Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-6-7l-only-170/)
-   -   First emissions test with deletes and Smarty Jr., which setting to use? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-6-7l-only-170/first-emissions-test-deletes-smarty-jr-setting-use-299490/)

armourbl 01-15-2012 10:26 AM

First emissions test with deletes and Smarty Jr., which setting to use?

So, the day has finally come. I need to renew my registration and an emissions test is required.

I have the full deletes -- EGR and cooler, throttle body, turbo back 4", Smarty Jr.. Which setting should I run the truck on for the test? I'm currently on setting 3.

I need to do the test by February 15th. Should I run the truck for a while on a different setting, maybe a few weeks? Should I have the truck good and warm and do the test in the morning while the air is still cool outside?

ben

mega-engr 01-15-2012 02:01 PM

Not sure where you're located, but I have all the stealth deletes, and still had to put it back 100% stock... It actually passed fine with the tuner and such as I had it, but failed the visual because those 2 huge missing cans underneath are kind of obvious when they look (delete pipe instead). I had to bolt the junk on, pass the visual, and take it back off. Again, the stupid visual issue was the only thing.[verymad] Otherwise, the Smarty tune I had was very clean and passed with flying colors.

armourbl 01-16-2012 09:31 AM

I'm in Arizona, Phoenix area.

When I take my Xterra in, they just plug in the computer and verify the VIN. Here's to hoping they do the same on the truck.

ben

mega-engr 01-16-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by armourbl (Post 3066528)
I'm in Arizona, Phoenix area.

When I take my Xterra in, they just plug in the computer and verify the VIN. Here's to hoping they do the same on the truck.

ben

Ya, I was hoping too. Here in CA, they did just that process. I went in playing stupid... They hooked it up and tested it which passed all the functional tests, took my money, and then failed it visually due to the missing cans. They asked me if I bought this from someone knew/realized this, etc. I tried to get them to look the other way. Even pay them to "bolt it back on". I brought a picture showing that I had all the stuff in my garage... I ended up bolting them back on a day later myself, took it back, and they passed me in 5 minutes. Hopefully, you find a shop that can't see well, lol. A day later, the cans were back on my shelf in the garage...

Blake Clark 01-16-2012 05:42 PM

Id set it to SW0 in case they do a exhaust pipe test.

I guess Im just lucky. South Louisiana testing consist of who can blow the most black smoke on a nearby Prius....

OK OK I kid. But at least we aint gotta put up with that crap.

armourbl 01-16-2012 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 3066708)
Id set it to SW0 in case they do a exhaust pipe test.

I guess Im just lucky. South Louisiana testing consist of who can blow the most black smoke on a nearby Prius....

OK OK I kid. But at least we aint gotta put up with that crap.

I thought the lowest setting is 1.

ben

Blake Clark 01-16-2012 05:59 PM

Well Ill be. I thought the JR's had an SW0 setting. The SR's do.

I apologize.

armourbl 01-16-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 3066721)
Well Ill be. I thought the JR's had an SW0 setting. The SR's do.

I apologize.

There may be a SW0, heck if I know.

ben

Blake Clark 01-16-2012 06:10 PM

Only listed as SW1 on the Mads site, but Id try to set it to zero just to see what happens. Either youll get a half power setting that will not smoke for anything.

Or the universe will implode.

Your call.....

:hehe:

mega-engr 01-17-2012 03:59 PM

Mine passed the smoke test just fine here in CA with SW3 loaded. It is just that [tapdshut] visual check of the equipment (not the smoke)!!!! [verymad]

armourbl 01-23-2012 11:44 AM

Emissions Test Report

Well, it failed. Visual inspection for the Catalytic Converter.

I guess I'll have to take the time to reinstall the stock exhaust and go get it checked, then reinstall the aftermarket.

Looking back, now I wish I had just did a Cat back system rather than a Turbo back system.

Do you guys think I should hassle with remove, install factory, remove, install aftermarket -- or -- just take it to a muffler shop and have them retro fit the Cat into the aftermarket permanently?

ben

mega-engr 01-23-2012 12:56 PM

Deja Vu here! Check this out! They failed mine because it was missing the CAT too. Well, I only have a delete pipe and it was NOT missing the CAT. It was missing the NOX/DPF. Their paperwork doesn't even have an area for the missing NOX/DPF, just the CAT. After arguing and shoing them that the CAT was THERE (because of my delete pipe only), they still said they know it is missing something and would not pass it and checked that it was missing the CAT... I was so frustrated. Anyway, this is why I went the delete route I did and Blake was nice enough to name after me, lol!

I put the equipment, not identified on the paperwork back, as the CAT was there all along, and then they passed me. Took it right back off after I passed...

armourbl 01-23-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr (Post 3069414)
Deja Vu here! Check this out! They failed mine because it was missing the CAT too. Well, I only have a delete pipe and it was NOT missing the CAT. It was missing the NOX/DPF. Their paperwork doesn't even have an area for the missing NOX/DPF, just the CAT. After arguing and shoing them that the CAT was THERE (because of my delete pipe only), they still said they know it is missing something and would not pass it and checked that it was missing the CAT... I was so frustrated. Anyway, this is why I went the delete route I did and Blake was nice enough to name after me, lol!

I put the equipment, not identified on the paperwork back, as the CAT was there all along, and then they passed me. Took it right back off after I passed...

Well, I guess that seals the deal for me. I'll just put the entire exhaust back on each year and get it tested (visually). What a joke.

My wife said they took a really good look, three different guys all conversing in secret and scratching their heads. Made her open the hood three times, crawled under the truck, etc. When told her about the Cat she responded "Do you think it could have fallen off or something?" LOL. Their response was for us to check with the mechanic who installed the exhaust because he may have kept the Cat and then sold it to someone else. LOL

They are going to love it when she shows back up with the equipment magically installed again.

ben

armourbl 01-23-2012 01:33 PM

Oh yeah, she said they referenced a sticker that is under the hood that says the equipment should be there. I wonder if anything would have changed if I had removed the sticker.

ben

Circle B 01-23-2012 04:53 PM

Mega, When you put everything back for the inspection, does that include the actuator valve in the EGR system or is it still turned off (tuner) when you take it in?
Also, one other annoying question for you and Blake, I am going to be doing a mix of the 2 delete methods and am assuming, since this is a daily driver which will never see a race, I will still have to have a tuner.... if for nothing else, just to turn off the EGR & DPF functions. The EFI Live (Beta for Cummins) looks very promising but is probably way more tuner than I'll ever need; so, is the Smarty Jr (ME) going to be sufficient to turn off the EGR & DPF system, help or hurt efficiency, and do I really need the added guages for running the 1st & 2nd programs? I do some heavy hauling (hay, cattle, equipment) but not on a consistent basis. Just wanted to get your opinions on minimal mods with deletes.