say the Dodge was better built. Everything (knock on wood) works on the Dodge. I mean EVERYTHING. There are no squeaks, no leaks, no rattles, the windows roll up/down on the Dodge. The fit and finish on the Dodge is top shelf. I had both of my Fords back to the dealer at least 2 times each immediately after buying to fix some minor trim items.

My Fords were purchased between 10 and 15 years ago AND they weren't trucks.....so....apples and oranges. You know there was a time in history when Dodge trucks were total garbage. Same with the Chevy (remember the fenders rusting out?). I think all the companies go through their stages.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Banned

Comparing anything now days to something that happened 10-15 years ago is useless. Hell 15 years ago, the Dodges were still first generation ugly work trucks, that were about as appealing as lice. If you would like to make a fair comparison, drag rear rear to a Ford dealer and take a test drive!
The whole build quality issue is about as biased as lynching mob in the South. Ford does a good job with their trucks, and they use good old AMERICAN workers. Dodge does a good job as well, but their paint quality , choice of interior materials, and "goofy" looking controls makes them loose this battle. Fords have had much better paint job, for the last several years. Where Dodge has not only had and is still having trouble with finish quality, but also they are having paint delamination problems as well. This has caused many trucks paint to peel away, of have small spots (some time not that small) where the paint looses it color, and turns a Grey or white. Cummins builds a great engine, but have been plagued with lift pump, alignment pins, bad blocks, and software issues, so they are by no means completely problem free. All the while Dodge has also been having issues with Automatic transmissions, 5-speed transmissions, drone, vibration, key and lighting switches, cooler lines , front end pull, rear end vibration and howl, front spindle wear, and many more that i don't care to go in to. This does not mean that Ford is any better, everyone knows of there resent engine troubles, they have had transmission and rear end housing problems as well, plus many more.
Ford has got one up on the rest of the competition, there new F-150 and it "Quiet steel" is in fact very quiet. The truck is extremely fresh and looks very modern. I would imagine it is just a matter of time till the 250-350's get there make-over.
In my opinion the Fords look better and seem to be built better, they have a nicer cab with nicer options. There automatic transmission is years ahead of the Dodge's 48. And as close as it maybe in many of the areas, the fact that they are made in the USA should be worth enough to give them the nod.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

My biggest concern is quality and how long the vehicle will last with the least amount of problems. I am comming out of a Toyota 4runner 2003 V8. Its way too small for me in the front seat on my 5 hour a day commute.

I have a deposit on the Ram 2500 Quad diesel, but I still like the Ford--though I would have to special order it with the 6speed manual.

I don't tow, but I go off-road, and and 1000 miles per week of hwy driving. This is why I need the diesel.

I have to make a decesion very soon.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:49 PM

Full time 4wd is not for me. Good luck [/B]
Dodge trucks are not full time 4WD. Body and suspension quality Dodge wins, IMO. Ford relies on ancient leaf springs all the way around. Simple and effective, but hardly offers a decent ride. Manual locking hubs, again no thanks. Come on Ford, its' the 21st century.

Now for all the Ford lovers that are about to reply how great these things are, be prepared to hold on to your current truck long after it becomes an antique. Ford is about to ditch the leaf springs all together, and I bet manual hubs soon follow.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ron717
My biggest concern is quality and how long the vehicle will last with the least amount of problems. I am comming out of a Toyota 4runner 2003 V8. Its way too small for me in the front seat on my 5 hour a day commute.

I have a deposit on the Ram 2500 Quad diesel, but I still like the Ford--though I would have to special order it with the 6speed manual.

I don't tow, but I go off-road, and and 1000 miles per week of hwy driving. This is why I need the diesel.

I have to make a decesion very soon.
If you want a reliable diesel for 52k a year get a VW. The TDI is awesome. Then get a beater truck for truck work.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Berak
Dodge trucks are not full time 4WD. Body and suspension quality Dodge wins, IMO. Ford relies on ancient leaf springs all the way around. Simple and effective, but hardly offers a decent ride. Manual locking hubs, again no thanks. Come on Ford, its' the 21st century.

Now for all the Ford lovers that are about to reply how great these things are, be prepared to hold on to your current truck long after it becomes an antique. Ford is about to ditch the leaf springs all together, and I bet manual hubs soon follow.
The front driveshafts and axles spin all the time. This is full time, less the little lever for the transfer case. I'll take manual locking hubs over full time 4wd anyday anytime.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:20 PM
cp

Manual hubs may be old fashioned, but they beat the hell out of no hubs at all.

FWIW, Ford offers automatic hubs, too. ESOF, about a $200 option as I recall.

I probably would have bought a 4WD if Dodge offered anything similar.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by spots
If you want a reliable diesel for 52k a year get a VW. The TDI is awesome. Then get a beater truck for truck work.
I've actually got both to sell ya!

Seriously, I've got a 2003 VW Jetta 4 door TDI 5spd for sale. Bought it new in Feb 2003. Currenlty has 42k miles - runs and looks new! I was planning on just trading it in when my Dodge gets here. PM me if you are interested!

As for quality on the Dodge vs Ford debate, I'd say they're both pretty good. More important things, I feel, are motor and drivetrain. For me, I'd rather be driving with a few squeaks and rattles then not driving with no rattles. I don't mean Dodge (or Ford) has quality issues, I mean its more important that the truck gets me where I need to go when I need to go there. And that is why I opted for the Dodge over the Ford!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never owned a Sutperduty but have family members and friends that do. From their problems and complaints I'm glad I bought a Dodge. Granted the Dodge isn't perfect, owners complain about the 47re but remember, the Ford 4R100 is a stinker too.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: build quality on Dodge vs Ford