3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

alum wheels or chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alum wheels or chrome

Are the chrome wheels on the SLT Ram ok? I do alot of hwy driving, which is more true, and holds up better?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:29 PM

When I bought my truck, I had the chrome ones switched over for the aluminum. I like the looks of the chrome, however it takes a lot of work to keep them clean. Where I live the roads are salted and sanded in the winter. You have to costantly polish and clean the chrome ones to keep them from developing rust. My last 3 trucks have had aluminum rims, and they are 100X's easier to keep clean and looking good. So- I will buy nothing but the aluminum!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'll ask the dealer if they could swop out the chrome fro the allum. I didn't pick up vehicle yet.

Other than salt though, how do the chrome hold up? Do they stay round--no vibe in steering. All my experience has been with allum in my previous trucks.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:46 PM

I've never heard of anyone pulling or hauling and having any problems with the new aluminum rims.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Banned

I'm not pulling aor hauling. Does the chrome stand up to being true (round)

Another words, does the chrome bend easily and cause vibration in the steering above 70mph?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 PM

Ron, be aware that the wheels are chrome clad, as opposed to chromed. Not sure when this switch was made, but I was able to press down on the chrome "insert", for lack of a better term, and there were parts of it that were not stuck to the steel wheel beneath. Haven't read where anyone has had problems with the chrome clads. I opted for the aluminums.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:32 PM

My aluminum rims on the trucks have stayed true. I have not talked to anyone or heard of anyone having a problem with vibrations, etc.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 PM

At first I wanted chrome wheels (chrome clad that is !!) and liked the looks. My salesman mentioned the clad wheels can be prone to difficulties for balancing. He mentioned if chunk (small rocks) were ever able to lodge in between the 2 surfaces it could be very difficult to ever balance the wheels again. He said this happened to one person who did alot of off road driving.

I wanted the sport group which gives you aluminum wheels anyway so I'm happy with the wheels and have grown to actually like them more. FYI..The outer chrome clad wheel is actually bonded to a black steel wheel

Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2004, 06:24 AM

I wonder if anyone has removed the chrome skin from the black steel wheel........Hmmm........
Old 02-18-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the chrome wheels and find the wheels run true on the spin balancer. With the Michelins I'm suprise how little weight was required to balance the tires.

MikeyB
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 AM

I like my Chrome wheels as well....... If I was going to pay for some Alum ones, they would be after market and not the factory ones
Old 02-18-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the aluminum because I've seen too many chrome/steel wheels rust over time. They look good new but they tend to rust on the corners/edges after a few years.

I've heard that steel wheels are better for off-roading because they won't break if they smash into a rock like the old aluminum (magnesium?) wheels did. Can't speak for the durability of the new aluminum wheels though. Maybe some off-road enthusiats can chime in here.....
Old 02-18-2004, 04:23 PM

IMO Aluminum. I've two that true out without counter weights. Strong too.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:09 PM

I have both. I bought a set of the chrome off Ebay and put my winter tires on them. Only have a couple of thousand miles but no problems. Never notice the difference,
Old 02-22-2004, 01:59 AM

I had the chrome ones on my 99 when they were still solid wheels. I never had a rust problem with them.

I got a 01 with the aluminum wheels. They scratched very easy. Even before I picked up the truck the clean-up dude used a stiff brisol brusch on them and scratched them up. There was also a problem with front brake dust. Something about the aluminum, the dust stuck to them like glue. After only a couple of hundred miles they had a orange coating all over them and I had to clean them constantly. Talked to the Tech about it and he said unless you buy the kevlar or ceramic pads you are going to get the dust problem.

My 03 has the chrome clad wheels, haven't had a problem one. Keep-in these wheels clean is a breeze. I think I just like the shine of chrome better anyways. You never have enough chrome.

Quick Reply: alum wheels or chrome