3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Increasing air intake- limits of stock fuel delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increasing air intake- limits of stock fuel delivery

I am looking at ways to increase the power in my truck but without having to to use a downloader or other control box to add fuel or timing.

My question is, is there any point to increasing the air flow to the engine with a better cold air system, bigger intercooler, boost fooler, better intake horn, etc. without changing the fuel delivery parameters?

What are the stock limits of the fuel delivery system? If I add colder denser air to the intake, will the fuel system add more fuel to compensate? And to what point?

Is it possible to add too much colder denser air and actually create a lean fuel mixture?

Not looking to add tons of HP and Torque. Just looking for a little more get up and go...
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
At stock level fueling (no programmer) the stock air system is extremely efficient and adding to it will not create more HP...it truly only helps when you reach the 500 hp mark.

You want more power you have to increase fueling and that requires a programmer, adding more air without fuel is a waste of money in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiara you can put a cam in and do deletes if you don't want to add fuel for more get up and go. Larger intercooler pipes added lots of go to my first gen (pusher intakes) and an intake horn does improve throttle response on CR trucks. I'm thinking the same may be true to a 6.7. You could get your turbo modded as well for better performance.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just talking from what I feel in the seat of my pants, but I do think that there is benefit to adding air without fuel.

I recently bought an '08 dually that has an AFE cold air kit and nothing else and it seems to spool up quicker than my either my 2010 or 2011 did when they were stock. I haven't added an EGT gauge yet, but I'd bet there's at least a little help there as well.

If nothing else, the turbo now sings nicely.

My .02