3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked up the stuff to do my 6.7 last night. i got 2 ball valves, 2 brass t's, some hose clamps and an extra length of radiator hose. i think i am going to cut both lines, install valves and t's then run the extra piece of hose between the t's. that way i can shut off coolant to the intake and return lines of the heater core, but still keep it flowing through the turbo. i'll do the work tonight. my truck was in the shop yesterday to have them look at the a/c and do the latest flash. they said it was 1/2 pound low on freon. no leaks were found, so it must have come from the factory low. i'll let you know how the mod goes with the 6.7. the south texas sun has been taking the life out of the a/c in the afternoons lately. hope it works well.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a 12v electronic 3 way valve... with 2 of these you could automaticly shut of circulation to the heater core and open up a recirculation flow back to the engine... Expensive.... but a cool tech fix none the less!!!

Now just see if they will ship overseas or if they have them in the USA...
http://www.baytree.co.uk/products/20P_3way.html

Technical Specification:

Working Voltage: DC5V/DC12V

Working Current: 85 ±10mA

Static Current: 10±5mA

Input Power: max 3W

Working Pressure: 1.0Mpa

Actuator Rotation: 90 degree DC Motor

Rotation Direction: double acting

Operating Time: 5 seconds

Operating Temperature Range: -20 to +99 centigrade

Humidity Range: <95%

Manual Override: available
Body: brass or stainless steel
Enclosure: IP67
Actuator: heatproof ABS
Ball: brass or stainless steel - "L" or "T" type
Stem: brass or stainless steel
Sealing: PTFE, silicon rubber ball seat, EPDM and NBR stem seat, NBR o-rings

Please note that all BSP threads are parallel. Taper thread is available to special order.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Or here is a manual diverter valve...

http://www.valvestore.com/products.asp?dept=1549

Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mmurray
Here is a 12v electronic 3 way valve... with 2 of these you could automaticly shut of circulation to the heater core and open up a recirculation flow back to the engine... Expensive.... but a cool tech fix none the less!!!

Now just see if they will ship overseas or if they have them in the USA...
http://www.baytree.co.uk/products/20P_3way.html

I think 99 degrees C could easily be exeeded I think I would want a actuator that would be good for at least 220 F or 105 C.
Jim O
Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
went to the dealership and showed my service adviser. He thought it was a cool mod and was curious to see the temps.

82 Degrees out
AC on high recirc
in their parking lot no moving

It settled at this temp and got there in a hurry. We had like 5 guys over there looking at it and thought it was cool. Will get some more temp readings when it gets hotter and on the move.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jim O
I think 99 degrees C could easily be exeeded I think I would want a actuator that would be good for at least 220 F or 105 C.
Jim O

99 C is almost 212 F... you don't think it could handle it?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Chapter President

MMurray, nice avatar! that is funny there
Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Question

Originally Posted by cbrahs
went to the dealership and showed my service adviser. He thought it was a cool mod and was curious to see the temps.

82 Degrees out
AC on high recirc
in their parking lot no moving

It settled at this temp and got there in a hurry. We had like 5 guys over there looking at it and thought it was cool. Will get some more temp readings when it gets hotter and on the move.
Could you show the temp difference with the valves oven and closed??
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mastercaster
i picked up the stuff to do my 6.7 last night. i got 2 ball valves, 2 brass t's, some hose clamps and an extra length of radiator hose. i think i am going to cut both lines, install valves and t's then run the extra piece of hose between the t's. that way i can shut off coolant to the intake and return lines of the heater core, but still keep it flowing through the turbo. i'll do the work tonight. my truck was in the shop yesterday to have them look at the a/c and do the latest flash. they said it was 1/2 pound low on freon. no leaks were found, so it must have come from the factory low. i'll let you know how the mod goes with the 6.7. the south texas sun has been taking the life out of the a/c in the afternoons lately. hope it works well.
Keep us updated on this, with photos of your setup, if possible. We have done this for years on all our old gasser trucks but I have never thought to do it on a CTD. I am interested in how your 6.7L setup turns out.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM

got it all in tonight. took longer than expected. having to do the extra line to allow for the turbo, and the tight space took added time. i'll let you know how it works tomorrow in the heat of the day. i'll try to get some pics of the set up.the intake line is so **** tight, i am not sure i can even get a picture of it. the return has a lot more room. it needs to sit overnight anyway to cool down. it sat for several hours this afternoon, thinking it would cool down enough to get in there and work on, but it was still really hot, so i waited until this evening to tackle it. i have my fingers crossed that this works well. i'll let you know.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Semis have been doing this for years, some are cable that move the valve, or use the air system. The valve only has to go on one line, usually its the pressure side.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Unit44
Could you show the temp difference with the valves oven and closed??
i plan on it. just waiting for it to get a bit warmer.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome thread! I will be doing this soon!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 AM

It would be nice to see the difference when the valves are open and closed, especially for those in the Phoenix area! Sounds promising.

Brad
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Chapter President

like stated above. will have those numbers soon. my truck is at the dealer getting a tie rod replaced, the boot is torn. i can call my tech and have him get those numbers for me while he is working on it. it was his dirty aresd fingers in the picture above! LOL

Quick Reply: AC performance mod