3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Balancing

hey guys... i was reading some threads and these terms were thrown around... dynamic balancing.... static balancing... road force balancing...

can anyone help me understand the difference, which i should use, and where to find who has what? just bought a set of 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, replacing my end links and track bar with thurens parts... and i wanna make sure to get the best job done so i can try and eliminate my DW and make sure these tires wear correctly. help is appreciated
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
dynamic balancing- tire is spun on a balance machine

static balancing- old school method, used a bubble machine, tire was laid down flat onto a tool that had a bubble like a level used for framing a house.

road force- similar to dynamic but has a large drum on the back side of the tire to apply force to simulate the tire/wheel being driven on the road. measures out of roundness of tire etc. a bit more expensive to have done.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM

ok thanks. i assume most place like discount tire and most mom and pop tire shops have dynamic balancing?...

where do i find road force balancing? or where can i start to look?
thanks for the info
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post some pics of those new tires when you get a chance...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mossyoak11
hey guys... i was reading some threads and these terms were thrown around... dynamic balancing.... static balancing... road force balancing...

can anyone help me understand the difference, which i should use, and where to find who has what? just bought a set of 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, replacing my end links and track bar with thurens parts... and i wanna make sure to get the best job done so i can try and eliminate my DW and make sure these tires wear correctly. help is appreciated
There's a ton of info out there on DW, lots of it is bad. What have you done so far? And what were you running for tires? I bet they were oversized and wider than recommended.....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM

ill post some pics when i get them on.

back to the balancing.... anyone know a good place to get this road force done at a reputable place in DFW... im in north dallas, lewisville area. thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

I dont know about your area but the Discount Tire in Round Rock Tx has a road force balance machine. When I bought my BF Goodrich tires several years ago I kept having a vibration around 60 mph. I took it back in and they had one tire they were having problems getting to balance out. They wound up using it on the road force balance machine and it took care of the vibration. I dont think that its necessary to have them balanced that way unless they cant get them to balance with the dynamic balancing machine.

JMO

Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 PM

You can also do a static balance on the tire balancer as well. It will usually mean wheel weights on one side or have tape weights on the center of the wheel, although dynamic is most common. The road force balancers work well too. I am pretty sure most if not all Discount tire stores have road force balancers. I use to work there a few years ago. Now I'm at Toyota and can balance my tires when I want and I always road force them. It makes the ride so much better. HTH.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM

i put beads in mine and works awesome !!!!!!!!!! i couldnt believe it worked so good
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i put beads in mine and works awesome !!!!!!!!!! i couldnt believe it worked so good
Cool!! Like the big rigs!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Discount has Road Force,dynamic and static. They tried everything to cure BFG KO vibes on my '98.5 to no avail. Ended up selling them on Craigslist and installing Toyo M-55's. End of problem. I always insist on weights on the outside surfaces of the rim. I'm seeing a lot of the new rims where you don't have a choice. Stickons or nothing. Starting with a precision built,round tire like Toyo helps a lot.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM

ive seen alot of yall have mentioned toyos being great, but what about the nittos. i just bought a pair of em.

theres actually a technical school here in town that has a gsp9700 road force balancer with the straighttrak technology. they charge $25 to mount, balance, and put the straighttrak on all four!!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Same with me. Once you go to the beads, I have never gone back. No more scruffing of the rims, out of balance within 500 miles, stuff like that.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

I use about 12 - 14 oz. in each of my 35's.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 AM

If you use the beads does this eliminate the need for balancing? I checked out the website and was also wondering if the weights of the beads that they have listed are accurate or do you need to add more or less?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM

When using these beads, you will want to take off ALL weights and I usually clean the rim really good also. It is Internal balancing compared to external. They move to the location that would need to be balanced. So as tread wears down, they move around to those new locations. Whereas external are fixed and will get out of balance after a period of time.

Those sizes are pretty accurate, I just have found that most large tires are not the most perfect roundness, so I purchase about 12 - 14 oz for each tire.

Quick Reply: Balancing