3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake light delay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Brake light delay.

Recently the brake lights on my truck would stay on, even with the brake switch disconnected. I do have a trailer brake installed, so tried disconnecting the blue wire that goes to the factory system. That made the lights work now, but there is about a 2 second delay for the lights to go on and another 2 second delay for them to go off once the brake pedal is released.
Was wondering if there was some sort of weird feedback from some of the many additional electrical stuff I have installed over the years, so temporarily disconnected all the non factory electrical junk. No change. Checked for any codes, but no codes.

Took a hard look at the electrical schematic and now am suspicious of the (expensive) IPM. I cannot see anything else in the circuit that could cause a delayed on and off. Removed and cleaned all nearby grounds. Doing a search here did not give me any new info.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this delay problem?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes you will have a delay. That is one reason everything is going to LED lighting. LED's are quicker.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks for the reply.
A fraction of a second delay maybe, but not 2 seconds. Never ever seen this kind of delay in any vehicle. When the brake pedal is released, then theoretically that means no more power going to the brake lights, so then why another 2 second delay before the lights go off?
It is almost like a capacitor needs to be charged for the lights to go on and then discharged for the lights to go off. Of course, there are no caps in this circuit, but the way it acts, reminds me of this.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 AM

Bringing this up again because I still cannot find the cause of this delay. It concerns me because when I hit the brakes suddenly, anything close behind me cannot realize that I am slowing down until they are about to hit me. Two seconds is a long time at speed when vehicles are on my tail. Don't want to start throwing expensive parts at the truck until I am reasonably sure what I am doing.

Anybody want to hazard a guess what is causing this dangerous problem?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting all the wires from your brake controller, or just the blue one? With the rest hooked up, it is still tied into your brake light circuit. I can't think of a logical way the brake controller could cause this, but it may be worth completely eliminating it as a suspect.

Also, I would take apart the trailer connector and make sure nothing has come loose inside it and partially bridged two or more circuits together.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check the brake light switch , remove the wires from the switch and connect to a switch that can be turned on and off an see if you still have a delay ,or test with a meter ,
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Have completely disconnected the brake controller some time ago with no difference. There is now nothing anywhere that is connected to the brake circuit except OE stuff.
When the problem of the brake lights staying on first appeared, I disconnected the brake switch and nothing changed. Will take another look at it soon.
Had not thought of a problem with the trailer connector, but will take a look at it. This truck has never been driven in salt, so doubt if I will find any problems.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM

I remember that I had a similar problem ,and it turned out to be the O E brake light switch ,it was corroded inside and was sticking on the return which caused me to have a delay in the brake lights going off ,as the pedal was released .
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Recently the brake lights on my truck would stay on, even with the brake switch disconnected. I do have a trailer brake installed, so tried disconnecting the blue wire that goes to the factory system. That made the lights work now, but there is about a 2 second delay for the lights to go on and another 2 second delay for them to go off once the brake pedal is released.
Was wondering if there was some sort of weird feedback from some of the many additional electrical stuff I have installed over the years, so temporarily disconnected all the non factory electrical junk. No change. Checked for any codes, but no codes.

Took a hard look at the electrical schematic and now am suspicious of the (expensive) IPM. I cannot see anything else in the circuit that could cause a delayed on and off. Removed and cleaned all nearby grounds. Doing a search here did not give me any new info.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this delay problem?
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...arlighting.pdf

Please take a look at the wiring diagram on page 7 of 8 again.
If it still doing it after disconnected the brake light switch, then it has nothing to do with the IPM.
There is a short (bad wiring touching each other and give you the capacitor effect) somewhere AFTER the switch.