3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Programmer only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
Blake, so the bung is for the 2nd O2 sensor. Still not sure about why there is this bung other than it was designed to run with SIMS for the other items and still needed the O2 sensors functional?
That is correct.

Some systems, the Edge I know for sure, require the O2 sensors to remain in the exhaust stream. Hence the need for the bung holes. The better systems, Smarty and H&S among others, have done their home work and do not require the O2 sensors to remain in place. The first gen BADP delete kit I have on my truck right now came with a down pipe and it had the sensor bung in it and one in the delete pipe. My O2 sensors are in place, just unplugged and doing nothing more than stopping a huge exhaust leak.

The sims are nothing more than resistors that read a set resistance that corresponds to a pre-determined temp that substitute for the three temp probes in the stock exhaust.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all very interesting to me, I hope this thread continues. But being new to diesels I wish someone could post some pics. To me its like a 4 year old puttin a water heater back together.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
That is correct.

Some systems, the Edge I know for sure, require the O2 sensors to remain in the exhaust stream. Hence the need for the bung holes. The better systems, Smarty and H&S among others, have done their home work and do not require the O2 sensors to remain in place. The first gen BADP delete kit I have on my truck right now came with a down pipe and it had the sensor bung in it and one in the delete pipe. My O2 sensors are in place, just unplugged and doing nothing more than stopping a huge exhaust leak.

The sims are nothing more than resistors that read a set resistance that corresponds to a pre-determined temp that substitute for the three temp probes in the stock exhaust.
Thanks goodness for the Smarty. Years ago, I remember reading posts of guys that seemed they'd give their first born for a Smarty for the 6.7 because they loved it so much for the previous generations. I thought someone was going to die and it could not happen soon enough.

This being my first diesel, I did not have much of a clue as to why but I certainly new there were a lot of "Smart" people on this site and they must be on to something. Hence, when that sucker came out, I was on top of it and understand why now. The fact that it has so much power, options, flexibility, and can fix these emmisions with a few simple mods is the "bomb".
Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
This is correct. Matter of fact from now on I shall refer to the deletes in two stages.

Full deletes, deletes Blake style.

California deletes, deletes Mega style.
You can delete in California? How is that possible without getting away with it? If so, I'm ALL ears! Is there a way to delete the State Legislature at the same time?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by warriorboomz33
You can delete in California? How is that possible without getting away with it? If so, I'm ALL ears! Is there a way to delete the State Legislature at the same time?
Well the point of the mega-engr "California style" deletes is that they are easily put back to stock, say 2-3 hours, so that the vehicle can be inspected as a stock vehicle with stock programming, then returned to a Smarty enabled deleted vehicle in the same day.

Unfortunately, the state legislature would take a bit more BOMBing than Smarty alone can offer...
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Its all a big dog and pony show and one needs to figure out how to have their cake and eat it too.

Run with the deletes 99.9% of the time and have it stock 0.01% for when it needs to pass its tests.

Main point is to make sure one can easily go backwards if needed. It is still a federal issue to tamper with vehicle emmisions wherever you are.