3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2007 wiring, TIMB module

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 wiring, TIMB module

I just purchased a 2007 Ram 2500 4WD Diesel Mega cab, I have since read the extensive thread aboud the problems w/ 2006 and hooking to trailers that have a wiring problem. As I understand, starting in 2006 they removed inline fuses or breakers that would have otherwise protected this electronics module, and after you've hooked it to a trailer that has a lighting short for the 5th time, you're sc@#$^d. I then understand that Dodge updated a program that allowed a bit more tolerance, but offered no fix in the way of an inline fuse adapter. My question is ---- is the 2007 configured the same way, or did they go back and add some fuse or breaker before this TIMP module. In other words, if hook up to trailers with wiring problems with my 07, am I going to be blowing fuses, or using up my alloted shorts? Hope this question makes sense, thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the module can be reset each and every time it happens. Worst thing is the dealer has to do it .My advice would be to get the trailer fixed! LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 12:40 AM

VZ i think the module can only be reset 3 times before it has to be completely replaced. but i am unsure.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I can't find anywhere that it says that specifically, you could be right. The way it is designed though should make it resettable as amny times as needed. It measure amperage and if it sees too high of a draw, or a short, it will turn that circuit off. Should be no reason not to be able to reset it more than three times.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM

when my wipers went out first they replaced the wiper motor and then when that didnt work they replaced the TIPM.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my trailers lights were shorted and the first time I plugged into my new truck the trailer left turn wire coming out of the truck went dead. took it to the dealer and they told me they had to replace the entire module. was covered by warranty but they had to order it and it took several days to get the part.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM

The 07 does use a tipm,and it can be reset but there is a finite # I don't recall exact #, but more than 3.

Bob
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fyi the trailer does not have to have anything wrong, it only needs to pull more than 15a. Guess how I know...
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

How many lights do you have? There's a flash to make it 20 amps. Would that be enough?

