3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I'll need to find some valves and give this a try on mine. Seems easier than my other option...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
oh snap! redneck A/C!! That is way too funny!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you still have the temp difference from driver to pass side during first part of cool down?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Chapter President

having a temp difference from drivers to passenger is going to happen no matter what we do because of the distance the air travels from the blower to the drivers side. My drives side far left vent has very little air coming out of it even on high and there are no obstructions.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Here's a link to a vacuum operated vlv that you could just tee into the "max ac" recirc door vacuum line. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=21
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Do you find the ENGINE temp runs hotter not having the flow from the top of the head?
Any comments on an increase in engine temp?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Chapter President

i have not noticed any real gains in engine temp as of yet. if I do, then I will add the "T" fittings to keep the coolant circulating with the valves closed.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
i have not noticed any real gains in engine temp as of yet. if I do, then I will add the "T" fittings to keep the coolant circulating with the valves closed.
Thanks for the reply, thats the one thing that has held me up from doing this mod.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't notice any difference in engine temps with the mod.

Also the 3rd gens uses electric motors for the doors, so there's no vacuum actuators.

MikeyB
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Haven't notice any difference in engine temps with the mod.

Also the 3rd gens uses electric motors for the doors, so there's no vacuum actuators.

MikeyB
Sorry I forgot it was a third gen thread........
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

WOW!!! holy smokes, what a difference! as i stated above, i did this mod to my 6.7 last night. i was literally at the end of my rope with the poor a/c on this truck. had it at the shop monday, and they added 1/2lb of freon. said everything else was within specs....yeah right. there was absolutely no difference when i got the truck back from them. had to let it cool off all afternoon yesterday, then did the mod last night. i have been in my truck from about 6:45 this morning until 2:00. i don't have a good thermo to test before and after temps, but the difference is amazing. i went from literally thinking of getting rid of the truck, back to loving it. the a/c is the biggest bother i've had with it. and when i went back to the dealer the first time to feel other new trucks, they were all the same...crappy. my 2 superduties would blow you out of the truck in 100+ temps. i'll post some pics this evening and tell you guys what i used for parts in case anyone is interested in this for the 6.7. it's really the same as the 5.9, just adding a couple tee's and an extra hose to carry coolant over to the turbo. looks as though there is a little less room to work on the 6.7 compared to the 5.9, but it's not too bad. totally worth it though.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So is there any benefit in adding a bypass to allow coolant to continue to flow from the inlet hose to the outlet hose. I was thinking of setting the valves up so that when you block off the core, the coolant flows through the bypass. Is it worth the extra effort?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Chapter President

I would imagine that if you added the "T" fittings you would have to do a valve in the middle to shut off flow so when you do use your heater, it flows like normal.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM

not sure how much of a benefit there is on the 5.9. it may keeps the engine temps down a small bit. you have to do the bypass on the 6.7 to carry coolant to the turbo.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mastercaster
WOW!!! holy smokes, what a difference! as i stated above, i did this mod to my 6.7 last night. i was literally at the end of my rope with the poor a/c on this truck. had it at the shop monday, and they added 1/2lb of freon. said everything else was within specs....yeah right. there was absolutely no difference when i got the truck back from them. had to let it cool off all afternoon yesterday, then did the mod last night. i have been in my truck from about 6:45 this morning until 2:00. i don't have a good thermo to test before and after temps, but the difference is amazing. i went from literally thinking of getting rid of the truck, back to loving it. the a/c is the biggest bother i've had with it. and when i went back to the dealer the first time to feel other new trucks, they were all the same...crappy. my 2 superduties would blow you out of the truck in 100+ temps. i'll post some pics this evening and tell you guys what i used for parts in case anyone is interested in this for the 6.7. it's really the same as the 5.9, just adding a couple tee's and an extra hose to carry coolant over to the turbo. looks as though there is a little less room to work on the 6.7 compared to the 5.9, but it's not too bad. totally worth it though.
hot dang, exactly what i was looking to hear! thanks for being the test mule, mastercaster! im heading to the hardware store in a bit to grab the needed parts for my '01, my dad's '05, and my uncles '06. Guess I will grab another set for my '08 while im there with the addition of 2 5/8" tee's and a 12" section of 5/8" radiator hose, right?

Quick Reply: AC performance mod