3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

2009 Cummins info please

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Cummins info please

So, my college graduation is coming upon me within the next year (only due to scheduling, otherwise i would be done in the next 4 months) but my promise to myself was i would by a Dodge Ram 2500 cummins, for my graduation, (could be a little before ) im in pursuit of a 2009, but am very picky when it comes to things like this. well to keep myself from rambling on, i guess im looking for any information to help me get going, what i should look for, where i can buy it is a big one, im from CT and dont know where to find a reliable dealer, i have looked around but mostly found gas and of course i want diesel. im also looking for ideas what i should do to the truck, to get the optimum performance, sound etc, im relatively savy with my hands as i am going for engineering, but will always read up and of course take advice if i dont know how to do something. also if anyone has anything they would like to share about there experiences with the 09, 08, 07.5 would be greatly appreciated as well

anything will be very appreciated.
thank you
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
I have an 08 2500HD Mega Cab bought new in Nov 07. My truck has the 6spd Auto, 4X4 with 3:73 gears. I have added gauges for EGT, Boost, and transmission temp on the A-pillar. I am also using a Smarty S67, M23 software on CaTCHER level 3 with a 5" TBE and the EGR is blocked.

I would think you might get a better deal dollar wise on a new 2010 truck than a used 09 truck. If you do buy use then change out all of the fluids and filters to be sure there fresh from the time you have bought the truck. I would read every thing you can on the 6.7L engine and the Dodge truck. I am attaching two links that should help you in reviewing what to look for.

The first is from Turbo Diesel Register : http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

The second is from Cummins home page:
http://cumminsengines.com/every/appl...odge_ram.page?

Hope this helps?

Jim,
P.S. I am a retired engineer from Caterpillar, been retired two years now.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

WOW! I thank you very much for all the information, I have begun reading the turbo diesel buyers guide and have already learned so much.

How do you like your 08 HD? How is the 6 speed auto to drive with? Just wondering, how would a 10 be a better dollar deal than 09? less miles maybe?

I apologize for bombarding you with questions but you seem very knowledgeable about this subject, thanks again for your time and insight I will be reading up on these 2 links.

Thats very cool about being an engineer at Caterpillar, must have been a lot of fun.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jagsfan811
WOW! I thank you very much for all the information, I have begun reading the turbo diesel buyers guide and have already learned so much.

How do you like your 08 HD? I love the truck. We pull a5er and it is the best pulling machine on the road.
How is the 6 speed auto to drive with? It is great I prefer an auto over a stick, drove enough of manual transmission when I was a kid. I am able to back-up and pull the 5er with the auto with no problems. I tend to use the toggle switch in town and lock out the 5 and 6 overdrive gears. Keeping the RPM'S in the 1500 to 1900 range.
Just wondering, how would a 10 be a better dollar deal than 09? less miles maybe? Sorry a senior moment I meant to say a 11. New on the dealer floor and you might be able to buy for less money then a used truck since the dealer has incentives to sell new from Chrylser.I apologize for bombarding you with questions but you seem very knowledgeable about this subject, thanks again for your time and insight I will be reading up on these 2 links.

Thats very cool about being an engineer at Caterpillar, must have been a lot of fun.
Yes designing Big Boy Toy's was great.
Jim
Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM

do all new 6.7L's come stock with a toggle switch that can cancel out the 5th and 6th gear? the new body style of the 10 and 11 have grown on me and i would love to get my hands on the power wagon with the front bumper winch. i have been comparing stats from the previous years on the site you gave me.

on a side note what is a 5er? is that a 5th wheel?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The automatic 6 speed trans has the manual mode toggle you can select as well as an exhaust brake. Manual trans is just that... I love my automatic and exhaust brake! Unfortunately, the Power Wagon can't be had with the Cummins still .

Yes 5er = 5th wheel.

PS. I'm still doing engineering, not designing, but figuring out how to manufacture the designs...
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
The automatic 6 speed trans has the manual mode toggle you can select as well as an exhaust brake. Manual trans is just that... I love my automatic and exhaust brake! Unfortunately, the Power Wagon can't be had with the Cummins still .

Yes 5er = 5th wheel.

PS. I'm still doing engineering, not designing, but figuring out how to manufacture the designs...

i really liked that power wagon, but of course the cummins comes first haha, i will look forward to the 6 speed auto and exhaust brake ive heard great things about both.

awesome how do you like engineering?

what year truck do you have?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, engineering is great, but I do more management than engineering now... It is a superb foundation to have wether you stay technical or move into management. Good look with it! Check my signature, it is a 2007.5... My buddy has a Power Wagon and it is sweet. I guess they're scared the Cummins is too strong for all the locked up diffs and low gears in the X-case. Hopefully they will beef something up and offer it with the Cummins.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Well, engineering is great, but I do more management than engineering now... It is a superb foundation to have wether you stay technical or move into management. Good look with it! Check my signature, it is a 2007.5... My buddy has a Power Wagon and it is sweet. I guess they're scared the Cummins is too strong for all the locked up diffs and low gears in the X-case. Hopefully they will beef something up and offer it with the Cummins.
my bad, right after i wrote that i saw it was in your signature sounds like a really nice truck, put alot of work into it. management is a good part to be in, ultimately hoping to get there too, to start off i want to work in design working on research and development. im hoping they make something like the power wagon also looks like a great truck. i am no doubt going with a 6.7L 09 and above but i guess it comes down to best deal whether or not it is 09, 10, or 11.