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
THE StarSCAN® FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM
THE INTERNET.
StarSCAN® UPDATE CD 6.05 WAS THE LAST CD TO CONTAIN FLASH FILES.
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-021-06, DATED
MAY 10, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A
COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT
REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
TIPM Flash - DTC's Indicating Short Circuits In The Wiring On The Trailer Or No Engine
Crank With DTC P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves a discussion and reprogramming of the Totally Integrated Power
Module (TIPM).
MODELS:
2006 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to April 03, 2006 (MDH 0403XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customer may experience any of the following TIPM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):
B166B - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Low. Trailer harness left lamp circuit
is shorted to ground.
B166C - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit High. Trailer harness left lamp circuit
is shorted to battery voltage.
B178C - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Over Current. Trailer harness left
lamp circuit is intermittently grounding.
B166F - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Low. Trailer harness right lamp
circuit is shorted to ground.
B1670 - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit High. Trailer harness right lamp
circuit is shorted to battery voltage.
B166E - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Over Current. Trailer harness right
lamp circuit is intermittently grounding.
B1667 - Back Up Lamp Feed Low. Trailer harness back up circuit is shorted to
NUMBER: 08-021-06 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 13, 2006
ground.
B2215 - Front Control Module Internal (TIPM). An internal fault code counter has
exceeded its limit of 250 counts and one or more electrical outputs controlled by the
TIPM have been disabled.
P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low (TIPM). The output feed current to the starter
solenoid has exceeded the upper current limit of 75 amps. This may result in a
no-crank condition.
DISCUSSION:
DTC's B1667, B166B, B166E, B166F, B178C and B2215:
1. These DTC's indicate that a (hard or intermittent) short circuit to GROUND exists in
the wiring of one or more of the TRAILER electrical harness circuits.
2. The TIPM retries the output on each ignition cycle or request (brake or turn signal
activation) in an attempt to enable the output in case the fault is intermittent.
3. DTC's B1667, B166B, B166E, B166F, and B178C may occur individually or in
combination with each other.
4. For the two over current DTC's, B166E and B178C, the fault is set when the TIPM has
detected electrical loads on the circuit greater than 15 amps.
5. If DTC B2215 is also present with one of more of the above DTC's, then this fault code
indicates that the TIPM has detected the faulted condition (short) on one or more of
the trailer circuits more than 250 times. When detected more than 250 times, the TIPM
disables the electrical output (turns off) to the respective faulty trailer circuit to protect
that circuit and the system.
6. Short circuits can be intermittent and will require diagnosis and repair of the trailer wire
harness.
7. Once the faulty circuit has been repaired, the dealer must use a scan tool to enable
the respective trailer circuit that was previously been turned off (disabled) due to DTC
B2215.
8. The new TIPM software raises the TIPM circuit trigger point from 15 amps. to 20
amps.
DTC's B166C and B1670:
1. These DTC's indicate that a short circuit to BATTERY voltage (12 volts) exists in the
wiring of one of the TRAILER electrical harness circuits.
DTC B2215 - Front Control Module (TIPM):
1. This fault code occurs when the TIPM detects a short (to ground or to battery) on one
of the trailer circuits more than 250 times.
2. When B2215 is present with one of the above trailer circuit faults the TIPM will turn off
(disable) the respective faulty trailer circuit or circuits.
3. This internal fault DOES NOT mean that the TIPM module is defective.
4. The TIPM memory can be cleared, this action will turn on a previously disabled trailer
circuit. If possible, the fault in the circuit should be repaired first before clearing the
TIPM memory.
5. DO NOT replace the TIPM without first attempting to clear the TIPM memory.
6. The dealer will need a scan tool to clear the TIPM memory.
7. If one or more of the TIPM outputs are disabled due to one of these conditions, normal
operation can be restored a maximum of five (5) times.
8. The TIPM will be rendered inoperative on the sixth attempt to clear the TIPM memory.
At this point the TIPM must be replaced. The DTC(s) that indicates the problem and
DTC 2215 will both remain ACTIVE. Neither fault code will can be cleared at this point.
08-021-06 REV. A -2-
DTC P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low (TIPM):
1. The TIPM monitors the output current to the starter solenoid for over-current
conditions.
2. The DTC is set when the output current to starter solenoid exceeds 75 amps.
3. On trucks equipped with a diesel engine, there may be times in cold climates when it is
normal for the starter solenoid current to exceed 75 amps.
4. If DTC B2215 is present in addition to DTC P1277, then a starter solenoid circuit
over-current condition has been detected by the TIPM module more than 250 times. At
this point, the circuit to the starter solenoid is turned off until the TIPM memory is
cleared.
5. The new TIPM software raises the TIPM current trigger point for DTC P1277 from 75
amps. to 100 amps.
DIAGNOSIS:
If any of the DTC's listed above are present, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: The Repair Procedure (TIPM flash) currently can not be performed using the
StarMOBILE™ in its STANDALONE mode. Use the StarSCAN™ to perform
the Repair Procedure, or use the StarMOBILE™ in its CONNECTED mode to
perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH9401 StarSCAN® Tool
CH9404 StarSCAN® Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCAN® Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCAN® Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCAN® Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent
REPAIR PROCEDURE - USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
NOTE: Before performing this Repair Procedure, the operating software in the
StarSCAN®; must be programmed with software release level 7.02 SP1 or
higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of
the StarSCAN® screen.
NOTE: The StarSCAN® diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity.
However, to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the
StarSCAN® for your dealership's network. Make sure the StarSCAN® is
configured to the dealership's network before proceeding. For instruction on
setting up your StarSCAN® for the dealer's network refer to either:
“DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online
Documentation”, or refer to the StarSCAN® Quick Start Networking Guide.
The StarSCAN® Quick Start Networking Guide is also available on the
www.dcctools.com website under the "Download Center".
-3- 08-021-06 REV. A
NOTE: The Repair Procedure (TIPM flash) currently can not be performed using the
StarMOBILE™ in its STANDALONE mode. Use the StarSCAN™ to perform
the Repair Procedure, or use the StarMOBILE™ in its CONNECTED mode to
perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Open the hood and install a battery charger. Using a voltmeter, verify that the charging
rate provides 13.2 - 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not
allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the
battery when the flash process is complete.
NOTE: Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash
process.
2. Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN® ethernet cable to the StarSCAN® and the dealer's
network drop.
3. Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN® vehicle cable to the StarSCAN® and the vehicle.
4. Power ON the StarSCAN®.
5. Select “ECU View”
6. Touch the screen to highlight the TIPMCGW in the list of modules.
7. Select “More Options”
8. Select “ECU Flash”
9. Record the part number at the top of the “Flash TIPMCGW” screen for later reference.
10. Select “Browse for New File”. Follow the on screen instructions.
11. Highlight the appropriate calibration then select “Download to Scantool”.
12. Select “Close” after the download is complete, then select “Back”.
13. Highlight the listed calibration.
14. Select “Update Controller”. Follow on screen instructions.
15. When the update is complete, select “OK”.
16. Verify the part number at the top of the “Flash TIPMCGW” screen has updated to the
new part number.
NOTE: Due to the TIPMCGW programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other
modules (PCM, TCM, BCM, MIC, SKREEM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so
equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the “Home”
screen select “System View”. Then select “All DTCs”. Press “Clear All Stored
DTCs” if there are any DTCs shown on the list.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
08-021-06 REV. A -4-
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
18-89-01-11 Erase And Reprogram Totally
Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
(B)
0.3 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
-5- 08-021-06 REV. A
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM

So if I'm going to be hooking to various trailers that I''m not familiar with (the condition of their lighting system(s)), I probably need to build my own fused connector like I saw in another post dealing w/ this problem on 06's?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

That could work, but I think 20A is enough for most trailers . You can build your own box, but you would have to completely bypass the TIPM. I don't know how guys are getting the signal for the lights? They all go thru the TIPM. Unless they are using relays to take the load off. All in all, I'd try the flash. Should be fine for most applications.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by williamdr
So if I'm going to be hooking to various trailers that I''m not familiar with (the condition of their lighting system(s)), I probably need to build my own fused connector like I saw in another post dealing w/ this problem on 06's?

yes better be safe than sorry. hopefully DC will figure out what they did and push some fuses inline!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding, 20 amp or even higher won't help me if I'm frequently hooking to various trailers (other peoples trailers) where I likely will encounter dead shorts and other wiring issues. If I read correctly on the other post, you build your own "in line" fuse box in a connector cable (plug into your truck and plug trailer into other end of your connector cable) for the circuits that are no longer protected from the factory with an inline fuse, otherwise, after you hook to 3 or 5 bad trailers, your TIPM is done for versus $.50 fuses. Somebody splain to me if I'm not understanding this, the flash is only going to help if your trailer has a load higher than the TIPM is currently programmed for, not if your going to be hooking to other's trailers, correct?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I see. If you make your box that has fuses smaller than the 20A, then maybe. Problem is the fuses will generally withstand more than they are rated for, for spike purposes. Like the amp draw of an a/c compressor. Fused at 20A, but spike amperage can reach 30! The TIPM is more senative than that. It may see a spike and shut things off, all the while the fuses are o.k. . I'm not saying that it won't help, but it's not gonna be foolproof. Just my opinion.