3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up AC thoughts

So, I'm thinking about the AC in my truck, we all know that Dodge did not put a great system in these trucks.

One of the mods I have seen is to block off the heater core so that no hot fluid enters the cab. I've seen valves and such for this, but I'm pretty cheap, I was just going to run a hose from the supply to the return for the motor, then take some coolant and fill the heater core up with fluid, then put a piece of hose on it to loop it. This way, I'm not disrupting the flow of coolant coming from the engine, and the heater core stays full of coolant so I don't have corrosion/dirt/etc in it.

As far as refrigerant, I am old enough to remember R12, but know that we have 134a now. I remember that R12 would freeze your unborn children out...

I understand (basically) how an ac system works, pressurizing the gas into a liquid, the liquid chills the air by removing the heat blown over the fins... back into a gas to dissipate the heat, then compress to turn into a liquid again and cool. That is a dumbed down version, so don't worry about trying to explain it further to me, I'm just trying not to type a book

I have heard of people using propane, but we won't discuss that as it is deemed dangerous, so it is not an option in this thread.

One of my friends claims that he charged his system with either nitrogen or CO2 (can't remember which one he told me), and he said he can hang meat in his truck.

Anyone care to comment? Just need a gas that is colder at liquid temp that an AC system can compress that far, and is not harmful to me or the environment...

Not trying to , just thinking out loud.

TIA!!!
mad
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Another thing I was thinking about in my truck, not specifically for the AC, but it would help...

I'd like to relocate my tranny cooler to under the truck (have a custom cooler made) and put electric fans on it. This would remove a lot of the under hood heat, allowing for the AC condenser to do a better job.

I was originally thinking of this to lower the temps for my CAC...

Relocating the batteries close to the same location as well, open up some under hood area for triples and more air to flow
Just thinking out loud again
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't cheap out. Get the valve and be done with it and also get a slimline condensor fan. You will be set.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
can any one post a link to the orginal post on the heater vavle set up. If I remember right he used two valves. And also how would you switch the electric fan?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by Spooler
Don't cheap out. Get the valve and be done with it
What is the difference? I'm asking to be educated, not to be difficult.

I would have the electric fan set on a temp switch referencing the tranny fluid temp. Probably would set it to come on 50% at 130, and 100% at 160. Numbers might move... just throwing them out there.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the same aux fan as spooler and it definitely helps make the A/C blow colder.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A manual heater valve is only a few bucks at any auto parts store. You only need one, in either of the lines.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Get a Derale fan relay setup. Not that expensive and the fan will come on with the A/C clutch or tranny cooler temp. The valve is just too cheap not to run. Install it and you are done. No need to rerun lines for winter time. Getting the air pocket out of the engine sucks.....LOL
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Using the valve is worth a 4-5 degree drop at the vents.

Since I'm super lazy someone please post the p/n for the slimline fan again.

MikeyB
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Using the valve is worth a 4-5 degree drop at the vents.

Since I'm super lazy someone please post the p/n for the slimline fan again.

MikeyB
LOL......... How many years lazy are you?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mad, I that little $2.77 mod to the AC by wrapping the AC line under the hood (the one that runs along under the Pside fender from the firewall to the front). I know that isn't completely related to your coolant routing, but if you're needing an easy quick mod until you get the rest of the plan sorted its worth it. The truck will get cooler sooner and stay cold.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Mad, I that little $2.77 mod to the AC by wrapping the AC line under the hood (the one that runs along under the Pside fender from the firewall to the front). I know that isn't completely related to your coolant routing, but if you're needing an easy quick mod until you get the rest of the plan sorted its worth it. The truck will get cooler sooner and stay cold.
Is there a write up on this? Just searched and only this thread came up.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Thanks, Shorts... I forgot about that. You are right!

00, if you follow your AC line, you will see where some of it is not insulated. Go to any home improvement store, you can get tape and foam insulation, wrap it yourself.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 00Dog
Is there a write up on this? Just searched and only this thread came up.
Sure thing 00, here's the link: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t293709.html

Looks like the pics to my links are dead (I switched photo host) so new ones attached. But it is working great this summer. While we are not as hot here as Mad is getting out in AZ (we're only about 105* heat index compared to their 112*), the cab gets superheated while sitting closed. The AC gets cooled down relatively quick.

Here's the aluminum looking line that gets wrapped (the one on the left in the top pic, follow it forward).

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
Thanks, Shorts... I forgot about that. You are right!

00, if you follow your AC line, you will see where some of it is not insulated. Go to any home improvement store, you can get tape and foam insulation, wrap it yourself.

You bet. I forgot about it over the winter but really glad about it now

Quick Reply: AC thoughts