3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

03 In Shop for Rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 03 In Shop for Rust

Just wanting to know if any of you have heard newer trucks rusting out? I have a 2003 3500 that has been in the shop for a week getting a new box put on by the dealer. Passenger side right above the wheel well the paint bubbeled in five spots so I took it to the dealer to see if my warrenty would do anything. At first they said no until I told them that a person should think that when you spend 30-40 g's on a truck it should look good for more than two years. They said they would paint the side which was fine with me ( sand, prep,paint ). Got a call one day after I dropped it off saying the rust had gone through the box on both sides and they were going to put a whole box on the rig. My question is has anyone else had this same problem and will I have rust up on the cab soon. I do have spots of what look like rust up on the cab but you have to be close to see them ( dealer said they are rail dust and I would have to have the truck buffed to get rid of them). I hope I didn't pay this much for a rust bucket!! Had a 2000 Ford PS looked like new when I traded it.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, welcome to the best Dodge/Cummins site in the world.

Second, it sounds like DC is taking care of you on this. That's good to hear after so many people have NOT had good experiences with their customer service.

Having said all that, I haven't heard of this problem on any new Dodges before. Hopefully this is an isolated event.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:49 PM
VPI

If I rember correctly some of the 03's had some salt water damage and were recalled I wonder if this is a truck that slipped through the cracks? I want to say the ship they were on got in a hurricane and swamped or something like that. To answer your question no have not heard any rusting problems.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:04 PM

What color is your truck? I had some people having paint troubles with Patriot blue.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Do us a favor, get the date of mfg off the door sill and post it here. Also include the exterior color. There was a bunch of Garnet Reds repainted by the dealers after they arrived and some were never shipped because of poor paint I was told and I also saw it here. But that sounds like rust started from the backside or am I wrong?
Nat
Old 09-19-2005, 07:47 AM

I picked up my truck late Friday night from dealer. It looks like a brand new truck again. Brand new box and they buffed and waxed the rest of the truck. I have nothing to complaine about, they took care of me on this issue. The questions I was asked, I hope this is what you want. On the door the date of mfr. is 10/02 and the color of the truck is light almond pearl metallic. When I asked the dealer if they had seen or heard of paint problems in 03 they said NO. You guys make it sound different. Imagine that
Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 AM

Doesn't sound normal to happen that early... but rust in that area is common on all trucks. If you don't keep the mud and slush cleaned out of the wheel wells it'll start rusting in that place. The fender lip holds the mud/slush in that area.

I used to work at a car wash and noticed that the Dodges and Fords seemed to rust faster than the GM trucks. Me and my Cummins are glad I moved to OK a year ago from northern Iowa
Old 09-19-2005, 12:39 PM

Congratulations on being a satisfied customer. Sounds like you came out alright. Some of us remember the 2003 CTD on Ebay a couple of years back that had a shattered bell-housing. It was almond, and the fellow selling it on Ebay said the engine ran away when it was started inside the repaint booth. According to him it had less than 30 miles on the clock and he had bought it salvage from the Dodge factory in Louisville or a dealership I can't remember which. Anyone else remember that story?
Nat
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM

I do.... I do.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:10 PM

I actually have what seems to be rust starting on my truck box too. It is in the seam of the box side and the bulkhead in the front of the box. Right on top next to the stake pockets. Both sides too. But the reason I haven't said anything yet is because I had a spray in liner done to it shortly after purchase. So my thinking is when they scuffed the box to do the spray they went a little too far into the paint on the edge where the seam laps over. I will take it back to the place that did the spray and see what they have to say first. I don't think dc would touch this one with a 10' pole since I put the liner in aftermarket.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess it might be prudent to clean inside the fender well and shoot some automotive undercoating in there.

MikeyB
Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM

As of yesterday my dealer is setting up an appointment for my truck to see a Dodge rep. I have paint bubbles on the edge of my wheel well on the drivers side of the box. Would have been a no issue if I had less than 36k miles but since I had 36013, I have to go through a rep. Makes me wonder why I spent $40k or more on a truck that is already rusting. Lets see what the rep has to say.

2004.5 2500 Quad Cab CTD
Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by underwoodtransp
I actually have what seems to be rust starting on my truck box too. It is in the seam of the box side and the bulkhead in the front of the box. Right on top next to the stake pockets. Both sides too. But the reason I haven't said anything yet is because I had a spray in liner done to it shortly after purchase. So my thinking is when they scuffed the box to do the spray they went a little too far into the paint on the edge where the seam laps over. I will take it back to the place that did the spray and see what they have to say first. I don't think dc would touch this one with a 10' pole since I put the liner in aftermarket.
....yeah, but you live in Minnesota. One of the few states where a torch is considered a neccessary tool for a brake job. The only rust on my truck is the driveshaft.....one thing I like about living in AZ.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Some 03's did have paint issues and received a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty after they found the issue. I wonder if the dealer ran your vin and found the issue to be covered thus allowing you to get a new bed.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:03 PM

And here i was just gonna post my negitives about the dealer and rust.I havent noticed any real rust yet, but that rail dust speck crap all over, buffed if a few times no good, So took it to the dealer, My answer? ( its break dust, just wipe it off.) My reply, well the trucks over a year old been washed hugely, been buffed and it comes back? They tell me that as long as i use my brakes to stop my truck, the dust settles on the body, and yes even on the roof, and causes rust spots :P