3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetic oil

I would like to know if anybody has used synthetics in their vehicles....if so what brand and what was the oil change intervals and benefits.....just want to get some real world information before I do the change over....my truck only has 45,000 km's on it
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Well, I don't mind jumping in here but be forewarned.....people get really freaky and defensive about their chosen brand of oil!

Generally speaking, synthetic oils are better overall performing oils than petroleum oils. There are however, some VERY good petroleum oils out there for our trucks as well as all cars, bikes, etc. For our trucks, brands like Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo and other oils in that category are very, very good. In fact I have Rotella in my truck right now until I delete the emissions crap off of it and get my dual by-pass filter mounted up.

In the synthetic group, what are generally considered to be the top-tier synthetic oils are those such as Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple (I have to be careful and put these in alpha order so nobody can claim I have slighted their oil). There are certainly others but let's just keep it at these three biggies for now.

Personally, my first exposure to synthetic oils was with Amsoil. I started using it in the BMW R100GS motorcycle I owned nearly twenty years ago. I was very impressed. The head-pipe blueing that was on the bike when I got it went away in less than 1,000 miles and the heat reduction coming from the cylinders was reduced down to the point that I could ride with low-cut socks and tennis shoes in the summer (those that know air-head Beemers know this is no small feat----I'm guessing 40-50 degrees less or more). I'm reasonably certain that other synthetic oils would have given me similar results but nevertheless it was results that you could see and feel. I was sold from that day. In fact, probably the most impressive product of theirs I have used is their transmission fluid. The difference has been VERY noticeable in every vehicle I have tried it in. Their gear oils are also very impressive. I'm certain other brands also provide very good results with similar products of their own.

Now, the problem you have with the 6.7 and other current-day diesels is that the emissions controls on these engines cause the oil to get so contaminated that when the owners manual says change it-----its pretty much time to change it. If you delete your 6.7, then we're back to where we can talk about one of the main general advantages of synthetics, which is the ability to run them longer between changes. In the case of Amsoil, its a whole lot longer but they all pretty much have the ability to go longer between changes.

In short, are they better? I think the matter has been tested to death and yes synthetics are better overall. Are they worth it? Depends on how you calculate it I guess. I have found that they do improve MPG somewhat over lesser oils but that doesn't really offset the price. Being able to run the oil longer certainly helps to offset the price but with modern-day diesels this is kind of a moot point. Once I delete my truck, I won't think twice about running Amsoil at least 25,000 plus miles before I change it. Now that's definitely worth the added cost for me. I may even try one of the other top shelf synthetic oils out there but I don't think the savings would be there if I do.

Any reputable retailer will carry excellent synthetic oils for your truck. In fact where I live, NAPA auto parts carries Amsoil in addition to the others I mentioned. Cheers!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 AM

synthetic oils

Hey guys ,just switched over to lucas synthetic 15/40 and on the first full tank of fuel ,i got over 900kms in town and on hiway,so i know that i getting better fuel mileage already and i wont have to change for at least 30,000kms saving money already got to like that.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM
orr

Not trying to high jack, but after deletes is it still necessary to use a cj4 type 15/40?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by orr
Not trying to high jack, but after deletes is it still necessary to use a cj4 type 15/40?
No, the CJ4 was basically to help with the emmisions. If you can find the earlier CI4 then go for it.