3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Programmer only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
This is correct. Matter of fact from now on I shall refer to the deletes in two stages.

Full deletes, deletes Blake style.

California deletes, deletes Mega style.
That's pretty much it! Mega style takes less time and $, but is not nearly as good looking as studly as Blake style.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
Just so you know. All you need is a short straight delete pipe between the CAT and muffler for the exhaust and to do the simple and basic disconnections shown in the MADS instructions for the S67ME. Nothing more.

More power to you if you can save up and achieve the rest and clean it up nicely and not worry about going back!
Thats what I'm going to do, just the delete pipe, keep my muffler and tailpipe, for now. The delete pipe for 214.00 from HS, does that delete the cat also? I'm not going to remove the throttle valve and cooler, just unplug them. If I just unplug the cooler, what do I get, just the egr delete, or do I get the egr/cooler delete kit?
Wife gave me the go-ahead on the parts.
What about a air system, whos got good luck with what brand? Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 PM

(It is recommended that you run an H&S Fuel Rail Plug or Fuel Rail Shim Kit when installing an XRT on a 6.7L Cummins)

I copied that from the xrt Tuner from HS, is that only for when it is set in the 175 HP setting?

another question, is this tuner (XRT) the smarty
Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by sabercat
Thats what I'm going to do, just the delete pipe, keep my muffler and tailpipe, for now. The delete pipe for 214.00 from HS, does that delete the cat also? I'm not going to remove the throttle valve and cooler, just unplug them. If I just unplug the cooler, what do I get, just the egr delete, or do I get the egr/cooler delete kit?
Wife gave me the go-ahead on the parts.
What about a air system, whos got good luck with what brand? Thanks
No sir, the CAT stays in the system. It is the NOX and DPF cans that have all the connections and get deleted.

You don't need any physical "deletes". Disable is probably a better word. MADS shows the disconnects and how to remove the pluger from the EGR which is 5 minutes and you are disabled EGR wise. You just have "vestiges" at that point.

I have an S & B CAI, but there are many good ones out there.

(It is recommended that you run an H&S Fuel Rail Plug or Fuel Rail Shim Kit when installing an XRT on a 6.7L Cummins)

I copied that from the xrt Tuner from HS, is that only for when it is set in the 175 HP setting?

another question, is this tuner (XRT) the smarty
XRT is from H&S and people like it. Smarty is from MADS and people love it. I certainly do, and suggest the Smarty. They are different programmers. Both good.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM

No sir, the CAT stays in the system. It is the NOX and DPF cans that have all the connections and get deleted.

You don't need any physical "deletes". Disable is probably a better word. MADS shows the disconnects and how to remove the pluger from the EGR which is 5 minutes and you are disabled EGR wise. You just have "vestiges" at that point.

I have an S & B CAI, but there are many good ones out there.

XRT is from H&S and people like it. Smarty is from MADS and people love it. I certainly do, and suggest the Smarty. They are different programmers. Both good.
did you do anything with the cooler part of the egr? And did you take the egr pipe off, and plug it. Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
did you do anything with the cooler part of the egr? And did you take the egr pipe off, and plug it. Thanks
The cooler just needs to be unplugged.

Mega can correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that when you pull the EGR plunger it disables the system and you should not need to plug the crossover tube.

However, seeing how easy it is to remove/replace it may not be a bad idea to plug it. A freeze plug with a bolt welded/screwed to it seems to be the most common method.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

The cooler just needs to be unplugged.

Mega can correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that when you pull the EGR plunger it disables the system and you should not need to plug the crossover tube.

However, seeing how easy it is to remove/replace it may not be a bad idea to plug it. A freeze plug with a bolt welded/screwed to it seems to be the most common method.
OK thanks, he'll probably chime in.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
"California Style"

I took off the crossover tube and put a freeze plug in the housing for good measure. I also wanted to see how dirty that system was after only 3K miles? It looked like a chimney. I put the tube back on over the plug (doorman #555-020 with a bolt in the middle and nut on either side) just like original. Removing the plunger is all one phyiscally needs to do such that the butterfly is not activated. Also, Smarty commands the EGR control to zero anyway.

It is all so easy and basic when I read Marco's instructions I was sold on doing doing the ME. I originally bought the non-ME version.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 AM

I took off the crossover tube and put a freeze plug in the housing for good measure. I also wanted to see how dirty that system was after only 3K miles? It looked like a chimney. I put the tube back on over the plug (doorman #555-020 with a bolt in the middle and nut on either side) just like original. Removing the plunger is all one phyiscally needs to do such that the butterfly is not activated. Also, Smarty commands the EGR control to zero anyway.

It is all so easy and basic when I read Marco's instructions I was sold on doing doing the ME. I originally bought the non-ME version.
I'll make sure and get the ME version
thanks for the info, getting excited now!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM

I'll make sure and get the ME version
thanks for the info, getting excited now!!
Thats what great about the Smarty, you can go from any version you want to the other... ie Standard version to ME version, pending your needs, in under 30 mins.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM
"California Style"

Thats what great about the Smarty, you can go from any version you want to the other... ie Standard version to ME version, pending your needs, in under 30 mins.
Yes, it is cool. If I ever have to revert back temporarily, afterwards I can still run the Smarty regular as it is a relatively easy download to the unit and truck until I have the opportunity to disable again and then upload the ME...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Yes, it is cool. If I ever have to revert back temporarily, afterwards I can still run the Smarty regular as it is a relatively easy download to the unit and truck until I have the opportunity to disable again and then upload the ME...
mega, where did you say you ordered all your parts, I'll probably go your route, leave the cat on. Is it a little louder?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
"California Style"

Back when it was hard to even find a delete pipe, I was able to get a Pro-Flow with 1 bung in it for some reason. I put a cut down bolt in it to plug. I think I found the pipe at RPMOutlet.com. Cheapest route is to go to a mufler shop and have them weld a pipe to the flange with 1 hanger. That is really all it is. Freeze plug came from Kragen. Smarty came from right here at the DTR Store!

Honestly? I don't think it is much louder exhaust wise, but you can hear the exhaust brake more during warm-up for sure when it is cold.

I put a CAI on and like the sound of the turbo over any exhaust. Reminds me of being on an airplane...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Back when it was hard to even find a delete pipe, I was able to get a Pro-Flow with 1 bung in it for some reason.
The single bung is because the 1st O2 sensor is forward of the delete pipe flange in the down pipe. If you leave the cat in place, the first sensor can stay in the DP. Just unplug the sensor to use the ME version.

I too love the sound of the turbo with a CAI. I have aFe Stage II and it sure sings.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
"California Style"

The single bung is because the 1st O2 sensor is forward of the delete pipe flange in the down pipe. If you leave the cat in place, the first sensor can stay in the DP. Just unplug the sensor to use the ME version.

I too love the sound of the turbo with a CAI. I have aFe Stage II and it sure sings.
Blake, so the bung is for the 2nd O2 sensor. Still not sure about why there is this bung other than it was designed to run with SIMS for the other items and still needed the O2 sensors functional?

Quick Reply: Programmer only?