03 Dually fender problems - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

03 Dually fender problems

Old 05-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #1  

03 Dually fender problems

I have a new 03 Ram 3500 DRW purchased in Texas. Shortly after bringing it home (Jan) I noticed that when the truck sat in the sun, whichever rear fender was heated up would expand and shrink up... causing the fender to actually slide down the side of the bed anywhere between 1/8 to 1/4 inch. When the fender cools, it sucks back up to fit flush again. This sliding up and down all day has caused the all the paint/clearcoat to be rubbed off the side of the truck. The truck looks good in the shade, but get it in the sun and you'll notice a white mark above the fenders that looks like you forgot to get some wax off, but it's actually the clearcoat and paint rubbed off. I've been in contact with my local dealer since I bought the truck in Janl, and they finally came up with a fix.... guess what??? double sided sticky tape. The dealer had my truck for 2 days, so now I have a $45K dually truck with fenders held on with tape. The tape doesn't allow the fenders to fit flush against the side of the truck, so you can clearly see all the damage (scratches/rub marks) that the fenders did, plus they have a gap instead of fitting flush. So now I have to take the truck back again to have them repaint the rear of my truck and put the fenders back on again.... This problem is with all 03 Dodge Duallys, if you have one, I'm sure you've noticed the problem....please get ahold of your dealer and CALL CHRYSLER....lets get them to fix it right, these trucks are too d**n expensive to have these type of cosmetic problems.. Please email me at [email protected] and let me know if you have the same problems.....
danram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #2  

Re:03 Dually fender problems

I have seen the same thing. I was at the dealer, they were doing my first oil change(free). I had noticed the same thing on my truck. I looked at all the other duallys and they were all the same. Dealer(Greenville Chrysler) said that this was "normal". I dont know if you have the tow mirrors or not but I told them that mine seemed to shake alot. Well they basically said that this was "normal" too. Where did you purchase yours? Kyle
KSwanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 PM   #3  

My fenders have the same problem. And it really shows on black. I was going to tighten the attaching bolts to see if that would cure the problem.<br><br>Casey
Casey Balvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 AM   #4  

I bought my truck at Bluebonnet Mtrs in New Braunfels. My dealer told me that the fenders are held on with plastic clips, that you cant tighten? I'm taking the truck back in next week and they are going to try something else. <br><br> My truck is black too, and it make me sick looking at a polished glossy truck with white around my fenders..<br> * Also, you guys have any luck finding 17&quot; dually wheels? I'm just looking for the rear ones. I'm pulling my front spacers off and running regular 17X8 wheels on the front. I don't like how the front dually wheels stick out, I've already broken my infamous dodge plastic simulators out 4 wheelN'
Old 05-13-2003, 09:19 AM   #5  

I have not had the fender problem yet that you guys seem to be encountering. I am usually parked in my garage or a covered parking garage at work, so the dually fenders on mine don't get a lot of sun. Having said that, I have parked out on the driveway for all day on a few occasions, but since mine is white it may not absorb enough heat from the sun to do what you guys have seen with the darker colors.<br><br>I do have a problem with the right TT mirror having popped out of the head, and my local dealer has ordered a new one to replace it under warranty (it is held on with duct tape for now until the part comes in).
GrandpasRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:22 PM   #6  

I have a white dually also and have not noticed the problem with the rear fenders. <br>
moss2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #8  

is it just the darker colored trucks or all the trucks?<br>DM01
dodgeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:39 AM   #9  

Its all the duallies, nomatter what color... for you guys w/ white ones... park your truck in the sun for 30mins, then go out and push on the outside edge of the fender, so can visually see the top edge move up 1/8 inch. I wish now that I had bought a white one, its just not as noticable. The black and blue are the worst, followed by the red and green....the silver is like the white ones...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #10  

I wonder why this problem did not occur on the 2002s. BTW I have the white one and haven't noticed any change.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #11  

I quess you guys need to get a flatbed and chuck the stock bed ;D
Copenhagenjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:33 AM   #12  

Has anyone been to the dealer regarding this problem? If so what was the end result. Repainting won't help. Something needs to be done to prevent the edge of the dually fender from moving on the side of the box. Interesting that previous model years did not experience this. What has changed?<br><br>Casey
Old 05-15-2003, 09:54 AM   #13  

See my first comment and what the &quot;fix&quot; was... I'm taking the truck back on monday, they want to try adding plastic rivets to better hold in on.... from what they said, its held on with plastic clips?? Anyway, they are repainting the sides of the bed where the fenders rubbed up and down... If the rivets don't fix the problem, I'm pushing the dealer/chrysler to buy the truck back and get a single axle 3500... Sucks though because I think the duallys are better looking...w/out em the truck looks too much like a Ford from the sides...
Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #14  
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

The white dually shows a very thin line where there is movement. Mine washes off when cleaned up. I think a thin nylon/plastic strip between the fender and bed would take care of any paint damage. It would give it something to move on rather than the paint. I don't think I would want a welt in there - - too obvious.
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:15 AM   #15  

The dealer just scratched their heads yesterday when I showed them the problem. Look on page 23-45 at Fig. 26 in the Service Manual. There are two sheet metal plates called &quot;support brackets&quot;. There are two of these on each side, one in the front and one in the rear of the fender. These plates are loose during assembly and they hang the fender on these plates by a lip molded into the top edge of the plastic fender. There are also studs along the front and rear of the plastic fender that protrude through holes on the side of the metal box and fastened with nuts. Once the fender is hung on, these plates are tightened, clamping the lip on the top edge of the plastic fender to the metal fender of of the side of the box. In my opinion these metal plates are too light and become loose over time. I fixed one side yesterday by placing the plates in a vise at the bolt hole and bending in slightly to increase the clamping force on the plastic lip. It has fixed the problem but I suspect it will loosen again. I will do the other fender this weekend. You will need to remove the wheel well liner. The job should not take much more than forty five minutes per side. It is easier if the wheels are removed first but the job can be done while the wheels are in place as long as your arms are fairly long. As I mention, I think DC needs to fix this permanently with heavier plates.

Casey