3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Body protector moldings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Body protector moldings

I purchased some body protector moldings for my 06 Quad Cab. I purchased the chrome covered ones, they came with the adhesive tape already attached to the molding. The instructions say to apply 30 lbs pressure for 24 hrs to the molding. How do I apply that kind of pressure to the side of the truck. If anyone has done this your comments and advice would be helpful.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the only question i have is are you trying to protect your lower panels? those will not do it , they protect from rocks being thrown into the body but hold water, sand etc and help in the rusting process, from my experience anyway, sorry to be a downer
Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM

I've seen alot of people using herculiner, or line-x on the lower body panels to protect their investments
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by AlK
I purchased some body protector moldings for my 06 Quad Cab. I purchased the chrome covered ones, they came with the adhesive tape already attached to the molding. The instructions say to apply 30 lbs pressure for 24 hrs to the molding. How do I apply that kind of pressure to the side of the truck. If anyone has done this your comments and advice would be helpful.
I took off the black moldings and replaced them with the Dodge chrome "spears". I cleaned the area with alcohol and peeled a short portion of the tape back (enough to be able to pull). That way I was able to make sure the spears where straight when positioning them. I then pulled the reast of the tapefrom between the body and the spear. Took a towel and pressed on the spears to make sure the tape was making full contact. That's it. The whole process took about 20-25 minutes.

I installed them durinmg the middle of the day when everything was warm. I think the tape bonds better that way.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by AlK

LIne up the moldings and stick them on. Then take the tires of the side you are putting the moldings on. Then jack up other side. Have your buddy help you push truck over on it's side so it is resting on the moldings. Wait 24 hours and repeat other side. This worked well for me
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
AlK

LIne up the moldings and stick them on. Then take the tires of the side you are putting the moldings on. Then jack up other side. Have your buddy help you push truck over on it's side so it is resting on the moldings. Wait 24 hours and repeat other side. This worked well for me

Now, why didn't I think of that!

Jus Cruisin,
Good information.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 AM

FYI when they say apply 30lbs of pressure to them. They mean tape them on. Go down to an autobody supply place and ask them for some tape that will be safe on your paint. But the tape on the spears is very strong. I think it is just a precaution. If not give my other option a try
Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 PM
AlK

The job is done, it was fairly easy. The truck looks a lot better. That tape sure sticks - no room for mistakes.