3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
Do you think it will hurt the heater core if no coolant flushing it constantly therefore causing corrosions? If not, I was thinking if I installing two normally open electric valve and run a relay to tap into the A/C compressor. When you turn on your A/C, the valve closes and no heat into the cab. Where can I get an electric valve to fit the heater hose?
This might not work so well in the winter when the A/C comes on with the defroster....
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good quality antifreeze mixed at the proper level should have enough corrosion inhibitors to prevent damage. But it's a good idea to open the valve (or valves) several times during the summer months to circulate coolant through the core.

MikeyB
Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here it is done. Still too cool out to check actual gains of doing the mod. Spoke with a Cummins tech at my dealer and he came over and we are going to check temps when it gets hotter.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Nice work!

I check the core temperature after driving into work this morning. With the heater controls set to max heat the air is still cool coming out of the vent registers. But I'll check again when it's hotter this afternoon.

MikeyB
Old 06-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

My buddy and I are going to check his truck against mine tomorrow @ my dealer. He has today off. will post results with outside air temp, AC temp ect..
Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Do you find the ENGINE temp runs hotter not having the flow from the top of the head?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
Here it is done. Still too cool out to check actual gains of doing the mod. Spoke with a Cummins tech at my dealer and he came over and we are going to check temps when it gets hotter.

I took a look at my 6.7L engine and don't think I can do this mod. There is a braided hose running from the return line to my turbo, so I don't think I can cut off the heater circulation. Maybe some sort of bypass would work, but with the EGR equipment above the exhaust manifold, it is VERY tight.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Busboy
Do you find the ENGINE temp runs hotter not having the flow from the top of the head?
I doubt you would notice any kind of increase in temps. that flow is not detrimental to the cooling of the engine. It is a spot where pressure is and just provides a positive flow for the heater core and the return is a spot where less pressure for that return to go back into the engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by sabersix
I took a look at my 6.7L engine and don't think I can do this mod. There is a braided hose running from the return line to my turbo, so I don't think I can cut off the heater circulation. Maybe some sort of bypass would work, but with the EGR equipment above the exhaust manifold, it is VERY tight.

you would have to do a bypass then to keep the coolant going to the turbo.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 PM

I live in FLORIDA so I'm very interested in this mod!! 100 in the shade today with 120% humidity ..... Let us no what the temp. change is. I sure hope it works well, the AC is terrible in these trucks.

Also can you check the temp. split between the driver and pass. side to see if this helps that. My wife will thank you!! It takes a good 5 min. to catch up.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Muted User

You guys should check your charge also, mine was real low from the factory, I charged it up good 2 yrs. ago, and it will freeze me out in a few minutes. I also live here in Fla..
Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 PM

I have added a supplementary electric fan to the front of the condensor on my Bronco to improve AC performance when the truck is stopped, and have been thinking of doing the same thing on my 06. The AC seems to suck until the truck is moving, once I hit 20 mph the AC starts to work well. I've owned my truck for three weeks, most of my driving has been in 110+ degree temps during the day.

My 81 Ford van had a set of shut off valves installed by my dad years ago. If I remember correctly it was a valve set from Prestone or one of the coolant companies. It has a pair of shut off valves for the lines, and a crossover pipe to keep the flow moving through the lines.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Just typing to save in my threads so i can watch this...Good luck guys
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Chapter President

my initial findings are great. I did not have a thermometer to get an actual temp but outside temps were 90 degrees, 6pm, traffic and thought my nipples could cut glass! LOL... I will get actual temps tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Yesterday evening on the way home in 93 degree ambient temperature I check the heater core temp again. Still cool air coming from the vent registers with the heater set to max temp. So for now I'll just use the one valve on the supply line. I'll check again later when on a long trip which should give the system really good heatsoaking.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: AC performance mod