3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

First emissions test with deletes and Smarty Jr., which setting to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by armourbl
Well, I guess that seals the deal for me. I'll just put the entire exhaust back on each year and get it tested (visually). What a joke.

My wife said they took a really good look, three different guys all conversing in secret and scratching their heads. Made her open the hood three times, crawled under the truck, etc. When told her about the Cat she responded "Do you think it could have fallen off or something?" LOL. Their response was for us to check with the mechanic who installed the exhaust because he may have kept the Cat and then sold it to someone else. LOL

They are going to love it when she shows back up with the equipment magically installed again.

ben
I even brought them a picture of the cans in my garage to show them I had them... Still wasn't good enough...

Originally Posted by armourbl
Oh yeah, she said they referenced a sticker that is under the hood that says the equipment should be there. I wonder if anything would have changed if I had removed the sticker.

ben
Yes, Maybe removing all traces just might confuse them enough to have it just pass the functional test and be done! That wouldn't have helped me though because they looked it up or something...

Originally Posted by Circle B
Mega, When you put everything back for the inspection, does that include the actuator valve in the EGR system or is it still turned off (tuner) when you take it in?
Also, one other annoying question for you and Blake, I am going to be doing a mix of the 2 delete methods and am assuming, since this is a daily driver which will never see a race, I will still have to have a tuner.... if for nothing else, just to turn off the EGR & DPF functions. The EFI Live (Beta for Cummins) looks very promising but is probably way more tuner than I'll ever need; so, is the Smarty Jr (ME) going to be sufficient to turn off the EGR & DPF system, help or hurt efficiency, and do I really need the added guages for running the 1st & 2nd programs? I do some heavy hauling (hay, cattle, equipment) but not on a consistent basis. Just wanted to get your opinions on minimal mods with deletes.
The actuator valve was so easy, I just put it back in to make sure I didn't get any CEL for them to screw me with after doing the wrenching and driving back/forth to them. Yes, the main reason I got the tuner was to do these deletes only, the extra power and functions were a bonus... I would have got the Jr. if is was availalbe, but the Sr. came out first and I wanted the deletes sooo bad. I don't think the gauges for the low power settings are MANDATORY, but it is RECOMMENDED. I went with the electronic gauge as some insurance and I wasn't sure how nuts I may eventually go with the power, even though I said I wouldn't mess with that . I've played, but always went back to the low settings.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks, that gives me the starting point I am looking for not too pricey but gets the job done well. I've always been a 'stock' type guy in the past but who knows where it will lead, may end up getting up to speed with the rest of you!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final update

Spent the morning and part of the afternoon yesterday putting the stock exhaust back on my truck. For those who don't know, I had done the full deletes, so that means turbo back exhaust. Foot notes for the install require you lower the cross member for the transmission in order to get the stock down pipe and cat out. It was a pain in the *** when removing the pipe, but even more so when reinstalling. Lucky for me a friend came over just in the nick of time to help me.

Given this, my thought was to recommend to anyone that has to do annual emissions tests to perhaps consider a cat back exhaust instead. The difference probably would have been 4 hours saved in the exchange.

Well, I passed the emissions test and now the visual inspection. Funny thing is the manager at the inspection station looked at the DPF and NOX filters using the mirror, then made the comment to me "Wow, they put two cats on this?" I partially corrected him and said one is the DPF. What a joke and waste of my time. I mean, really, if I passed the emissions test with all of the emissions garbage removed then what is the point of requiring me to reinstall the cat? Especially if one assumes that I'm just going to remove it again later that day. Stupid!

Another observation/hint -- Before you install your cool new aftermarket exhaust, cut the nipple end of the hanger for the down pipe off. It will make installing and removing the down pipe a ton easier and won't affect the install at all.

ben