3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

S67 is dealer detectable????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
guys if "undetectable" is what you want.

1. leave it stock
2. buy a 2nd ecm, mod the crap out of it and if you have any issues swap it back to the factory one. Dmax guys do it I don't know why Cummins guys can't.
From what I have read, the ECM is also adaptive to the injectors. You would need the Star-Scan tool to invoke a learning step to re-install any old or new ECM back into service.. Not too many Star Scans for sale.. GM lets you change their ECM with a spreadsheet, not exactly the same thing with Cummins.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Yes, aren't the 6.7L ECMs calibrated with the injectors' serial numbers?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I didn't know it was that involved...
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I'm curious if anyone knows the real truth behind this? If that's the case, how are the detecting the serial number from the injector? That's kind of crazy if true.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All of my past dealings with the StarScan found that it was not as in depth the investigator we have come to be afraid of. It was just the next step in dealer communication/diagnostic equipment. It was capable of using a wireless card and having more memory to keep techs from wasting time uploading and downloading from fixed desktop computers. It was slower if anything, but it did have direct communication via internet to Chrysler. I believe that allowed Chrysler more effective monitoring and quicker feedback when it came to warranty issues with their software. It did make tracking possible though. On the other hand, each time that I did changes to the X-brand module I was using, that manufacturer had knowledge of my VIN and software in my ECM. Hmmmmmm...

Chris
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Administrator
I'm curious if anyone knows the real truth behind this? If that's the case, how are the detecting the serial number from the injector? That's kind of crazy if true.
It is not an injector serial number but a calibration code. All 6.7 injectors will have a calibration code which must be input into the computer. I figure the computer uses this code to determine fuel trim for the injector.

Richard
Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by raychem
It is not an injector serial number but a calibration code. All 6.7 injectors will have a calibration code which must be input into the computer. I figure the computer uses this code to determine fuel trim for the injector.

Richard
this is true. a code is put in the ECM for each injector, its a correction code for fuel trim, and so far bosch is the only one with the ability to test and put codes on the injector. the codes must be entered in to the ECM every time a new injector or ECM is installed. the differences are very minor but it makes a difference.

if i can no longer buy a pre 6.7L emissions free motor i will buy gas jobber before i would buy the new diesel junk.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 AM

Yes - the injectors' serial numbers correlate with an individual correction factor that reflects their actual performance.

Nothing novel, since new injectors normally fall within an acceptable range of flow quality, but keying the ECM with actual flow characteristics of each injector allows a magnitude increase in process control...

"Katy bar the door!" once the aftermarket has the ability to test & code injectors and then configure an ECM for the hard parts. The BSFC will be taken to the next level for both increased fuel economy and power production.
Hopefully Don & Marco are already co-developing this!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM
DTR Founder

It's funny how I always hear about how the electronic age is going to remove the ability to enhance power on these trucks. I've also noticed that every time this happens, someone out there somewhere, develops a product to make it happen. I don't think performance will ever go away as long as these trucks are being built. There is too much fun involved, and people will do anything to have fun
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That main difference is that in the old days, you could do some work yourself and crank up the power. Now days, you have to wait for someone smart to figure out how to up the power, then buy his toys. Now you have the manufacturers working against him, so it just means our guy has to be smarter. As long as you can find people smarter than the manufacturers, I think we'll be OK.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
That main difference is that in the old days, you could do some work yourself and crank up the power. Now days, you have to wait for someone smart to figure out how to up the power, then buy his toys. Now you have the manufacturers working against him, so it just means our guy has to be smarter. As long as you can find people smarter than the manufacturers, I think we'll be OK.
Hi, you own a Dodge! I wouldn't think we have to worry about them being smarter anytime soon
Sorry, just couldn't pass up the chance to poke a little fun at them actually being smarter!

Shawn
Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Well, that's a good point and one of the main reasons why I have been considering buying a first gen truck lately. Just for something to tinker with and make into a mean machine. This 6.7L I have in the driveway is a nice rig, but I aint touching it until the warranty is out.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my 2 cents, but thanks to everyone who buys the new trucks so when things go wrong we can learn about them. If we didn't have people like that, we wouldn't know a darn thing and only the dealers could fix em. Ha now that's funny. I know more about the 6.7 than both my local dealers put together. They both know what I do with mine and I even got a call from one of the sales guys 2 days ago asking what to do if the overhead was showing the DPF was 80% full. He had called his own service dept and they couldn't tell him what to do. This is the basic stuff we're talking about here, I know there are lots of great techs out there, but they don't learn much from Chrysler. They learn it from us.
For those of you depending on the dealer to fix something under warranty, well sure they can supply the parts and the guy to turn the wrench, but your gonna have to tell them which bolt to turn because they sure aren't going to know on there own.