3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

H&S overdrive, is it really worth it? any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H&S overdrive, is it really worth it? any concerns?

Thinking of running the overdrive software, anyone had any issues with it? I've heared of lots of people that like it but just curious if anyone has any reasons to look at other options like the ATS co-pilot?

Thanks guys
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the H&S transmission tuning and have actually been researching allot about the ATS Co-Pilot. Here is my experience with the H&S software. Firm shifts, less gear hunting, more defined TC lock, better drive-ability when doing city driving. As far as the ATS Co-pilot here is what I think based solely on the research that I have done and things I have read with people that have them. First, it is much more expensive than the H&S software. ATS claims that it it the most capable and best transmission option for any transmission weather it be a stock or built transmission. Do I believe it, YES. There is absolutely no way to mimic what ATS can do with the Co-Pilot with just simply adding software. It is an add on box with many different options. I think that the H&S is fine with mild upgrades, BUT, if you have some serious upgrades like a different turbine, CP3, injectors, etc... You are going to want the Co-Pilot.

FACT: H&S software is great. ATS Co-Pilot is Better, and, one will be going on my truck as soon as I get my new manifold, turbine, CP3, and get a handle on my extremely high EGT's.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:49 PM

thanks, I wasn't planning on going nuts looking for power anyway so based on what ive read and youhave helped to confirm for me it should fit my needs quite well, Thanks!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I can't add much only confirm what you probably already know. After deleting I went a few days without the Transmission download from H&S because their email with the unlock code ended up in my junk mail. I can say that after loading it, it really smoothed things out and the Transmission wasn't as jumpy. So yes it's worth the money.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS COPILOT LOCKUP works just like they say. yes it is pricey but does do what they say and very happy with mine.
oh sold my truck and kept the copilot lockup if anyone is interested $900.00

541-297-7973
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good friend has the H&S Software as well as a torque converter and it is a world of difference. Other than the Smarty, no other upgrades to the truck. I am seriously considering the XRT Pro for the trans tuner only as I already run the Smarty.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what i understand copilot lockup is the only one that truly locks the converter from 2nd gear "20-23mph" all the way through 6th. It does this by grounding a solenoid.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM

Ya but I've held my trans in third a time or 2 until it locked the converter and then it did a locked shift to third and its a little hared than I'm going to subject my truck to. I could adjust the shift firmness to correct it but with my normal driving I like what I have, the co-pilot may shift smoother when locked up coming out of second or third but its a selling feature I don't need in my application with as little as I would use it
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I would like to have it do is go 1-2-3 TC lock - 4-5-6. I really hate that slushy shift to 4th then the TC lock up. With the upgraded Torque converter and the overdrive software, MDKRams truck chirps tires in regular drive mode and he never uses Tow/haul anymore. That's more what I am after.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM

With the overdrive it would be easy enough to do, especially with the adjustable shift firmness setting, it may require that you shift it yourself on the way up to hold it in third momentarily, after it locks it will stay locked unless you get really throttle position intensive and make it downshift, if you would like come on out and I'll let you test drive mine and see if you want to pursue it further