3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator problems

i need to know if anybody ordered the plow group on there trucks before nov of 2002 and what sized alternator they got. my truck came with a 139 amp and the website said it should come with a 160 amp. just starting the truck when it is cold my volt meter stays at 12 volts for about 10 to 15 mins befors raising up to 14. dc is giving me the strock around saying that the alt is big enought for the truck with a plow hooked up to it. they also said that they could not upgrade the alt on the truck because it would effect the electronics on the truck. just trying to see what everyone else got on there trucks. If this is the case i think i will have to rethink my choice on buying from d/c and go with ford. i don't think that this problem should warrenty them losing a customer but they i will not work with me at all and i am sick of it this has been going on for 2 weeks now. and i have one hell of a headach . please respond asap thank you James <br>
Old 12-18-2002, 05:15 PM

Re:alternator problems

James<br><br>Sounds like your truck is acting normal.<br><br>When it is real cold, the grid heaters will be on for a good while and will keep the voltage low.<br><br>The first time I noticed it was after dark and it really got my attention until I found out it is normal. My headlights were dimming and going back to normal every few seconds. It was not very cold, so they were cycling quickly. It only lasted a few minutes.<br><br>I do not think you have a problem.<br><br>Dan
Old 12-19-2002, 05:40 AM

Greetings,<br> The 160 Amp Alt. only comes with a GAS motor. Yes I know that it makes no sense but thats the way it is. The voltage should read around 14 volts after 3 minutes no matter how cold it is. If you doubt the dash gauge put a real test volt meter on the battery and see what it says. Dodge put in a buffer on the volt meters on the Diesels so you won't see the voltage cycling with the heater grids. Enjoy your new toy.<br>Jeff
Old 12-19-2002, 03:52 PM

I know this is not a problem just seeing if that is what came with all of the trucks. If you order the plow groupe now it comes with a 160 amp dc tells me that you can not upgrade to the 160 becuse it will cause ale problems. i think that is a bunch of bull I hope to have pics up soon
Old 12-20-2002, 10:25 PM

did they say y it would cause a problem? My chevy 5.7 gas came with a 100 amp unit i upgraded to a 200 amp unit to run the light front and rear heat and a/c wipers and my other stuff in the bad weather i also put in 2 batteries. A larger alt should not affect anything, as far as i know and i have been doing this stuff for almost 20 years now, in fact it should help prolong the life of ur batteries by not letting them discharge as much. I f u find anything out from the dealer I'd be interested to know. Off the top of my head the only thing i can think of that would cause a problem would be the lack of a large enough fuse to handle the larger alt.<br><br>Dan