3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

06 AC megacab problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 AC megacab problems

Well I have had the recirc door problem since I bought the truck and just sealed off the intake and use just refresh air. The AC has never blown real cold but in the texas heat and humidity it was standable, well now it doesn't work at all it blows only warm air and the evap line on the right is freezing up. I went ahead and put a charge to it but still nothing. It seems like it has a restriction somewhere but I don't know where to look first. The compressor clutch engages when i turn it on but the line freezes after about five minutes and nothing. I need a diagram of the electrics or the AC system if anybody has had this issue or knows where to get one. Also should I take out the evap coil and relocate the sensor like others have done in the 1st gen trucks?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM

do you know it's charged correctly ?? The evapator coil will freeze 1 st & block the air flow. I'am in the residental A/C field. But I didn't want to tackle this job. I paid $800 + to have my leaking evap. coil replaced.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 PM

well i am pretty sure its filled correctly, it does act like it isn't but it more acts like a restriction in the system than low on freon. The compressor kicks on as soon as you turn it on and won't kick off either at least for 10 min that is how long I have run it. It freezes up on the line to the right of the firewall looking at it from the front which I am sure that is the liquid line within 2 min of turning it on. I did put a cheap charge/gauge on the acumulator and it did read low but if there is a restriction in the liquid line then it won't read proper pressures. I haven't checked the high side yet though next to the radiator. I am leaning towards either the liquid line/orifice or the high/low pressure transducer. I am looking for some symptoms others have had with this same problem.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Your description is just what mine was doing.. I added dye to the system, properly charged it.I drove it about 20 miles & it was freezing up again. I looked at the condensate drail with my light & could see where the dye came out with the water. I did put a guage on the high side but, everytime that mine got low, the line your describing would freeze 1 st.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM

So what did you replace to fix it?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM

it sounds like your expansion valve/orfice tube is plugged.That happened to my father in laws truck.