3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Oops! Help with Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I can sleep now, my Smarty is safe.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops! Help with Smarty

I pulled a real bonehead stunt last night. I received my delete stuff Monday and had a chance to install it Thursday. The job went like a dream, less that two hours and I am on the road. The only problem is I see a little more smoke than I expected.

I put note of that on here but did not wait for the reply (Thanks Blake for the response) and called Thorough Diesel and talked to a lady there. She put me on hold for a minute to ask for directions and came back on the line and told me I would need to reload the software. I informed her that I had bought the tuner from them and they loaded the software before they sent it. Her response was that sometimes things didn't work right and I should download the software. She asked for my e-mail so she could send me instructions. I get home and see she did not send instructions so I go into the Mads web site to down load the updated version.

Here's where things get interesting. I finally figure out how to get the data to upload with my new Windows & computer. Plug in the Smarty Jr and the first screen I see informs me that it is "Erasing Data". Oh cool..... After about 3 seconds it dawns on me not so cool I have not returned my truck to stock. I immediatley uplugged the Smarty Jr which had been plugged in for about 20 seconds by this time. The time counter had not changed to download.

This morning I called Thoroughbred Diesel and they directed me to Mads. I sent them and e-mail and waiting for a reply.

The guy at Thoroughbred suggested I try to return the truck to stock but I am afraid to do that until I hear from someone that is a little more in the knwo, he seemed as confused as I am.

My question is am I screwed or is the guy from Thoroughbred correct?

I can't beleive I am the first bonehead to pull this stunt, just the first to publically admit it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not think you need to return your truck to stock to update the Smarty software on it. This is from the Smarty home page under the F.A.Q. header.

Q. Can Smarty go from one program to another, or do you have to go back to stock, then to a program?

A. You can go from any software # to any SW #. No need to go back to stock!

I do not remember if I return the truck to stock when I went from ME14 to ME23 for my truck it has been awhile since I updated my software.
Jim W.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Dont worry about even touching your truck and having to return it to stock.

Just update the Smarty, and then go with it.

Done it a many of times.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks Blake, Thanks Jim W. I will sleep well tonight.

I really thought this would be the case but then I was concerned about maybe deleting the VIN and ECM serial number for my truck from the tuner and not be able to return to stock fro emissions.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No problem bud!

DTR, helping you achieve sleep, one safe mod at a time.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:24 AM

I received a reply from MADS. Blake and Jim W are correct. Here is part of the reply I received.

"About your Smarty there's no need to return back to stock the truck IF you only what to update the Smarty.
At this moment for sure your Smarty has some software instruction in itself but it's not complete.
We suggest that FIRST of all you restart to update your Smarty with software needed and then you fine tune your truck with the torque management level."

Thanks for the help. Have a great weekend. It has snowed here the last two days so my wife and I are hooking up the fifth wheel and going to the mountains.