3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

P-0513 code with Smarty and deletes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I can sleep now, my Smarty is safe.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-0513 code with Smarty and deletes

Hi All, I had this ove on the stock thread but got no response so maybe it was in the wrong place. I'll try it here.

I am not sure this should be here or high performance so mods please change if needed.

I am writing to ask a question about a friends 2008 Larime 3500 with the 6.7. About 6 months ago I put a Smarty Jr. tuner with the ME software. We did a delete from the turbo down and unplugged the EGR and throttle valve. The truck ran great up until about two weeks ago. He got a Service Required message on the overhead with no CEL. This last Saturday we tried the key on gas pedal three times as well as the brake gas pedal but the message would come on every time he started the truck. We checked the batteries and seen they were not optimum, not bad but not great. He chose to replace the batts so at the same time we checked codes with the Smarty and received the P-0513 code. We deleted that code and all seemed well. The truck ran great as ussual and no message..... Until yesterday. He was driving down the hiway on his way home and the message came back.

Does this need to go to the dealer? He even tried a different key. If I remove the ME and take it back to stock in the ECM and delete the code again (if there is a code) and then re-install the ME program will this possibly take care of the problem?

The truck is out of warranty and he is nervous about taking it to the dealer and them flashing his ECM and ruining his tuner. Give me some advice.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure if this has anything to do with the tuner software really. The EGR does not need to be unplugged also, just the throttle valve. Something may be wrong with the key(s).
Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Mega-Engr.

I guess I miss spoke, the EGR isn't unplugged just the servo plunger removed.

As far as the key goes, he has had the truck since day one, never lost a key or replaced one. When this started up he changed keys to the never used spare that came with the truck after we cleared the codes.

I will try to remove the program and if the code is back delete it and then reinstall the program. Maybe that will do it.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That couldn't hurt to rermove and redo the programming. Could be that one of the keys never used always had a problem or developed one depending on where it was stored and such...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:01 PM

He is also getting the Maintenance Required See Dealer Now message. I am not sure what this is about. We tried clearing it with the key on gas pedal three times.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Has your friend ever changed the CCV filter on the truck? Those have to be changed every 67,500 miles unless of course they are deleted from the truck. You said you tried the brake and accelerator pedal, did you try turning the key on, push brake pedal twice and then accelerator pedal twice within 10 seconds, then turn key off?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Also, if he has the dpf pressure ports on the sensor on the transmission taped up, those need to vent to the atmosphere without anything on them.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the reply kwhite. I don't know if he has had the CCV done or not. I did not try the brake twice, fuel twice.

I did hook up the Smarty and check for codes again, there were none. I removed the program and set the truck back to stock setting and checked the codes again and found three. One was P-144E- EGR cooler bypass status line ciruit low and another was P-2142 EGR airflow throttle control circuit high, this one might have been P2141 EGR airflow throttle control circuit low. I am trying to remember these and my memory just isn't that good anymore. We wrote them down and cleared them and then reloaded the Smarty delete program. All looked good at that point. The last time I cleared the codes the message went away for about 200 miles. If the Service Required pops up again I will check to see if those three codes are back.

He did have some problem with the DPF and the turbo early on in the trucks life. I thought these codes might possibly be left over from those problems.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned

That CCV filter maintenance message won't show up as a code. You can reset that message even if you don't replace the filter. It will go away for the set mileage interval. I will send you a pm in a little while with some codes.