3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Which turbo to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which turbo to get?

I am looking into upgrading my turbo and exhaust manifold to help lower EGTs and get my drive pressure down verses just putting water meth on it which is more wallet friendly. I am no expert by any means so any input on what would be best will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to look long term and see which one would be better. I haven't had any problems out of the VGT other than drive pressure and it can't seem to push quite enough air to keep my truck from smoking like a freight train with it turned up. I have stock injectors and cp3 and are going to keep them stock until later on. I figure going with a turbo will be better in the long run since I plan on upgrading injectors eventually and will have to upgrade then but for now adding air before fuel seems better in my opinion. The other question is if going ahead and getting a turbo and all would be better then which one would be better. I've been researching a little bit and seems people like the S472 but that seems a little big for stock fueling other than a programmer. Industrial injection has the silver phatshaft 64 that would seem to be a little more stock friendly and still support upgraded injectors later on when I do them. Like I said I'm no expert in any of this so was just looking for some input from you that know more than I do and/or have had either one of these turbos on your truck or a different one if it would be better. I haven't been able to update my signature yet but only thing that is different is I have 5" TBE now instead of 4". Everything else is the same. Thank in advance for any input.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66/73/.91 is a nice well rounded turbo affordable and will stand by your side efficiently till around 700-750 hp but is not vgt if you plan on doing alot of pulling with you rig then i would stay with a vgt because IMO the low boost is far better for that purpose now if your just wanting a street toy that can still pull from time to time then the 66 works well as far as your drive pressures its not all in your turbo your exhaust manifold can improve that greatly and i recommend changing both at the same time just my two cents tho
Attached Thumbnails Which turbo to get?-photo-3.jpg