3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

600 watt linear in the 03+ CTDs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600 watt linear in the 03+ CTDs???

Just what it says...anyone here put a big cb linear in their new ram with a CTD?? I'm talking minimum of 600 watts.

I had this in my 99 without a problem, trying to figure out what it might do to this 04.5 600 CTD because of the added computer BS.

Hopefully someone here has done this??? I'm getting a lot of maybe, yes, no, it'll fry something, it won't hurt nothing, etc., but not one person has actually said they have done this so I'm playing chicken.

My setup will be a Cobra 29 (with most mods done), pushing this TX400 amp which is 150DK, swinging 600 watt through a magnetic Wilson 5000 on the roof...same setup I had in my 99 ram and it worked great. The amplifier is under the drivers front seat. CB is mounted to the driver's side of the center hump.

Any help will be appreciated!

steved
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 AM

I just just out my old Texas Star amp the other day to through in. Figured I would bench test it first and make sure all is OK. Turns out it isn't, something with my linear is bad so I didn't put it in. So I can't help you, but I tried......
Old 11-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Banned

I appreciate the thought!

steved
Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I everything is grounded correctly and the SWR is pretty flat, it will probably work great. You should hook a uniden grant (AM/SSB) up to that setup and see how its does on 38 LSB. With that much power and a Wilson 5000, you should be nearly world wide if the skip is running. I was talking to a guy in Arizona last week on 38 LSB and I don't have an amp!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

I can talk (non-skip) about 100 miles that I know of on low power.

I have talked from Gallup, NM to East Texas before with a stock radio...no amp...thought I was talking to the radio shop in grants, NM!! Boy was I surprised when he said "get off I20 before you get into La" giving me directions to his shop...I was on I40 a long way from I20!

I know this setup works good, it was awesome to have when driving cross country. But I'm concerned about frying something...I had it in the 04.5 for about 3 weeks...only ran low which is about 10DK/200Swing and had no trouble...I'm wondering if I should worry about the swing watts since it actually is a steady output and only peaks with modulation. I can always run med which is 10DK/swinging 600 which is more than I need. I actually found no difference running med to hi.

On high, I'm running 150DK and 600 swinging...someone besides me has to be the guinea pig!

Anyone know where they hid the computers on these trucks??? Is it inside the cab now or is it still outside tucked into the fender somewhere??? I know they stuck one on the side of the engine!

steved
Old 11-16-2004, 07:09 PM

ive been looking to get a linear amp for my cb. could anyone PM me with where i can get one. thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, the only computer is on the engine.

I can't imagine what you guys need with that sort of power on the cb bands. I'm sure you know it's illegal as hell to run that kind of power on those frequencies. Kinda inconsiderate too, as you often overload the front end of other people's receivers and overpower whatever they're trying to listen to. It doesn't have to be another cb either-I hear folks with big amps fairly often on ordinary broadcast bands.

If you must run multiples of the legal power limit, ground everything well, and keep your swr as low as possible. And please, make sure you're not overmodulating your amp! That REALLY blows everything else away, regardless of intended frequency.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

To ease your concerns about WHEN I run MY amp, I run it at night and out in the middle-of-nowwhere. It wasn't a daily thing...mostly late nights when I was hundreds of miles away from everything (and everybody) and needed the power just to reach out to talk to someone. I'm sorry if you think that is a problem. I don't. So next time you jump on someone cause they have an amp and they are not running a ham radio, make sure you are barking about the something THEY did wrong and don't assume anything. That was really uncalled for, I was asking for opinions and experiences running this amp in this model truck, not your personal view of whether someone should run linear amplifier at all.

As for the information on the computer, thanks, I kinda figured that one out by searching around the truck the other day...they have did away with the body mounted one and stuck it on the side of the block to cook. My radio was set up correctly to run this amp...I didn't bleed over too much of anything other than other cb radios on other channels and like I said before, I barely ran it.

steved
Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will discuss openly in a public forum how thay intend to break the law, and then get upset if someone say's anything about it.

Since the subject matter is clearly a violation of federal law, this one is done.