3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine oil and synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine oil and synthetic oil

I'm not asking for an "oils-war" here as to which is one is best, just wanting to know what the synthetic oil is and why it may be better or worse to use over the Delo-400 I use ?

I have read on here about different people with different ideas as to which is best, I am just looking for a bit of education because I don't know what a synthetic oil is.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply put, one oil is human-engineered and the other is dinosaur-engineered and then human re-engineered. The latter is pumped out of the ground in various forms from tar to parafin. It's then refined and altered to become whatever petroleum product is needed at any given time.

Synthetics can be made from just about anything containing hydrocarbons. Fact is, your favorite maple tree could be a prime candidate for the base materials of your next oil change. In a way the synthetic oils are the same as synthetic rubies or diamonds. All three are produced from base materials in a controlled environment. The results in all three cases aren't much different from what nature provides... Except that we get what we want from the start.

So... Synthetic vs. Mineral???

My best guess is that if it makes you feel better to spend big bucks on synthetic, then go right ahead. I'm also guessing that there isn't a significant difference between these two different products other than price. I say this because the petroleum-based oils are just as synthetic as the "synthetics" by the time the chemists get through refining them.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that manufacturers would have different warranty standards if different oils performed all that differently? Inflated claims aside, engines that are fed a properly rated lube that's changed on a regular basis seem to live a very long time whether they've been fed synthetic or dino drippings.

For my own purposes I'll stick with dino drippings. When it gets to the point where my engine requires something that natural oils can't be made to do, then I'll go synthetic.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
IMO the only reasons to use synthetic in a CTD are:
  • Subzero winters, the 5W-40 oil will flow better for better protection on cold starts.
  • Extended oil drains (with analysis so you don't go too far). Some applications can go over 80k before changing.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:05 AM

Well I guess you could say that they summed it up pretty good. those of us that use Synth oil love the stuff for varoius reasons. As stated it will flow better in cold climates. I myself have learned from experience that the synth oil will protect much better than dino oil.
There are various types of synth from numerous makers so choose wisely. Some auto makers send out new cars that require synth oil only so good luck.
Personally my choise is AMSOIL and others will put their .01 worth.
Yes you do pay extra for synth but I think it's worth the money.

Oh, yeah I believe in saving the planet and not using dino as much as possible so we don't have to be dependant on other countries oil
Old 01-02-2005, 11:38 PM

Synthetic oils are proven to wear moving metal parts less than dino oils. I have seen the results by looking at camshafts of vehicles not using and using synthetic oil. Pretty dramatic over the long haul. Synthetics also hold up much better to heat. There is lots of material on the internet about synthetic oils compared to dino oils. Some cars must run sythetic to retain the warranty (corvette, lambourghini, etc.). It doesn't cost that much more when you consider what your CTD is worth. Also, longer drain periods. If you don't plan on keeping your vehicle for more than 100,000 miles you probalby won't see the benefits of reduced wear on your diesel engine. thats my .02.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 AM

...and if you drive mostly short trips or start and stop the engine with little off periods, dino breaks down quicker more prone to coke the turbo bearing.
Nat