3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

EGR/Cooler and throttle valve delete concerns!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR/Cooler and throttle valve delete concerns!

I am working on my truck and so far all I have done is the 5 inch tbe and the air intake w/ the smarty. I realized tonight the "complete" egr/cooler delete from shibby isn't so complete, it doesn't come with the blocker plate!! well no worries i exchanged her for the h&s. While I'm waiting on the new kit to arrive do I need to unplug the egr, while I'm running the smarty for now?? Where do I un plug this at?? I will need some instructions on how to install the throttle valve delete it doesn't have any with the kit, however h&s has one with their egr kit. I read blakes write up but couldnt figure out the throttle valve install clues.

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnsoncattle
I am working on my truck and so far all I have done is the 5 inch tbe and the air intake w/ the smarty. I realized tonight the "complete" egr/cooler delete from shibby isn't so complete, it doesn't come with the blocker plate!! well no worries i exchanged her for the h&s. While I'm waiting on the new kit to arrive do I need to unplug the egr, while I'm running the smarty for now?? Where do I un plug this at?? I will need some instructions on how to install the throttle valve delete it doesn't have any with the kit, however h&s has one with their egr kit. I read blakes write up but couldnt figure out the throttle valve install clues.

Thanks!!!!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t273345.html
Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnsoncattle

Thanks!!!!
Read your Smarty instructions and/or visit the MADS Website for the instructions. You don't NEED to delete the cooler and you don't need to unplug anything other than what the instructions say. Keep the EGR plugged in, this is a necessary part of the programming circuitry. Remove the EGR plunger after taking out some screws to access the motor. 5 minutes work.

You can then do the other deletes (cooler, throttle valve) as you WANT to since you will have done the following per instruction:
1. Disabled the EGR function.
2. Disabled the DPF regeneration.

You said you all ready have the TBE so the exhaust side should be all good to go.

Those are the foundational basics.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Disableling the equipment as mega said is to just unplug it.

Make sure the EGR actuator motor (brown thing on driver side) stays plugged in. Unplug the Throttle Valve Connection and the EGR Cooler (passenger side)

That is all that is require to disable it. Deleting it would be to leave it unplugged, but remove the hard parts.

What is it about the throttle valve that threw you for a loop?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Disableling the equipment as mega said is to just unplug it.

Make sure the EGR actuator motor (brown thing on driver side) stays plugged in. Unplug the Throttle Valve Connection and the EGR Cooler (passenger side)

That is all that is require to disable it. Deleting it would be to leave it unplugged, but remove the hard parts.

What is it about the throttle valve that threw you for a loop?
Derailment here:

Just before my last towing trip, I realized that I never unplugged the cooler! Been running like this for over a year. What a dummy. Did not really notice anything though... I unplugged it for sure now. Truck performed awesome, but did get 9.5 MPG . Highest EGT I saw for a relatively short period of time was about 1250.