3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Yeah, it was Africa Hot, Chris!

Umm - N'Stuff... not sure you want to use a PEX valve.
i dont know either, i guess. it has 100 psi rating and is good for up to 300 degrees. if it will not work, please let me know. my other concern is the heater core return line. it ties into a line going from tranny to tranny cooler. is this a problem?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 AM

Well, it was 95 degrees when I left work yesterday. I have a big sunshade that covers the windshield and both front windows. I put it up when I got to work at 7:00am. At 5 minutes til 4:00 I started the truck and turned the A/C to high. At 4:02pm I returned to my truck and it was nice and cold inside. I pulled the shade down and got on my way. Within 10 minutes I actually had to turn the fan down to low because it had gotten too cold in there. It's supposed to be 96 today with high humidity and I will see if it works the same today. Can it be so simple as just keeping a sunshade in the windshield during the day???????
Anyways, if that's all it takes to get the A/C to feel right then I won't need to do this mod. We'll see. BTW, the cab was not even hot when I used the big sunshade even though it was 95 and humid out. I was pretty amazed at that but it is a big shade that completely covers the windshield and side windows....
Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sunshades makes a big difference. Especially our trucks with the hugemongous windshield. I have a thermometer inside my truck I have seen up to 125 degrees without the sunshade.

Loving the mod though, even in 98-100 degree weather I'm not having to use recirc very much.

MikeyB
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Well, mine pretty much stays in recirc mode. I did not try regular mode. Maybe I'll do that today....
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Going to do this today--was 102 yesterday! I have a laser that I check temps with and my dash gets to 200 where the windshield meets.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N'Stuff
i dont know either, i guess. it has 100 psi rating and is good for up to 300 degrees. if it will not work, please let me know. my other concern is the heater core return line. it ties into a line going from tranny to tranny cooler. is this a problem?
PEX specs that I'm familiar with are closer to 200*F... maybe you have a crosslinked valve body with Kynar internals and PEX-type compression ends?

IMO, the heat, pressure & vibration would DQ the use of plastic for a pressure-side coolant valve on a CTD.

I don't subscribe to the need for an additional valve in the return line.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM

PEX specs that I'm familiar with are closer to 200*F... maybe you have a crosslinked valve body with Kynar internals and PEX-type compression ends?

IMO, the heat, pressure & vibration would DQ the use of plastic for a pressure-side coolant valve on a CTD.

these pex valves that i have are brass and and are supposed to be pretty good. i can always get another valve if you think this one will not work.

i was worried about the core return line T-ing into that tranny cooler line. i want to make sure i dont have any tranny problems just b/c i wanted colder a/c!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM

92 degrees today and once again with the sunshade in the window all day the truck cooled off very quickly, even with the A/C in normal mode. I'm very happy now. I may still do this mod one day.....
Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Sunshades makes a big difference. Especially our trucks with the hugemongous windshield. I have a thermometer inside my truck I have seen up to 125 degrees without the sunshade.

Loving the mod though, even in 98-100 degree weather I'm not having to use recirc very much.

MikeyB

So, apparently does a new A/C compressor! I haven't done this mod to my '08 yet, simply because it is more involved and a tighter space than my '01 and my father's '05 and I just haven't had the time to spare. My '08 was at the dealership getting the turbo tapped and cleaned and, when i went to pick it up today, they told me they put a new compressor in too. I didn't even know the old one had gone out, i just thought the sucky A/C was just a product of these new trucks. Apparently not, the A/C blows MUCH colder now. I think I will hold off on the mod for my '08 less this compressor starts giving me trouble, too. I don't want the dealer hassling me about putting another one in there under warranty if it comes to that. I still love the way this mod works on my '01 though! Woke that A/C right back up!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 PM

I've read this thread, purchased the needed parts, but was curious about your last statement. Can you elaborate why you do no feel the need for an additional valve in the return line?

Thanks,

Casey
Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 AM

I posted the reasons earlier in this thread, but apparently it may have been deleted (this mod is incorporated into something we sell, and we're currently not an active advertiser)... suffice it to say that there is no mechanism of thermal energy transfer that would require the use of an additional ball valve in the heater core return line in order to keep hot coolant out of it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Maybe I am in a very limited miniority, but I have no issues with my '05 AC. I rarely switch it to recirculate, only when it is in the mid to upper 90's. The air is plenty cold, and I usually have the fan on the lowest setting after 10 to 15 minutes of driving.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

At least by these forums your in a limited minority.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
Maybe I am in a very limited miniority, but I have no issues with my '05 AC. I rarely switch it to recirculate, only when it is in the mid to upper 90's. The air is plenty cold, and I usually have the fan on the lowest setting after 10 to 15 minutes of driving.
After topping off my freon charge, I too am happy with my A/C. It blows a measured 44 deg F when in the 90s outside, and I also run on lowest fan speed after the interior cools off. I'll keep this mod in mind, but will not be doing it on my truck.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM

If it's below 90 degrees out then mine works great too. I think the majority of us with issues have them at above that 90 degree mark....

Quick Reply: AC performance mod